Post 9 of 9 Summary

Post #9 The Summary and Story

If you’ve read my posts, then you probably get it. I’m not a programmer and want the long game, hopefully with satisfying results and a beautiful city as the achievement. And, blasting out all these ideas are a therapeutic burst of creativity, in theory for an achievable result. If the result never happens, I had fun just thinking about this and putting it all “down on paper”. (it’s something we used to use to… oh never mind)

1. One of the ideas is to make the medieval town, even more like a squirly medieval village to walled city to great city, and enjoy the ride getting there. This means wiggly roads, and potentially and “old town” with the mix of buildings that stop upgrading and endure and newer buildings greater than the ones that came before.
  2. One of the ideas is to make a walled city reflect the onion development of ancient cities, and the tension between the walled safety and the pressure for growth.
  3. One of the ideas is to have a little more storied reason and progression for trade and conflict, albeit light. But, something a little more than every 2 to 5 years an attack comes. And, a little something where the player has and impact.
  4. The End would come when the player had politics in balance with the neighbors, a beautiful city, successful trade, and the land is coming under one King, and the player agrees to join with the kingdom. (Take pictures. Repeat the process on a new map.)

One of the glaring gaps in the game is the complete lack of any meaningful interaction between the village or its Omniscient God-Like Creator (i.e., me and thee) and anything off the map.
Oh, you fight off semi-random raiders and get traveling merchants bringing a random assortment of goods, but you can’t really dicker with either group, have no diplomatic relations with anybody or anything - IRL, even wolves and bears learn to stop coming near a town when everybody shoots at them!

I don’t know precisely what parameters Crate set for themselves in the game: maybe Diplomacy is right off the table completely. But it would add an entire new ‘layer’ to the game if you did have some way of bargaining directly with merchants to have them bring certain goods, or bargain with the Local Lords who keep sending those raiders your way.

As for the continued buildup of the town/village itself, I think it is possibly indicative that many of the buildings have no Upgrades, or only One Upgrade currently: there is lots of room in the game we are currently playing for more ‘vertical expansion’ into the realm of a thriving commercial and intellectual Medieval city, and a Diplomacy addition could give such a city influence beyond the playing field/map. This could add such Late Medieval effects as:

Trade Fairs - held outside the city walls, attracting merchants from the far corners of the land with exotic goods of all kinds. The more you can provide military/diplomatic protection for the far-traveling merchants, the better the Fairs get.
International Banking - They help the foreign merchants do business in the Fairs, but if they set up a branch in the city they can facilitate all kinds of actions - production, trade, construction - in the city itself.
Monuments. Really grandiose Buildings that take a lot of effort, time, gold, and materials to build, but enhance the city’s reputation, bring in merchants, gold, visitors - even pilgrims. IF they want to keep religion largely out of the game, some other possibilities could be Palatial Residences, great City Halls or Guild Halls, massive City Market buildings or areas - and if the game ever gets rivers and bridges, a great stone bridge complete with room on it for buildings and a massive gate house on the end away from the city.

1 Like

Yes, you’re in that same line of thinking, where the whole nature of the city development and its relationship to the outside world can grow far beyond “Tier 4” upgrade to your city center, the city is humming along and you’re pretty much ready to try another random map. I don’t really want to suggest an Avatar per se, but the idea that there is a generic “governor” that the player is represented by, and actions affect the interaction with the “outside” which can come in all kinds of forms. A lot of this is already represented in other similar games, so what is going to make this one more than “it’s nice to try and a little different graphically”.

I kind of like the sandbox/dollhouse nature of the game. I want to build a town with only a little bit of difficulty leveled in with the peppering of raids and resource management. I just want to magically build little architectural areas and see procedural growth in the town, not be the entire municipal administration for a city. I do like a lot of the points and topics you bring up and am not really hear to contest anything specific. I just want there to be a voice of simplicity in design and execution to be here with the multi-layered intensely detailed and micro-managing ideas you present.

1 Like

It has been explained to me that the Game Concept is of a miscellaneous group of refugees founding a new place far from their oppressive former home, and therefore utterly egalitarian and non-heirarchial. I could argue that this means they are North American pre-city natives (which would make a heck of a game, but quite different from the one we are playing!) but whatever.

Point is that from that I do not realistically think we are going to get a City Administration and ‘Tiers’ of civil population like nobles, merchants, serfs, etc. - or many of the mechanics associated with such differentiations, like City Halls, Palaces, Police, or other ‘heirarchial’ structures.

On the other hand, some more substantial ‘contact’ with the Outside World besides the deus ex machina Traders and Raiders is possible even within the context of the current game, and could be added without massive re-coding or re-design of the basic game, so I, at least, will keep trying to suggest ways that could be done . . .

There’s a lot of interesting ideas expressed throughout this multi-post thread. Given that we haven’t yet seen everything that Crate may throw into the mix, I’m one who is open to how things will evolve.

That said, when suggesting more substantial contact with the outside world, if there aren’t variables involved, then the point of that contact is lost. So thinking that the varying results of that contact could be added without a whole LOT of additional work isn’t realistic, as it would also likely effect the growth of the town either in a positive or negative way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.