Price of xpac to high? Thoughts?

Base game in my region costs $9.5

You just gotta love region pricing. It’s a nice policy.

Judging by his reply here

I think he doesn’t understand the expac’s price in contrast with the base game. He isn’t disagreeing with the pricing itself
I think everyone feels the same now, Grim Dawn should at some point have higher price tag. Probably through some anniversary edition of sorts

GD got high replayability, and even solely for this reason both core game and xpack are basically underpriced. Other positive sides and aspects of the game aside.
In terms of gaming experience, balance and support, GD is top quality aRPG - even compared to products released by bigger studios.
Not that it’s perfect, but overall quality of the game overcome the resources Crate got on hand.

I also think that the low initial price of the core game (business motivated decision coming by a small studio) spoiled some/many of the players. People use to underestimate GD and pay credit to bigger studios (D3, PoE), but use to forget that if they are putting all three of these in the same basket by default, it means a lot about the quality of the product Crate have developed.

IMO price of the xpack is positioned pretty well - not too low, not too high. Available by almost everyone willing to try the new content. It’s, undoubtedly, on purpose.
Price is also somewhere between the price Blizz use to charge for an AAA product, and the low quality experience the F2P PoE provides.

shrugs well if they had spent more time understanding how the game has changed and grown since its inception, they would understand why things are they way they are.

You can’t change the past, but you can change the future.

A range for the price point was set when the game was initially funded through the Kickstarter (probably before - it’s been so long ago). So one can only imagine the cries of “money grab” from people if the estimated price suddenly jumped to double what it was initially set. I think this says a lot about Crate and their business ethics, not to mention their work ethics.

As for an Anniversary Edition, the price doesn’t go up, it goes down. At least that’s what I’ve seen from other games.

Ah yes, I always forget Grim Dawn was meant to be only 1 act

If you look at the list that compares the amount of content to the base game i am shocked that it is so cheap, Would gladly pay more and support the game further.

Yep, i’d happily pay more to keep crate making awesome games & on a selfish note the xpac will easily double my playing time,
which is far too many hours!:wink:

Yup region pricing is good and understandable, imo. Not every country is the same economically. For me, in the US, doing general labor jobs (nothing ultra specialized or requiring college but come on folks, try to do better than McD’s if you can, there are places that value your time and effort a bit more seriously) I can make enough to buy the expac in just a little over an hour. I think people in other countries should have that same chance.

From a US perspective 18$ is chump change. If you see a US citizen crying about this price chances are you are dealing with a child with no (or little) funds of their own or someone who doesn’t actually work.

I have been with Grim Dawn since build 18 or so whenever the level cap was 35. At that time I could not back through their website but it went directly to steam and is what introduced me to steam.

I did not mean to start a war or any semi heated insults by any mean. Just that to some it could feel a bit off to charge basically the price of the game for the expansion.

I only compared it to the necro pac vs reaper of souls cause it was the latest add on for D3. Personally both reaper and necro are overpriced cause D3 is so not what it could have been but alas I was a sucker and got them anyway.

Grim Dawn is fantastic and worthy of the asking price but in comparison to the core games entry price seems high.

Didn’t mean for others to read into that like it’s not worth it to high, just odd but I think judging on the outcome on this thread the price is “on the button”

It’s not a matter of comparing numbers.

Does the xpax appear to contain value worth the price?

It’s evident that the base game contained far more value than the price suggested so comparing to that number suggest wanting a ‘bargain’ like that again…

I live in Brazil, I earn 3 times less than first world countries and I pay 2 times more for the games

THE PRICE IS FINE.

Yes 18$ isn’t much but I kind of fall in your assumptions, I don’t work stay at Home Dad of three (when I did work an only 2 Kids daycare would have been $1000 a month I was bringing in $1100 full time retail, seemed stupid to work for 100 so kid three wife and I decided on current situation) the real obstacle is the wife’s hatred of video games even though I game from 11pm-midnight 1am.

I wasn’t actually directing that at you if that’s what you think. It was more of a blanket for US citizens on the whole in general. Naturally my “assumptions” aren’t going glove-fit every person’s experience. The point being that procuring 18$ in a small amount of time (and legally) is exceedingly possible here.

The base game is £20
I have 2648 hours in it
I feel like I owe Crate a little more money

My thought is that the base game was too cheap :wink:

I cannot disagree with your math, half the area and a third of the classes would be about half the price of the base game.

The problem with this ‘naive approach’ is that every expansion ever is more expensive than the base game if you compare it like that. So clearly that is not the approach used by any game, so I cannot really blame Crate for not doing so either.

Compared to other expansions (what they offered compared to the base game and what was charged for them) it seems like a fair price to me.

I bought Grim Dawn this year at Steam´s Summer Sale. I payed…8 €?
Since then I have over 650 hours in this game, more than I have ever spent in a game except WoW (don´t ask…).

If Crate would ask me if I would give them another 20 € now…“Shut up and take my money!”.

The expansion will be about 17 €. These are:

• 3 packages of cigarettes
  • a bouquet of flowers for my wife (asking her nicely, if I can play a little bit more)
  • one visit to the zoo with my son (only me, he need not pay anything)

It´s fine.

1243 hours according to Steam. I have no issues with the price of the expansion. I expect another 1000 hours from the expansion and the mods.

It’s an odd situation in that Grim Dawn vanilla was supposed to be a lot smaller (Homestead killing the Amalgamation was supposed to be the end if I recall). Then the devs added Fort Ikon + Ch’thonian Campaign, expanded/changed Act 2, added the Hidden Path and Port Valbury and so on.

So essentially you are getting a great deal for the base game which after all is done and said should probably be $35 or more. If you cut down all that excess level design to what was supposed to be the main game with the Homestead ending - the expansions would probably have nearly the same amount of area or just under.

So the expansion costing about 1/3 less then the base game makes sense.

This. I consider the D3 necromancer pack (no actual content/1 playable class) or Destiny 1/2 (No words for these empty husks of games) far more as a rip-off. If you think about it, the price of the expansion equals ordering 1 steak at a restaurant or even 1 ticket for the movies these days. I get a lot more enjoyment out of GD and it’s expansion.