Project Cornucopia: The Unofficial Rebalancing Mod

Hi,

wish you guys good luck. And I am eagerly awaiting what you guys will create!

I hope you find a solution to the missing aether chaos resistence starting at homestead. :slight_smile:

Do you have an estimate when your first version will go live?

Not at all! :smiley:

Iā€™m exceptionally busy for the next week and wonā€™t even start on it until then. After that, weā€™ll get to tweaking some skills together. We havenā€™t yet decided on a release methodology, i.e., should we release things in chunks (i.e., weā€™ve edited skills A->F and havenā€™t touched anything else, have fun and tell us what you think!) as we come up with them to let people play around with them or should we release the whole package (i.e., everything touched upon) and let people tell us if X is over/underperforming in Y circumstance?

I think somewhere in between could be healthy.

I personally think ā€œchunksā€ is better. A cascade that slowly marches towards completion means more time on feedback and less stress on making changes (since youā€™re working in sections and donā€™t have to tackle the whole thing at once). Also means faster releases and somewhat less work for you guys.

Nerf of Pet stats and tieing these stats to cunning / phys / spirit

<3 luv you for ever if you do.

Basically we both like the idea but also have some minor conflicting feelings on the matter to sort through. For example I might argue against weighing any epics and legendaries for nemesi at all, but I AM for weighing specific affixes for some. And this is a slight weighing btw, so something youā€™d only notice after many farm runs vs. one boss as opposed to another. I like the idea of giving Heroes even higher weightings because you canā€™t control when youā€™ll see the one you want and where. We both completely agree itā€™s something weā€™d like to attempt and play with. How players receive the gear they covet so much is a core part of any ARPG and has to feel good.

Cooldowns have a place in the game. I mean I could think of some interesting mechanics that would allow the removal of ā€œhardā€ cooldowns, but Itā€™d take a huge amount of work in any game, and probably isnā€™t viably possible in this gameā€™s engine. Cooldown reduction builds are also very dangerous and very good and breaking the game, so we will look at adding more -% cooldown to the game, but we will be very careful to make sure you canā€™t get past the amount we want, and that there are trade-offs. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. As we wrote up in our original post, some of your grievances may not be addressed until we start working on and incorporating our second mod idea, new content. While we do have plans to rework some items that fail to compete with similar items, so that they can meet the needs of other builds, we will purposefully leave gaps where we feel the best thing would be a completely new item(s).

Unfortunately we have to work within the restraints of the gameā€™s engine so Iā€™m not sure how well we can disconnect the freeze from the damage of OFF. We are aware of this and will look into it though. If it cheers you up, one of the things we want to do in our extremely hard challenge dungeons, and not in all of them, but in some we want to give the bosses slight weaknesses. So maybe one boss, randomly, is slightly vulnerable to freeze. We would probably give him a buff he can occasionally cast to make himself immune here and there, but when itā€™s down he can be frozen for a rather short period of time. Thereā€™d be no indicator of this and itā€™d be up to players to randomly discover which bosses have which weaknesses.

And the idea is that the boss would still be rather challenging with freeze working somewhat, and extremely challenging without freeze. Other bosses will require much more complicated solutionsā€¦ (imagine a boss whoā€™s weakness shifts at different %'s of hpā€¦ huehuehue)

Thatā€™s just a rough example btw. Weā€™ve even considered making some bosses that basically require multiplayer or an insanely broken build to beat. :]. But Iā€™m getting FARRRRRR ahead of myself.

Something to consider though since I went off your question and rambled: What if we added a potion or item that temporarily let you convert your ice damage to another type? Voila, you can hurt the boss again, albeit with partial conversion youā€™ll hurt them less.

Let me be clear: I think there should be occasional punishment for building in a single damage type. I also think there should be workarounds. While I personally (I donā€™t think Ceno feels as strongly here) defend boss immunities, I do think they should be easier to break. I think some bosses still do have like 500% immunity on stuff. But Iā€™m also understanding that some immunities might be best unbreakable. Generally stunning bosses is a terrible way to trivialize a fight. Whatā€™s cool is that we CAN make it so that some bosses are only freeze-able/stun-able/trap-able/slow-able for a phase of their fight.

Probably a long discussion we should and will have in private, but I will say right here that I think I concur with an added statement:
Chunks makes more sense the earlier in development we are. People are hungry for changes and so are we, and the more feedback we get the better.
It makes a lot of sense to me to do chunks, but nice meaty chunks, not lazy tiny chunks, and release them as we go. We can even start working on the next chunk while weā€™re getting feedback from the first, because we can touch upon areas we didnā€™t on the first chunk that donā€™t directly interact with the first chunk, and then adjust things from the first chunk based on feedback. God I canā€™t write when Iā€™m tired. Iā€™m going to bed after this.

Basically I think that while you and I should play around a bit with changes we make first, and as soon as weā€™re moderately happy with them we should let em have it. People might find huge version changes more satisfying, but being able to tweak as we go will be more helpful to us. Things will be most touch and go at the start so we might as well wing it a little, and as we hit our stride we can start slowing down and releasing even larger versions.

Like, Iā€™d be okay with our first version not touching monsters at all (asides from DA let me edit in lel) but touching a large amount of skills and the mastery bars. That in of itself would be a really nice improvement for a lot of people I think. I also think that in terms of being able to prioritize what needs our attention will happen naturally and organically if we let people help us more as we go in the first versions. Iā€™m confident in our ability to sift through the feedback and pick what we agree with and disagree with.

I really hope my idea works. I think it will.

Ceno,

I went ahead and added this Discussion thread to the Mod Compendium I

I didnā€™t mean to completely remove it or anything, but have stuff that decreases cooldowns with maybe a NEGATIVE effect of having reduced damage. This could create, like you said, interesting builds. But yeah, I guess you know what youā€™re doing and what you want to accomplish, so Iā€™m all for it.

I dont get why people keep knocking Callidorā€™s Tempest. My Druid has over 17K DPS and it has 55% Weapon Damage so it can benefit from life steal. It melts packs like butter and combined with Devastation it also beats bosses without much effort.

Thank you! We appreciate it!

Yeah, I mean, itā€™s good, dude. Itā€™s better than good, actually, itā€™s probably among the best skills in the game. But it just doesnā€™t feel good, at least not to me. Hence the contention.

This is literally one of the most obvious ways Iā€™ve considered to implement more CDR. Be it on a skill, temporary buff or item. Definitely something that will be played withā€¦ later. As long as I limit the slots where CDR appears so you canā€™t get close to 100%, should be fun and fine. Should be? Should beā€¦

Your build is literally the reason I said CT is fine. It begs the questions though: are there other ways to build CT viably into ultimate? Not like swap one item out, but a few, or big devotion changes. Second question: If not, does it matter? One viable build per active skill is more than some get :rolleyes:.

Also devastation isā€¦ extremely strong. So, does CT NEED devastation to be good vs bosses? Are there any alternatives? Does there need to be? Sigh.

Also have to ask how good CT is without the gear? Is it too hard to build into? Iā€™m actually 100% fine with gear-reliant builds. I mean you can always farm on a non gear-reliant build, and I think itā€™s interesting that some skills be more item dependent than others. Some skills can scale well all the way to the end, some skills can scale well only once you break into their ultimate levels. Diversity is the spice of life.

Iā€™m also wondering about devastation. Itā€™s so fucking good. It makes me wonder if itā€™s too good or if other spells just need to be better. Bleh. Looking at you doombolt.

But yeah I briefly played with CT when I generated a lvl 85 for your build. As you can see in my signature itā€™s the next thing I want to test before making my mind up about changes. Skill feels fine to me, but itā€™s been a while so I want to double check. I donā€™t really want to change anything with the skill when itā€™s already good, just because Ceno doesnā€™t like how it feels heh. But perhaps if he can convince me, and you, a progenitor of a CT build, that the change is even more fun, weā€™ll change it. Anyway goodnight guys.

The Lower levels of Callidorā€™s Tempest are pretty weak for how much it costs. Itā€™s why I usually level with Lightning Nova until Act 4 Elite. You can use other gear especially if you go Sorcerer as you will want to use Warpfire /Aldanarā€™s Vanity combo instead.
CT doesnā€™t need Devastation, but since in has 100% synergy with it I donā€™t see why you wouldnā€™t take it.

Love the idea of the mod! Thanks for being willing to put in the work for all the rest of us!

My thoughts on skills that need some work:

Upheaval
Being a WPS that doesnā€™t stack proc chance like other WPS makes it pretty undesirable. I would love to see it turned into a proc-on-crit skill like found on gear, if thatā€™s even possible. Could make it much more usable and create the possibility for some interesting 2h caster build if done right. Numbers would probably have to be rebalanced, though.

Forcewave
Feels like Blade Arc always edges it out. Base skill and Tremor could both use some love IMO.

Canister Bomb
Love the earlier idea about making it ā€œwavesā€ of explosives.

Thermite Mine
Sure, itā€™s pretty powerful, but it feels quite frustrating to use as well. May not be a big issue.

Amarastaā€™s Blade Burst
Does this really need explaining? The investment never feels like it pays off.

Olexraā€™s Flash Freeze
I do like the idea of this and Blade Trap being usable on bosses, but I feel their power would need to be greatly adjusted downward.

What do you guys think of Bloody Pox? I mean on one hand it is awesome at procā€™s but because that power comes from 1 skill point the rest of the skill is undervalued.

Bloody Pox is both a DoT and a Debuff and each other moderator adds the same. It feels like it trying to do too much and therefore doesnā€™t have the power needed to contend win ultimate. I feel the bleed and poison number need a bit of boost and maybe make the debuff as transmutations

Are there any abilities in the game that ā€œconsumeā€ DoTā€™s?, AKA Jade Harvester.

I feel that would work quite well in Grim dawn. Doom Bolt as an example could consume vitality/bleed Dots on target and convert them into a AoE. It would encourage setting things up and tactical nuking.

Hi again!

Wanted to ask, what are your guys thoughts are on resists? I like to read the build forums a lot. And it seems to me that every successful build published there has to rack up resists all the way up to the caps.

I would like to see resists work in a more strategic way: Like based on the need to fight certain X boss, for example.

Same with resist debuffs. They feel mandatory.

Could be wrong, though. Iā€™m not as experienced as most of you. Just my observations.

For OFF, making it an actual castable debuff (like Haunt) with ā€œFreeze target for X secondsā€?

Posting from phone so bear with me.

Thanks for the tip. I donā€™t mind at all that itā€™s weak at early levels. I had a small talk with Ceno about this, but not everything should be intuitive. Some skills should be like hidden gems which reward players who push them in investment.

Upheaval, havenā€™t personally put much thought here. I like the concept but in practice it falters, especially since crit chance was nerfed as well. This skill needs love, but I donā€™t exactly just want to make another WPS eitherā€¦ though two handed could use one. Hmm

Forcewave, I have had a couple ideas here but will need to generate a level 85 completely built character so I can test it against other builds better.

Thermite mine. Ehhhhhhhh. Itā€™s sort of a skill Iā€™ve been unconsciously avoiding because itā€™s not my kind of skill. But Iā€™ll take a hard look now that youā€™ve mentioned it. If itā€™s strong but frustrating thatā€™s still a category of, to be addressed later, if at all.

ABB, weā€™re well aware. We have like four solid ideas to help this out though. Iā€™m confident one will stick.

OFF, Iā€™m entrusting this to Ceno atm.

Agree on BP. Iā€™ve suggested more or less the same thing to Ceno. Weā€™re not sure how much is just an issue of buffing. We plan on adding more items to support it later after we buff it though. So still may not be great until mod 2. I definitely want it to scale better in its ultimate levels.

Funny thing is I was just talking to Ceno two weeks ago about making a mastery based on combos, and consuming DoTs. Will be hard to implement. No plans to rework and anything existing to behave like jade harvester.

We agree, completely. I donā€™t feel as strongly as Ceno but I think he was exaggerating when he said you should be able to ā€œfeel comfortable walking around with 0% resistsā€.

But ultimate should require less investment in resists than it currently does, and the need for resist reduction is plainly ridiculous. We hope to lower enemy resists across the board, with some receiving buffs in other defensive ways. (HP, chance to dodge, castable debuff or a debuff aura, for example) We still want high resists enemies that you beat with resist reduction, but now it feels like everything is beaten with resist reduction.

We hope that after we lower enemy resists we can also lower the numbers on all player side resist reduction so it doesnā€™t end up so darn overwhelming.

You will have to Nerf the holy hell out of bleed damage or restrict it to acid only to balance this. Bleed hits for Ridicules values if you count the whole duration of the dot. Before resists Brutalix alone is doing millions of damage over itā€™s duration. 450% duration and 2000% bleed damage on a base 5000 over 15s bleed. Popping that zit would be catastrophic to even bosses. Even if it is once every 45sā€¦

Or perhaps just make it so consuming the DoTs only does a % of what the total dmg would have been.

or, since itā€™s already going to require a ton of work to implement, just limit it to like 3 sec worth of DoT damage.