Question about the limitations concerning combinations of skillboni in affixes on magic/rare items

For instance ‘Apostate’ only has a combination of 3 Inquisitor skills with 3 Necro Skills. Why arent there more combinations?

or “of the Hurricane” only buffs the Skill ‘Windevil’.

i strongly guess that these are limited due to balancing issues (since i havent played many classes yet), so that buffing other skills would make the affix too strong. So curious to read if its that or another reason.
really like the green items in GD since they’re really useful but i get so many minisighs/frustration when i see nice affixes on an item buffing the “wrong” skill. Id wish there would be a greater skill pool associated. Same goes for other combos.

So that the loot pool isn’t grossly diluted.

Because hurricanes have wind. Most - but not all - Rare affixes only support one skill except for the dualmastery affixes as you identified above. What else do you suppose Hurricane should support?

1 Like

tbh. im not experienced enough in GD to make educated suggestion. And it was rather in general than pointing to ‘that one’ skill. Since there are more skills that use lighning or cold, it just feels artifically limited, like in aboves example. theres a cold+lighning dmg affix combo “of fallen skies” ideally for my build, but ‘Trozans Sky Shards’ is not in my skilllist as light/cold based ranged apostate :wink: Everytime i loot such an item theres a small minifrustration moment. Woudnt complain about ‘Apostate’ with +2 ranged expertise and +2 reaping strike either :slight_smile:

So the Question arose why only one skill benefits here.

Summary

When you play an unusual combo of dmg type and class combination. the itemization gets harder it seems and it feels like the game wants to push you into some mainstream direction. (but lets not start a discussion how much sense non-mainstream builds have, if its fun its sense enough in my book)

I think the issue is that there are so many directions you could take some or all of the mastery combos in terms of skill selection and damage types they support that it’s hard to cover all of the bases without diluting the loot pool as Ceno mentioned.

So, a lot of the current ones we do have support the “mainstream” or advised skills + damage types first as those make the most sense and are likely the ones people will be picking and levelling with (e.g. a player is likely going to be levelling Wind Devil to use Cold or Lightning damage before they have the option to convert it into Vitality damage through Morgoneth’s set which can be equipped at Level 94).

I do wish some of these affixes were more open to other damage types to give the potential for support to some unsupported concepts (largely ones that are relegated to “what ifs” or funsies through the Conduits) but there’s not much to be done about it now.

1 Like

I think the selection of skill rank bonuses on green affixes is pretty good. The selection of resistances, however… :smiling_imp: