Randomized Barriers

Two new screenshots are up showing the randomized barrier feature we’ve added that will help to provide some variation in the flow of levels from one play-through to another.

In these screenshots you can see two possible routes that may or may not be open to the player in a given gameplay session. The effect on your course through a level can be minor, just causing you to take a slightly different path, or more significant, causing you to bypass larger areas.

Random areas was one thing I was missing in tq, even if it is as slight as this I like it :slight_smile:

Woo! That’s pretty awesome!

The weapon in the second picture… what is it? A rifle or musket?

Can the barriers be destroyed? If not, will there be barriers which can be destroyed (possibly leading to secret areas)?

Good news. :slight_smile:

Random areas which are still hand made, great. Can’t wait to walk through the grass and enjoy that fantastic physic-effect. ^^

Will there be barriers which can be destroyed (possibly leading to secret areas)?

I would assume it is possible, since the game allows for destructible terrain which could potentially be placed in these ‘path blockers’. This could allow for some interesting secret areas indeed.

The possibilities this allows you are really cool, I hope to see them used a lot!

It is a rifle - the levels of various technology in GD are anachronistic to real-world technology of a similar time period. In some areas GD is more advanced, while in other’s it is more primitive.

These barriers cannot be destroyed, as that would defeat their primary purpose, which is to create alternate paths through levels. We do have other things that can be destroyed to gain access to “hidden” areas. Like there are sometimes places in the fieldstone wall where it is crumbling and you can blast your way through.

Nice! GD is on the right track!

Now thats just being sneaky…cool, but sneaky :smiley:

I like it.

looks awesome, and nice touch with the barriers,

and the graphsic in general is utter superb, Im drooling to try this game out

keep up the great work you are doing

Yay! And for the advancement and betterment of the game - things get more interesting!

A variance in level is also a variance in experience, so I’m happy about this.

Great Job!

Sweet feature guys :smiley: nice to see some more screen shots too ofc!

Just what I always wanted from TQ, and now we have that too! Grrrrreat!

Very nice.

Video update soon? :slight_smile:

Randomization is one of the very few things about TQ that let me down. It is fantastic to see that you have been able to combine handcrafted exteriors with randomized barriers.

I hope that you are also able to make each alternate path diverse enough. Expecting brutal melee opponents and ending up have to take a path through ranged npcs instead could throw someone for quite a loop (in a good way).

Even the simple additions of path blocking will add a bunch of variety to the standard maps. While I didn’t miss randomization too much in TQ (and I had 45 different characters) I applaud anything that gives replays a bump up. Nice.

Lookin’ Great!

\m/

Wow! This will add to game’s re-playability I think. Great job.

great update about a great feature, thanks!
in TQ there were wide areas that bottlenecked so you could essentially choose to take your own route through, but i’d usually stick to my preffered path anyway, just out of habit. mandating alternate routes is a great way for subsequent playthroughs to offer a little something new. i know ill be wondering where the alternate routes are and what they would have had in store when i play. :slight_smile:

how about paths that open based on side quests?