Ranged Auto Attack Build Discussion

Adding piercing-through on all range weapons would definitely help in Crucible and Realms (guess it was already mentioned) .

3 Likes

Yes that should be a base stat on ranged weapons like chances to block for shields, with minus boosts on ranged devo like Hydra, Hawkā€¦ Other problems like CC are much harder to address imo.

On another thought, the ā€œLeaping Runesā€ might get more interesting if CC would be viable.

CCā€“>Hop backā€“>Start shooting again.

Disengage runes would be a lot more viable if they could hop ā€œoverā€ obstacles.

As it is you just bounce off enemies and any object behind you. Itā€™s the same sort of problem Leap runes have, but even worse because the core concept of these is escape and they just donā€™t do it very well.

Until that changes they arenā€™t reliable compared to Blink types and I donā€™t think any CC buff is going to change that.

1 Like

I like the idea of decreasing boss resistance to CC in SR. That would at least provide more strategy.

I tested Elgoth vindicator with 160k dps and sub 15 sec dummy kill in crucible

Not exactly what i call a ranged experience.

Yup, tell me about it. But hey, you can still shoot the dummy from distance :rofl:

Tag another example [1.1.3.1] Lightning 2h Ranged Vindicator, Gladiator in ~ 7 minutes

If i shoot dummy from distance it take almost 20 seconds to kill it. Damn, even dummies hate ranged in GD.

1 Like

Dummies are not smart enough to appreciate ranged builds :slight_smile:

Ranged is interesting and is somewhat useful in campaign. I personally enjoyed leveling Purifier. But end game ranged is just figure of speech.

1 Like

True, its possible to push AA tooltip to 200k and kill dummy in ~9 seconds. You won`t survive crucible with such setup, tho.

I know, Iā€™m joking.
Itā€™s actually hard to make a proper balance ranged vindicator these days.

Well, when the best strategy is to stay in one spot and hold AA button its kinda hard to balance anything.

I donā€™t know why nobody mentioned that bosses and heroes and just in general enemies should be actively, really actively kiting.

Why only ranged people and dot casters and pet users have to worry about positioning while meleeers not only sit in the face of everything but also clear the fastest? Make THEM need to spend time herding, chase down kiting enemies while everyone else keeps shooting them up!

Too outside the box? WRONG! Literally the succubi and advocates from the first diablo.

Too hard to implement?

Not really, enemies already run around (Salazar), and sometimes run back, or even use disengage skills. They donā€™t do this often enough. Up their frequency! And more ranged, telegraphed projectile bosses please.

Not true, imo, currently melee are in a bad place. Like you can make them decent endgame farmers but itā€™s much harder and not as efficient as with some caster builds.

Otherwise your propsed changes are good but I think itā€™s way to late in the game to rework a.i. and make new bosses animations

No need for new animations if no disengage skills are added to existing (vanilla+AoM) bosses. Very few dbr-s need to be changed (depends on the # of shared AI/Movementcontroller templates.), and most of the changes should be just weightings. Donā€™t quote me on it though, I donā€™t have the extracted game files laying around to check.

I honestly have no idea if thatā€™s easy or hard to implement so maybe Z. will clarify. I always thought that the game looked worse than D3 for example just because itā€™s a game from a small studio using old engine. So I never had no expectactions of bosses having three stages of unique animation like they do in D3. Although Korvaak is really well done, probably the best boss animation in the whole game. Also some new devotion effects and spell effects look much better after latest patches (like Trozanā€™s Sky Shard).

teleport doesnā€™t even need animation (but might be bad in terms of getting an AI to do it defensively), but yeah, itā€™s probably Zantai who can best measure up the work cost, and expected result of the proposal.

Range attacks should have some kind of pierce or AOE advantage over melee. Why would i want to run a ranged build when AAR does just fine? and piercing too.

One problem with ranged is that Storm Spread (or Jaxxons) make you wanna stay in melee anyway. Many dmg procs also happen around the character.