Reakd's Lightning AAR SR 75+ Mage Hunter

Seems to have been an error as it was unapproved, not deleted or moderated, which isn’t something that’s typically done here.

Great idea though. You can both chill the fuck out with a temp ban and then learn to sit in opposite corners of the forum.

Ceno is only a Praetorian, not a moderator or dev and wouldn’t know this unless they specifically told him.

Because it takes an ungodly amount of time to find those things, more than most people are willing to spend. Actually finding even one of those rares without using an editor is extremely rare, half a dozen is practically impossible. I know I would never find these items and I’ve played 3k hours already.

This is why many guides have no rare setups, to make it vaguely achievable. Otherwise you just force players to farm for months on end, or use an editor.

Simple answer: Most people here dislike farming several hundred hours or even thousands for a single item, never mind doing that four times such as your build requires.
In Grim Dawn the focus generally lies trying out new builds rather then going as far you can with one build as you might see in a MMO. Thus most are not interested in spending an such enormous amount of time on getting the items for a single build.

More complicated answer: What I have generally seen of builds on this forum is that there is a focus on making builds as good a possible without resorting to super rare items. Using double rares is generally seen as crutch to help under performing builds function better or for just the bit of extra stats in fighting vs supper bosses and high level SR. Thus having several double rare items in the build could be interpreted as that the build is bad because it needs so many double rares to function. Not that this is true. Its just the negative rep that double rares have on this forum that creates this association.

The other part is that you have not proven that this build performs substantially better then those “low variants” you mention. It also includes some weird choices that even I can easily see(I’m not a builder or anything I’m just someone who has played Grim Dawn a lot). Like picking Null Field on a AAR build with uncapped CS for example. Or using Seal of Skies instead of something more useful like Seal of Corruption.

Pretty much this. This is the stigma that builds using multiple double rare/hard-to-get items (like +5 Badge of Mastery) get.

I don’t mind builds like this and I doubt others would be up in arms if builds or build creators did these 2 simple things:

[ul]
[li]Your build doesn’t need your greens to be playable. If you have fancy greens that allow you to squeeze out extra stats then great, feel free to share to show what a build is like at it’s full potential. However, at least be courteous enough to post a link to a version without them for people who don’t want to go through the effort to get them or use an editor. Or people who want to play your build while working towards getting the aforementioned greens.[/li][*]Be wary when you compare a build using multiple greens or difficult-to-get gear to a non-green version. Having a build using multiple greens that gets more stats than a non-green setup is fine. But do respect that while non-green setups might not be as powerful, that they can still be strong using a more limited set of items.[/ul]

For the purposes of pushing SR, though, I will admit I see the value in Reakd’s/Heaph’s approach. You aren’t going to get beyond SR110, for instance, without the defensiveness and flexibility offered by MIs.

Is there any reason to even reach SR90, let alone 110, other than bragging rights? Absolutely not. But if you want to do so to say you did so, you’re going green or getting blasted.

Thanks!
Ceno got the the point/idea of going green in this build and I really want to point out that what he says is what the build is about, approaching limits.

I respect and value Evil_Baka’s opinion on this one, yet I want to point out once more, that there are a lot of budget versions of the build around and if you really want to squeeze higher in SR you are going green. The entire point of this build was to offer sonething that complements builds like Aether Man and other easy accessible iterations of AAR with something that is targeted towards pushing it beyond the bar.

The quick hightlights were ment to cover the adjustability of the build should you miss certain rolls/have bad luck.

Regarding the “advantage over legendaries”.
I was hoping that this has been covered in the part comparing armor to phys res+flat absorb.
One of the main reasons to “go green” is phys res and its ment to be an approach towards limits.

This is my first guide ever and i was looking for feedback.

So from what ive gatherered so far:

1. Attach a video/gameplay footage.
  2. Offer a budget version even if there is plenty on the forums already.
    3.compare budget with green variant so ppl can approach towards something in between. (its a guide not a manual after all)

Did I miss anything productive?

Best regards

Reak

Hey man nice build! In your opinion, do you think lightning AAR is the best iteration or are there better versions for AAR?

Yes due to Aura of Censure, Hand of Ultos and all the support for ele-shred as well as the MI support (looking at the mainhand weapon).
If you are new to the game I’d suggest you go for a cheaper build
(Aether Man e.g. you can still take my devotions if you want tho.)

Reak,could you please tell me what’s the sheet dps of AAR just for comparing?

Welcome to the forums. Don’t mind the haters tho. There are still people here who love to see expensive builds. And there are still a few reputable builders who post expensive builds. Some builds just want that and no one can stop you from doing it.

lmao 5 greens and a perfect bom
AAR is back guys!!!

OK. I stopped reading there. The only things that hit you are bosses? I think I know who told you that…

Korvaak’s good but Spear is better. Especially with those rings.

I believe it was my dervish that you insulted, and Dmt’s. Not Mad_Lee’s. Too much green, man… In GD or otherwise.

There goes the last bit of credibility you’ve had with me.

I’m not sure who you were really addressing, me or Mad_Lee, so I’ll allow myself to represent both in this reply.

2 of my builds and vids are in top 10 crucible cleaners in the world. Mad_Lee’s guides have the number of views in 6 digits. Where the fuck are your achievements? The only build I’ve ever seen by you was riddled with errors and was only viable thanks to 10 or more GDStashed rare affixes. Pls think about that before you talk about credibility again.

That’s a valid concern but afaik there’s not much that can be done about it for aether. There’s Codex of Lies, but it’s only good for strictly non-green. You won’t be dropping Pulsing Shard or Flashwarped Tome for it.

For lightning, however, I would give Arcane Harmony pants a thought. Or if I was to make a supergreened setup like this I would probably try and squeeze in of Incantations somewhere.

Also to give a final answer on highest AAR tick i added the highest dmg dealt.

Grim Internals dps 900k to 1,4mil ST

discord people are such angry nerds lol

I am not sure of lightning has that much more effective RR than aether. Sure there is HoU but if I understood the formula right the priority is -x% resist, then y% reduced and lastly z resist reduced. Due to the fact that the highest you stack is -x% RR the multiplicative nature of y% reduced tends to not affect resists a lot unless they are, theoretically, massively overcapped though I am not sure if monsters do sport overcapped resists.

The type of RR like Ultos x% was changed and is not last,so have bigger impact than before.

Imo lighting does have much better rr. First, Censure is instant and always on. Second, Elemental Storm has 7rr more than Revenant. Third, Ultos does have an impact in certain situations. Some nemeses have as low as 18 lightning res. Meaning you can push them to 40-60 negative with -% alone. Then, 25% reduced rr translates to more than -10% and sometimes even -15% rr.

Denis Mashukov’s (sorry if I got the name wrong) tests are quite old. It might have changed or been fixed since then. I remember it contradicted the official guide back then.

But anyway, what Denis found, in theory, actually decreased the efficiency of %reduced rr for endgame but increased it for leveling. Having %reduced after fiat rr would make it stronger for enemies in negative res. And in endgame that’s where all enemies are.

But they still come after -x% RR to my knowledge, which is usually very high since that one is stackable, unlike the other two types.

Censure has a low range, barely half the screen if even that at a hardcap of like 14-16. Yes ES has a little more RR but 7 more flat RR is not a lot and the skeletons deal more damage from what I can see. How much effective -x% can elemental stack by comparison? Wrath of the Ascendant is an option for aether casters in top of the Eternal Haunt ring with -10%, so from just two gear slots we can get an additional -30%. Not so sure that many easy options exist for lightning or cold AAR. I am not even sure if those are all the options that exist for aether either.
I doubt you will find many bosses with just 18 lightning resists, if any, and standard mobs fall fast enough anyway so my point still stands.

Aether has by far the worst RR support in the game.
Skeletons 25, Ring 10%, 8% SoC, Arcane Mark 35% from the top of my head.
So we end up having 25 Type A, 43% Type C ( +25% if we add Inquisitor Death sentence - which has a lower “power per point ratio” than Aura of Censure) for a total 25 Type A 68 Type C - did i miss anything?
If not the table would look like this:

Aether

(Even if I missed anything, we still miss a B-Type [Hand of Ultos/Viper] and wont get anywhere to the total RR-Shred that Lightning can have from my experience.)

Elemental (Lightning in particular) on the other hand looks like this for this build:
Lightning

(Also referenced to in the Guide)

Now lets get into detail.
Assuming (for some magical reason) you had the same Type C (-X% aether res) as lightning has, you’d still be missing the B type that Ultos provides (aside from his insanely high dmg procc whereas Aether simply has no T3 devotion worth getting) we would be looking at:

Now that’s on a target with 100% res.

Let’s look on one of the lower % res mobs that is acknowledged as a threat to the player.
Aether vs Lightning 100% res

So our starting point here is 18% lightning res.
Again, i’ll premise that Aether has the same amount of type C RR (which it doesn’t).
Aether vs Lightning Reaper of the Lost

As you can see, lightning simply outperforms Aether in every way in terms of RR-Shred.
The only advantage of Aether is it’s his base dmg which we fully make use of due to conversion.
The biggest issue for Aether (Arcanist in particular) is that Arcanist himself doesn’t provide any Aether Resist Reduction and thus relies on it’s supportive class.
Another fact give is: Aether is very hard to convert to without a total net loss on either defense or offense which makes Aether inferior again.

The Lightning Version’s Item Support achieves Conversion, RR-Shred in a drive-by fashioned way.
You get your core defensive skills and RR shred along the way of picking up your defensives or devotions proccer (Storm-box + Aetherbolt Pendant Shred and Converting at the same time whilst demanding one of the best proccer skills in the game.)
I’d love to see more of this mechanics/comfort on other classes - but we will see what Crate and Z has in store for us in future updates.

Sources: I’ve been using The RR-Calc Sheet
taken from the Grim Dawn Discord.

Best Regards.