Reasonably powerful builds

Made a thread about my BWC Burn Purifier:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68718

150-170 is complete faceroll with this build so maybe add it to to your list.

Hey thanks for submitting this build. There is lack of caster druids out there. Pre AOM i used to play druid with the Trozan set and really enjoyed it, so glad to see it being used again. I tried out your builds in crucible this morning and managed to get to 150 with absolutely no difficulty. I tried 150 to 160 with 2 blessings and died at 160 but i think that was because I did some bad kiting. I reckon someone more focused could probably get higher.

Glad you liked it. Yhea 150-170 takes some practice to do reliably.
Btw i swapped a bit around to get seal of skies and annihilation after the newest patch, if you want the updated version.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2J8QjRZ

A tanky BWC caster? It is just doomed to be great! :slight_smile:
Sure I’ll try it.

hi, tried it out yet?

you know what would be awesome?

3 things :

1. if you mentioned how many buffs a build requires.
  2. whether the build needs to farm highly specific gear, or can make do with self-found gear too.
  3. a short gameplay video!

i started making a cadence tactician then found out that i really dont like the cadence playstyle… plus it has terrible aoe.

i wish i had known before starting :frowning:

Hi. No. But probably will test it very soon.

1. I always play all builds with 2 blessings: damage and health. No banners. Some builds can do even 170 without blessings at all, but what’s the point, you receive tributes and it’s only natural to use them.
    And all builds from 150-170 section can do 100-150 without blessings/banners without problems.
  2. These are end-game builds. Gladiator crucible is endgame. So yeah, there are gear requirements, that’s how arpgs work. I think all of these will perform at least fine in the campaign even when heavily undergeared, since they are strong builds in the first place. The ones that are most gear-dependant are conversion builds, with Beronath sword for example. Also some mastery combos simply require you to have green rare MI to cap resists. In general, if the build has zero green items it is easier to assemble.
    Also people have very different opinions what build to call gear-dependant. Some people find it absolutely normal when you have to farm specific boss for dozens of hours to farm one specific piece of gear (hello, PoE!), others find this practice stupid and obnoxious. Kinda hard to summarize and be objective here.
  3. Some authors have videos of their builds. Talk to them. You’re asking a bit too much from me here.

About tactician. Ofc tanks have less AoE than casters for example. I think trying out different things is the good part of gameplay experience. Grim Dawn has great variety, everyone will find something that suits them.

Thanks. It’s certainly very fun and effective! Added a couple videos too to illustrate the playstyle :smiley:

Made some changes and added some builds.

I want the new expansion right now!

Thanks for looking at the Deceiver:)

But the stalward hoarding is real at this moment. I tried avoiding that for public posting.

I did it only once for Belgo BM 4.5k DA for testing/feedback purpose only on the whole DA thing. Last time I’m doing it

The 16 min finish time is surprising. I have ~13:30 with horrendous lag

Thank you for adding the Forcewave tactician and the other builds man! I really appreciate the time and work you put into this thread. It’s a huge time saver being able to find the most powerful builds all in one place.
As for the DA worship, even though it’s not the most interesting or inventive approach, it made a lot of fun builds viable that would otherwise fail to complete 170. I see nothing wrong with it, as long as you balance the defense/offense to create a strong build and not just stack DA for the sake of it.

I added this thread to the official build compendium to make it more easier to look for since this isn’t stickied

Not is there are builds that rely too much on it and become a caricature of what they are supposed to be - dw flat melee cough*- If I were a dev I’d at least cringe a bit at the sight of 3x MI…or more, with stalwart of protection/readiness.

I’d also shove runebound topaz up all my builds ass if I could:)

Thanks, guys!

Now lets talk about DA. It all began when chinese guys showed up with their builds, at least for me. I’ve never seen a build with 4k+ DA before.
And you know why? Because we didn’t need this type of defensive mechanic! Actually we don’t need it even now until wave 160 in crucible.
I think devs made end-game content (150-170) and particularly bosses extremely unfair. If you start looking in grimtools at bosses’ passive and active abilities you will soon come to conclusion that it’s total BS! They shred resists, they slow, they fumble, they nuke… and they are totaly immune to all of that themselves! And let’s not forget: bosses come in packs and their abilities perfectly stack. Neat, right?

There are two types of builds than can withstand this - superdefensive shielded tanks (preferably with 4 tier3 defensive constellations) or dot casters that can kite and thus just avoid major part of incoming damage (and generally they also have some really good defensive skills like Mirror or Overguard). This butcheres build diversity.

Now, there is DA mechanic. Yeah, it is really really strong, but I’m glad that it is there. At least we now have a tool to answer the BS that in thrown at us in 150-170. More builds are viable this way, thus more fun. I am grateful to the guys that showed me the way of DA.
You can argue than it’s wrong when for 90% builds rings and medal with Stalwart/Readiness/Dranghoul is BiS, but don’t forget: it is only for crucible 150-170. Zantai said that most players don’t play end-game content, so they don’t prioritise balancing it. I mean, it could be worse, easily.

In conclusion, for end-game content we have scheme: ridiculous BS - super strong defensive answer. And I’m actually fine with it. Strong challenge that you can actually overcome is a pretty satisfying thing to me.

Here’s my opinion on all the DA thingy. I loved it when it first came out but as time passed by some things changed on how I view this tactic.

DW melee aside, high DA is not necessary at all for 170. What makes me sad is that even casters can be made really beefy by this tactic and I view casters as something that should be squishy but can compensate with defensive skills. This view on casters makes me lean towards the mirror chain tactic than to the DA tactic. The difference is that if you spam defensive skills like mark or mirror, you die when you fuck up or have horrendous lag. If you get 4k DA, you don’t really die except in really made cases.

Now I’m not saying that those builds are bad. I do realize that some people just wanna clear crucible in the fastest time possible and that’s how they have fun. And in fact I find the design of some of these builds as genius. Take Cmok’s mortar build for example. He realized that kiting makes the mortar bad cause it won’t hit anything with everyone running, so he made it a tank. And I love the explanation.

I’m fine with the DA thing, as said before it only really shines in the end part of crucible which let’s face it is at best silly in how much stuff it throws at you at once. You’ll generally never need more than 3k DA outside of crucible (maybe for superbosses I guess) and that’s easy enough to reach without putting stalwart of protection everywhere.

To be fair, all the devs did with these waves was increasing the damage to insane levels. It’s not like these new nemesis have some clever and sophisticated spells or skills that you can eventually learn to avoid or kite or whatever. They just hit for ridiculous amounts of unavoidable damage. That’s it! Add to that the fact that every one of them charges at you with the speed of light and you’re left with very few options.
I don’t see how using 2 x Stalwart rings is any worse than all these builds using Judicator’s. The only downside imo is the fact that you have to sacrifice some offensive (and fun to use) devotions, just to get those 5% DA ones.

When a build is 100% dependent on DA whoring like BM belgo there is a problem Either with the set or with crucible. He can reliable finish crucible with 4.2K + DA only at a massive expense of dmg, snail like pacing. You will lose crucible multipliers some times WITH buffs. The build, with buffs, performs the same as Jov’s phys DW WB BM without buffs in crucible.

This issue extends to most flat DW builds, with very few exceptions such as Korba who has the actual killing power before being killed.

So I don’t have a problem with DA. I have a problem when a type of build needs to forego everything it is just to survive and barely drag through crucible.

4x stalwart of protection and all that crap, all possible defensive devos. When a type of build needs to single-mindedly abuse such stats it’s a red flag.

Thanks!

Maybe I had bad mutators all the time. But probably you’re just better at playing your build than me :slight_smile:

This!

Yes!

YES!

Builds, masteries, damage types, sets - they are all far from equal in power. Why is pierce damage so weak? A mystery. Why some masteries have great defensive tools like Mirror and others don’t? For some strange reason devs just don’t want some things to be good. And they definitely don’t want dw builds to be viable in crucible at all.
DA is the way you can play around that, overcome bad design and zero support for some classes and be cool despite everything. I made my defiler that way and I’m happy about it. Some builds are beyond help though, even DA won’t save them.
Hey, maybe new expansion will improve everything! AoM definitely did.

Not really a mistery. It’s dev PTSD after what SS pierce BM did up to patch 0.4 pre AoM:D

Anyway. It was just a point/issue I tired to raise after extensive testing with Belgo and other DW flat dmg builds in crucible beyond 150.

I’ve moved on to greener pastures since:)