Rylok Mark PS conversion - is this a defect or working as designed?

Rylok Mark: 100% Lightning Damage converted to Vitality Damage to Primal Strike.

My understanding of conversion is that Skill conversions not only convert the base skill damage but also the later nodes attached to that skill (and after skill percentages from all nodes are applied).

In this case I would expect the Torrent and Storm Surge Lightning and Electrocute Damage to be converted. But it is not:

I’ve no source for that lightning damage: no Lightning damage on my gear, skills, or devotions (no points in Brute Force). GT link for the skeptical: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/b28orBLN

Also the Primal Strike animation changes from Blue to Red with Rylok Mark equipped. But the Torrent bolts stay blue (further evidence conversion is not happening)

Is this working as designed and I’m just not understanding conversion correctly? Or should this be reported as a defect?

Bonus question - does anyone know if the Rotgheist 4pc exhibits the same behavior? I’m not sure if I want to continue leveling a Vitality PS guy if this conversion only works halfway.

Thanks for the explanation.

Of course they understand it makes these mods useless, right? This must have been debated over the years so I assume it was just decided to leave them as useless? That’s a bummer.

its not useless. the lightning dam from Torrent isnot affected by skill’s mod, but still get affected from global conversion. so if you can get 100% lightning dam converted to vitality dam in global (or 100% elemental dam conversion), they become all vitality (bonus flat Lightning dam from Brute Force and Savagery also change to Vit dam with global conversion too, if you want to use Savagery as buff OA/DA/physic res for PS build)

Yes I’m definitely aware I can do global conversion. What I’m saying specifically is that makes the Rylok Mark mod worthless.

Either it does just enough conversion to break your build, or you go for global conversion making the RM conversion redundant. I have to wonder why it’s there.

You still convert the damage on Primal Strike/Storm Surge and any flat damage put through it’s weapon damage so it’s not useless unless you are getting the same conversion from elsewhere.

It’s for someone who wants to add Vitality Damage Primal Strike to his build with super low item cost. Global conversion is not easy to get

For example I added Vire’s Might to Vitality Bone Harvest build with just a medal and I love it
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRqg49V

And I cannot afford Physical or Piercing Global conversion

Ok, I definitely missed the part where it converts Storm Surge too. I read it as converting the Primary skill only, and the circular nodes are secondary skills - meaning you didn’t get the lightning damage from Torrent OR storm surge.

Now I’ve the read that ‘Secondary skill’ thread more carefully.

Well… from a usability point of view that’s good, you aren’t losing as much as I thought. But from a logical point of view my head hurts even more. There’s just some discrete list of ‘secondary skills’ that these rules apply to that are only known in an obscure forum post in 2019? And nowhere else?

I’m only surprised because this game appears so polished in so many other ways - I’d have though something like this would be cleaned up or explained in the UI by now.

But hey they’ve done a great job so I can’t complain too much :slight_smile:

Eh, I take things like this in stride by this point. Several other RPGs or games out there do not tell you every last mechanical detail like damage formulas or how skills interact in certain/specific scenarios etc. for good reason. Casual players don’t have to sift through all of the information and deal with it. On the other hand, more dedicated/hardcore players will experiment and find it out for themselves and share it with other hardcore players.