SC too easy, dying once a bit too punishing. What about a limited lives mode? Like die 3 times and it's over

Not sure what to name the mode.

But a mode between softcore and hardcore would be neat. A limited lives mode where the player has only 3, 5, 7 or 9 lives. When the player lose all their lives, the character dies permanently.

This would be a nice compromise for those of us that love the rush of HC, and feel SC is a bit too easy. But also think HC is a bit too punishing.

A limited lives mode, would give the excitement and adrenaline of playing HC, while giving you a small handful of extra chances. Could even make it so that you start with 1 life, and you gain 1 extra life for completing the end game boss of the main game and expansions.

I just think a mode like this would be superior fun to both SC and HC. But no idea if I’m a minority. Would this take a lot of effort to make? Your thoughts?

1 Like

I think simply losing a couple of levels would be better.

2 Likes

> Die at level 95
> Suddenly all your gear unequips itself
> Game becomes literally impossible to recoup what you lost
> ???

SC is no easier or harder than HC. In HC, the stakes are merely higher. I play predominantly SC, but I play it like it’s HC and all my characters are built defensively, not offensively, too. If one of them dies, I likely won’t play it again for several weeks out of disappointment for its performance.

I think that’s HC-lite enough. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it’s not about difficulty or compensation

it’s about not wanting the stain of a death in your record, after that one death the game can never feel the same anymore.

Of course it’s possible. ??????

well theoretically your stash could be empty and your only weapon lvl 94

so you kill zombies with your aura until they drop something lvl 84

There are a lot of ways, even playing in a zone with an appropriate level cap or simply buying new items.
Whatever, the player should be prepared for such circumstances. And maybe more inconvenience than simply getting lost levels back.

And another mode that gives you rewards at 1000 deaths.

6 Likes

Clearly we need to diablo-ify the game so that it drops all your equipment on death!

The true chad experience.

1 Like

You should just play a squishy character. Nothing gets my blood pressure elevated more than having to facetank with my glass cannon Pyro. Talk about an effort in futility.

I’m just glad I finally made it to level 100 so I can stop seeing that experience bar dwindle to nothing every other playthrough.

1 Like

If it’s gacha, you would get like 10 polished emerald, 2 empty box, and a participation reward.

or try soldak’s semi hardcore approach in their din’s curse/zombasite/drox games: everytime you die, your max hp is reduced PERMANENTLY.

maybe mix it up with the spirit guide npc providing option to recover your lost max hp at very EXPENSIVE price. thats enough incentive to avoid death in softcore semi hardcore playthrough imo. making the game punish softcore players’s deaths by forcing them to waste time and iron getting back to their feet and learn their lesson.

What keeps you from deleting your character after e.g. 9 deaths?
You can create your own rules to make death more punishing. How about randomly throwing away 1 item from your 14 equipment slots? That should make you want to stay alive. This rule would also make death more impactful on higher difficulties.

thats a good point about players enforcing death rules at their own will. even some hardcore players do the alt+f4 force exit trick before dying which ultimately question them why they’re doing hardcore in the 1st place.

i myself is a softcore player. i try to avoid being killed at all times in games like grim dawn, because if i died even once, that’ll ruin the fun for that playing session for the day. i even gave some of my characters the name of my favorite characters from various franchises to keep motivating me to avoid death as much as i can, instead of throwing them again and again toward very risky challenges (like the way moba/deathmatches players being indifferent to the repeated deaths of their characters)

1 Like

Let there be a call on your character so that after some time death comes and takes one of your gear pieces at random

lol make reaper npc that comes visit? I see this threads a little old o well fun necro.
1000 deaths? thats machoism (is this the right word) for you.
Being a pet run char I do tend to die but I also drop a char if im dying over & over. I cant see myself choosing a mode where I have limited deaths.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.