Shield Block Mechanic discussion

I love shield builds in this game ever since Oathkeeper. However I just wanted to give my feedback on them in FG.

2H and DW have distinct identities with their respective benefits. For shields you gain shield block, but this usually comes at a cost of less damage (and less survival from adcth).

I think this inherent cost of shields is too steep (lose damage for a mechanic that becomes weak by endgame), I’d like to see shield block values boosted to ~3k or so (with shield Block damage +% significantly lowered for balance) and a small reduction in base recovery. This would at least make it a more noticeable % chance defensive mechanic.

It is often the case that physical resistance stats from epic/legendary or the affixes overshadow the block mechanic. Would be nice for this thematic mechanic to be better (even if those phys res stats were lowered a bit).

1 Like

I have used shields quite often over my various characters and would agree with what your saying here…
I would like to see the same thing! Make block worth something instead of a useless trait that only means you do alot less damage. Your survival is determined by everything else other than block chance! It’s your resistances, your damage and your RR. At no part is block involved with survival! I’m not sure how to make it better but maybe as per above increase how much you can block… Shields with some decent values so your nnot required to use soldier and every devotion to make block actually good. And even then you have so little damage that super bosses become impossible…

I was trying both 2H ranged and 1H ranged + shield on my Pyromancer and eventually chose shields. I’m fine with my damage output, but needed better defenses and shields give me just that: block damage, phys res, defensive skill, physique bonus. They do more than just block.

Well, not all shields have phys res for a start, and these instances feel even worse.

My point was that the base benefit of shield block is hardly a benefit at endgame. Blocking ~1.5k damage (of only blockable attacks) with a 35% chance is very low value. There is too much emphasis on heavy investment or those durable affix (crazy how it is as much as 24% phys res).

Compared to DW, 2H and caster off-hand. The value of a shield is definitely the weakest.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.