Shield mechanics questions

A guy just made this thread so why should I make a thread about a “difference between AoE and something with AoE”? Anyway, what AoE isn’t a “something with AoE”? Everything is a something, no? :rofl:

This topic just keeps getting more confusing by the hour :rofl:

What I mean is:

• I understand dmg auras like Censure or Wendigo Totem are not blockable. What about Box? Is it that no ticking skills are blockable? What about Siphon Souls or Heart of Wrath?

• I understand ground based AoE skills like Sigil of Consumption or Leviathan proc or Yugol proc are not blockable. Is that right? What about BwC?

• What about channeling skills like Tether or Kaisan crystals?

Box and Siphon are debuffs IIRC.

Heart of Wrath is basically Censure/Night’s Chill, so no.

Debuffs.

Yes.

Not blockable. BWC is an interesting case because it is a projectile that spawns a ground pool, however the projectile itself doesn’t do any damage. I guess you could technically ‘block’ it which might make a <100% Recovery build have their shield go on cooldown for no practical purpose, but the damage pool that BWC creates cannot be blocked.

Yes, but dmg from multiple Boxes stack as opposed to other debuffs. So maybe it’s not a debuff? Huh? :thinking:

Heart of Wrath is a ticking skill (deals dmg per second for a duration) that’s initiated by Judgment. Just like Blood Boil and Siphon Souls. Censure and Night’s Chill from Veil of Shadows are togglable dmg auras.not casts. Anyway, so Judgement is blockable but HoW isn’t? Confusing af.

Anyway, I don’t get this debuff no debuff thing. Just about everything got a debuff. Bone Harvest got a debuff. Mortars got a debuff on the Big One. Even Forcewave got a debuff on Internal Trauma.

No, Judgment isn’t blockable.

You can block anything that would otherwise be affected by Dodge/Deflect, or Impaired Aim/Fumble. A great many things don’t care about those stats, and they tend to be innately AoE effects or debuffs that directly apply something to a player.

These are not debuffs; but to get even further away from this thread, now you’re treading into the difference between Debuffs and Debuff Effects. I’ve written at length about this subject already on reddit, so just skim through these posts:

Oh, so shields are basically a poor-ass version of dodge/deflect with limited dmg mitigation and recovery time in exchange for usually better chance?

And the ability to proc things (on-block), but yes.

Cool.

Also, after reading your Reddit post, I think I understand why multiple Boxes stack. Might it be because once you anchor them on the enemy it’s the enemy that becomes “the source of the skill”? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I’m gonna level with you - I am very surprised that Storm Box stacks with itself and intend to test that out a bit when I’m in a position to do so. Storm Box (without its tether modifier) uses the same skill template as Curse of Frailty (and it’s in the same skill archetype as Bloody Pox, albeit Pox is deeper in the family tree under the “contagion” section) which does not stack with itself when it gets damage (from item skill modifiers).

I’m not saying I necessarily doubt you because without question you are likely to have played Inquisitor more than I have, but I can’t rightly speak to why Box does or does not behave a certain way.

Sorry to stray off topic. In my experience Box acts more like Mark of Torment than CoF:

• you can’t target ground, it needs an enemy to be anchored at
  • spell dies - stops affecting everyone in radius - once the enemy dies
  • Tether looks exactly like MoT

What acts exactly as CoF is Word of Pain. Maybe that’s what you meant?

As to why it stacks, maybe it doesn’t? Don’t believe the hype! :wink: I haven’t tested it in a modded environment but it seems very much from my experience with Allagast vindicator that it does stack.

My exp as well. BTW wop is not ground targettable, unlike cof.

Sure it is. Or was? It changed?

great thread - i’m almost absolutely certain that multiple attacks can be blocked simultaneously with 100% recovery/chance as I don’t take damage from MQ with yuhu, and dude’s got projectiles 4 dayz.

@ceno - can something like valdaran’s thunderbolt be blocked?

No, doombolt clones cannot be blocked. His orb burst can be, though.

sorry to keep badgering you, but what about pounce attacks? or something like DE?

Give me an example?

Point me to an enemy with Drain Essence and I’ll let you know. (no, btw)

Does “Chance on Block %” cap on 100% like “Chance on Attack %”(WPS)?

This is an old post, but I believe you’re asking can you have over 100% chance to block and the answer is no. Your chance to block and recovery max out at 100%, that’s when you block 100% of the time. However, let me be the first to say you do not block everything. As I think you’re working on a shield based character. I and probably many others when looking for grim dawn shield builds end up at this post, it’s like the #1 hit for it I’ll add my experience here with others about shield builds.

My character is a Warlord, I play Ultimate, level 100, campaigns done, has 100% shield block and Recovery 100% of the time. The shield blocks 6944 damage per block, my armor is 4155 with 100% absorption, 7% physical resistance (to 13% with devotion triggered), DA is 2500 (yes is low but with a retaliation build, want DA so you get hit but not crit), around 200 flat damage absorption, with 876 natural hp/regen that in battle boosts to around 1500). Here’s the build Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator be aware you need a 9% shield block shield (which I have) which brings it to 100% grimtools is using a 7%. Also, there is no 10% shield block Perdition shield unlike grimtools says.

An armor/shield build with focus on 100% shield recovery/chance is a very strong build, but there are a lot of things that armor/shield doesn’t seem to do anything against. 1.) Anything that seems to come from the sky like lightning, meteors, snowflakes go right to my hp bar. 2.) Ground effects, standing/walking in acid, lava, aether. 3.) Whirlwinds, such as the sand, fire, aether spinning tornados/whirlwinds that move around and can’t be killed. I’m still learning what other things hurt me.

If I could rate the character, I would say 3 out of 4. Bosses like The Messenger, Kymon, you’ll hardly notice any damage face tanking them, occasionally taking no damage it depends if any meteors or lava from the floor hits you. Nemesis, Koorvaak are different, I put Menhir’s will to max and tried to face tank Koorvaak with no retreating/kiting and when I was near killing him he did end up killing me first. So, a crazy armor with 100% shield/recovery 100% of the time can’t face tank Nemesis/Koorvaak. But, it’s a lot better than most, but I have seen some that are better. This the 2nd version of this char, I’m working on a 3rd. My goal IS to face tank Koorvaak and I think this char can… that’s not using pots except the basic healing and mana when necessary. I’m pretty sure if I used pots prior to Koorvaak I’d be able to facetank but pots just aren’t my thing I fight him without any potions up.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer, that is very useful info there. But my question was whether “Chance on Block %” behaves like “Chance on Attack %”.
Example: Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator . I have two rings, belt, medal, weapon and two devotions that proc on Block. Can they all proc at the same time or is it like WPS, where you take all your “Chance on block %” (160% for something to proc on char above) and round them down to 100% and only one at the time can proc?