Some opinions on Chaos based build

I have this build in mind, currently have the character started actually and I want to know what you guys think. I’m basing it around Chaos damage with Fire being secondary (mostly because I don’t have a choice).

It’s using Pyromancer and a 2H ranged weapon.

Here is the build http://grimcalc.com/build/XIAF25

I’m assuming I will find +1-2 skill gear so that most of the skills are maxed. I pretty much chose any skill that did Chaos except Doom Bolt for obvious reasons. It’s kind of spread thin because of needing 50 points in each class. Healing isn’t also on top but I dont mind that.

Devotion wise I tried to get Chaos related devotions. With some trash selections to boost up certain colors. I got Behemoth obviously cause my build lacks healing, I got Kraken cause 2H and the other stuff was based on doing the most Chaos damage I can feasibly.

So what do you guys think? I want to stick to Chaos damage, even if the build is crap compared to others. I am gonna try it lol.

Side note, I’ve looked at the Brimstone or whatever build and I already have a fire based Demo and wanted to steer away from that as much as possible.

I want to stick to Chaos damage, even if the build is crap compared to others.

If you already know that chaos is bad choice, i will not give my usual advice (stay away from it because bla bla bla). At least here you have some ways to counter the massive enemy resistances, but have you ACTUALLY tried the mines? They’re tricky to use.

Get a look to the Harbinger set. Should be your ideal end game goal, but i cannot swear on this.

Also drop the first and the central node of Cocktail to 1/0, as reduced armor mean nothing, the damage insignificant and the reduced offense can be countered by having a naturally high DA. Take the modifier for the reduced physical damage, is good against most hard-hitting enemy.

Raise Vindicative flame, for the Total Speed, and Flame Touched for the OA.

Get at least 1/1 Flasbang + Searing Light.

If you end up with fire as a significant portion of your dps, CoF + Vulnerability should be worth some points.

No, this character is only level 14 at the moment and my other Demo is 29. If they don’t work out I will be putting the points into CoF instead.

Also drop the first and the central node of Cocktail to 1/0, as reduced armor mean nothing, the damage insignificant and the reduced offense can be countered by having a naturally high DA. Take the modifier for the reduced physical damage, is good against most hard-hitting enemy.

Even with Chaos damage boosters the damage won’t be worth it? I also have the first node so high more so because of the range. I want it to hit as many enemies as possible on the first go around. That’s literally the only reason I even put it above 1 point. The reason I didn’t take the modifier is because I would be throwing the cocktails as often as I can and they would be my secondary attack. I will try it out before and see, if anything I will just reduce the 2nd node down to 1-2 points and throw those somewhere else.

Raise Vindicative flame, for the Total Speed, and Flame Touched for the OA.

I plan on putting points into Vin, I didn’t think about the total speed at the time. I was trying to avoid Flame Touched as that will bring me to close to my other Demo build, is the OA that you get from it really that beneficial? Especially if I have 1,500+ already near the end? How much percentage does it give to your crit per point?

Get at least 1/1 Flasbang + Searing Light.

I see people saying this. I’m guessing it’s to reduce the amount of enemies attacking you. Aren’t bosses resistant to that though? I can understand this skill if the amount of damage I’m doing doesn’t make using this skill kind of worthless. If trash mobs are dying fast enough for me, I don’t see a big point.

If you end up with fire as a significant portion of your dps, CoF + Vulnerability should be worth some points.

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to avoid. I decided on wanting to make a Chaos based build because of all the equips I keep getting with Chaos boosting damage. I knew Occultist was going to be one of the classes and looking around decided on Demo because that’s the only other class with a fair amount of Chaos damage skills. I already have a gun toting Demo though so I didn’t want to match him and get bored.

That’s the only reason I’m sticking to Chaos for this build. I want to have fun and not get burned out. I don’t have a high level Demo though so I figured I could get some decent advice on what skills would best supplement Chaos as much as possible.

1. Thermite Mines can be useful, but some also find them tricky to use, as they are not a direct attact like your average skill.

2. Base damage is soo low (both fire and chaos) it seem a joke you actually want to use this skill as a secondary attack:p (unless you find a stationary target and stack as many Coctails as you can below him, but in this case you need casting speed, energy and energy regen, and thus another build) Also you do not need to spam Coctail on every fight, and the radius increase by 0,3m x skill point, and because you probably end with at least +3 to demo, it is not worth to spend 9 points for a +2,5 m radius imo.

3. I cannot quantify it as i do not know your “future” char, but you will get a boost on your real dps with Flame Touched. And if for “near the end” you mean ultimate, 1500 OA is totally inadequate.

4. Just take this skill. Confuse/slow are a useful bonus, but the chance to fumble and the reduced DA are the real selling points (and those work on bosses too). Also this way you can link Eldritch Fire to Flashbang, and falcon swoop to fire strike (if you are still going 2h)

+1 to what ETK said pretty much

Fwiw while thermite mines aren’t the smoothest and easiest to use skill they are just fine once you get used to them.

Also +1 that 1500 OA is awful in ultimate. You are going tobe crying at how often you miss and how you’re 2% to crit against some shitty zombie

1. Okay I will just have to wait and use them and see how it goes.

2. That makes sense, I didn’t think all the damage stacked with +600 or more boost to Chaos would still make the skill crappy, especially with the fire and burning damage, even more so if I go with Flame Touched…but we will have to see. I need to try it out cause I"m stubborn that way but I will keep your idea in mind if it doesn’t work out for me, for sure.

3. Yeah I’m probably going to end up doing something with it in the end. And I was just throwing out a number. My bleed build Conjurer only has 1,700 OA in Ultimate but I don’t have any issues. Still I doubt I will end up throwing the damage away, I will still have more Chaos damage than Fire if I gear right so and added damage won’t hurt for sure.

4. Okay 2 points isn’t so bad, I will work it in.

Thanks for the insight though, I really didn’t know about some of the skills or why it’s better to do one thing over the other.

Is 1700 much better? Because like I told ETK my OA on my Conjurer is only 1770 and I rarely miss anyone, but my main damage skills are Devouring and Grasping so maybe they’re not affected by OA. Cause those never miss and mobs melt.

For trash mobs, 1800 OA is enough, but for bosses, you better have 2k+, or you will miss a lot.

^ this is pretty accurate, having 1600-1700 REALLY hurts you

Even on Devouring and Grasping? Because it doesn’t seem like I miss on bosses either. Maybe though. I don’t know what adjustments I could even make to my Conjurer build to get more OA, my gear is all pretty specific. Either tied to resists or my build itself.

Even on Devouring and Grasping? Because it doesn’t seem like I miss on bosses either. Maybe though. I don’t know what adjustments I could even make to my Conjurer build to get more OA, my gear is all pretty specific. Either tied to resists or my build itself.

In my experience OA affect anything that deal damage, even DoT’s ticks.

Without knowing your skill, devotion and gear setup you’re asking us too much, as I at least do not have any supernatural ability. Still, going over 2000 is pretty much super-easy with any build…

Well cause you asked nicely…

http://grimcalc.com/build/B5f0S9

I’m level 82 by the way.

That’s the build, including buffed skills due to equipment. I can tell you I can probably switch up a couple Devotions to give me more OA for sure, but I would lose health regen.

Equipment…

Weapon ----Stormreaver
Chest Piece ------Dread Armor of Azgragor
Leggins------Arcane Harmony Leggings
Helm------Glory of Silver Knight
Ring 1------Legion War Seal
Ring 2-----Diamond Signet of Readiness (my pride and joy)
Amulet -----Resistant Topaz Pendant of Rifthound
Shoulders------Decorated Pauldrons
Gloves-----Grasp of Unchained Might
Boots-----Sheltering Imperial Treads
Belt-----Wildblood Girdle
Medal------Impervious Imperial Star
Relic------Rampage

Yeah some of my gear is level 50, I haven’t found anything that beats it enough to replace yet. Either not enough physique or not enough damage boost or lowers a specific resist that I don’t want to lower. Also my gloves and 1 of my rings have energy boosting components cause the build I’m using sucks energy away.

I’m working on finding better gear, so I guess I shouldn’t have said specific, but I have yet to find anything that beats it where I need it to be beat.

But I also just beat Cronley in Ultimate so I have yet to farm Shrine for mats for Tyrant’s Hold blacksmith so I should be upgrading things in the future. So I will probably have more OA by then.

But I’m glad I know now how important OA is. If you have any tips man feel free, like I said gear is kind of hard but I’m working on it.

I just can’t believe I haven’t found better Shoulders than Decorated.

60 physique and 444 health and 32% ele resist is not easy to beat apparently lol, I don’t even have any damage boosts on those things really it’s just all defense. Same with my Helm.

Oh and in case you were wondering why I have Raven, I could have put the points other places to increase things further but I like to spice things up and I’m enjoying it so lol. Plus Primal Bond helps with pets and I like the heal it gives me 5% +140 of 9,967 health is a nice healing skill especially with no recharge, don’t always have to use Totem because of it.

Oh and one final thing, before you ask me why the hell I’m using Rampage still…I have yet to get that stupid Mistborn Talisman. So that limits my options quite a bit.

I’m working a Chaos (with Fire/Burn) Pyro up at the moment. Currently 55 heading to A3 Epic and killing everything pretty well.

The mines are awesome (I have both skills maxed) for doorways and other areas you can pack them in, but harder for single targets in open space, I like the tactical bit of getting them ‘right.’ My build is melee based, lots of fun and my gear is nowhere near optimal.

Can’t remember all the devotion I have, but see here:

http://grimcalc.com/build/gZJ9nu

That’s good to know, mine will be ranged so I will definitely have the Fire Strike line.

As these guys mentioned though you should get Vindicitive because of the all around speed boost it gives.

I like your assortment of self-found crappy gear. This is not hirony, what i mean is that you are enjoying this game at your own pace, and there’s not better way to do it. Have fun while it last.

However, if you will ever want to optimize this char, I can said that 95% of your items can be replaced with better gear (and by better i mean A LOT BETTER). If you want to stick to bleeding, try to get a bloodsong/brutallax, and a vileblood mantle. Those are crucial for the late game areas.

Also you can use Graceful Dusk. It is an online database that ease the planning of an equipment setup (ie you need an item with some specific resistances, you can search for it)

Oh and in case you were wondering why I have Raven, I could have put the points other places to increase things further but I like to spice things up and I’m enjoying it so lol. Plus Primal Bond helps with pets and I like the heal it gives me 5% +140 of 9,967 health is a nice healing skill especially with no recharge, don’t always have to use Totem because of it.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and one final thing, before you ask me why the hell I’m using Rampage still…I have yet to get that stupid Mistborn Talisman. So that limits my options quite a bit.

Now i just want to ask you why the hell you want to use Mistborn…

Why BWC? Sigil is superior imo, as it provides same or more damage (especially in a chaos build) for less skillspoints and also provides healing.

Also, you absolutely must max most if not all the skills which provide raw +chaos damage. So at least Brimstone, Possession, Solael, and if you’re feeling like it Hellfire. Why? Because raw damage is extremely powerful with all the +%Chaos modifiers. I used to run a melee chaos build, activitating Solael raised my DPS by 3000. The 30 flat chaos and +100% chaos from Hellfire provided +1400 DPS. It stacks like crazy.

Brimstone will be all you need to spread all that damage. Drop Explosive Strike.

Thank you, I play that way in all my ARPG’s, when you get a great item it really does make it exciting.

However, if you will ever want to optimize this char, I can said that 95% of your items can be replaced with better gear (and by better i mean A LOT BETTER). If you want to stick to bleeding, try to get a bloodsong/brutallax, and a vileblood mantle. Those are crucial for the late game areas.

Yeah I know I can upgrade nearly every item I have. Stormreaver is great because of the +2 Shaman skill, but I would prefer a bleeding weapon if I can get it and to possibly finish Wildblood set.

Also you can use Graceful Dusk. It is an online database that ease the planning of an equipment setup (ie you need an item with some specific resistances, you can search for it)

I’ve known about that site for a while…I just don’t want to spoil any loot surprises. Silly I know but it’s part of the fun factor when I get an item I’ve never seen before.

Now i just want to ask you why the hell you want to use Mistborn…

I don’t, but to get anything better I need Mistborn to craft it. That’s the crappy part. I have like 6 Mythic relics and I can’t make any of the ones I want to use because they require Terror, which requires a damn Mistborn which doesn’t want to drop!

Also I traded Raven in for Wind Devils, I’m liking the mixture of lightning and bleeding going on at the same time, Stormreaver gives you a nice Electrocute bonus so it makes the Wind Devil’s nice.

One last thing too, I was getting through Undercity and guess who I ran into? Yep Mooowhateverfasa his name is, It took me almost an hour to kill him because even though I have 90% cold resist, that may as well not have mattered, not to mention his crappy frost shards that freeze.

Oh and now I know why OA is important hahaha.

BWC is more of a preference thing. I will only opt for Sigil if I can’t stay alive. So maybe in the later stages of the game. I will try out both no matter what.

They are maxed, I was basing the points off of having gear for the build. I just didn’t add those in. But the 3 you listed will all be max.

I’ve seen people say take explosive, I figured I would just put a point here and there into it. At least 1 point because I have gear that does +1 already. But I will take some points out of that and place them in Vin.