Part two of my controller friendly build series: Rah’zin’s/Harbinger Witchblade
7/12/2020: Major Edit: updated for SR80 clear, plus changes to guide format.
updated grimtools link. Get one stun and two physical resist crafting bonuses, or 3 physical resist and put a runebound topaz into combustion band. [I’m actually running 3 armor, but that’s because my luck is awful]
Playstyle: cast Curse of Frailty, cast doom bolt, shoot until you’re in danger, back up and repeat.
After getting frustrated with purifier builds, I started looking for a ranged build that could kite freely - neither relying on inquisitor seal for defense (and offense!), nor thermite/hellfire mines. Not finding one, but seeing the synergy between Rah’zin’s, The Harbinger, and Witchblade, I made this build. Later I found out that there was a deceiver version of this build, but although it looks similar, it actually plays very different: when doing hard content (such as high SR), the deceiver is only strong when it’s inside inquisitor seal. Enemies which are fast and strong will pose a tremendous threat, whereas the Witchblade version can safely kite away, using its health regen and the lifesteal on doom bolts to stay alive in the process. This allows the Witchblade to defeat extremely tough (IE unlucky) enemy combinations, which would simply steamroll a deceiver. And while the witchblade, as shown, only has 71% WPS, it certainly doesn’t ever lack for damage, thanks in part to Rah’zin’s buffs for Zolhan’s Technique.
With good mutators, and with my typical stinginess on consumables, it wasn’t until SR79 (when I got a little careless) that I started to run into trouble and out of time. I never doubted my ability to clear SR80 and unlock the waystone, although it certainly wasn’t pretty. SR85 wouldn’t surprise me, and I may do it someday.
As for Mad Queen, this wasn’t anything special; it was just the first clear with neutral mutators. <5s should be possible.
I don’t do crucible, but I can’t imagine this having trouble with it. This build frequently does 1,000,000 damage in a single frame, thanks to doom bolt.
Video proof of clear
This is, admittedly, only the final part where it went smoothly. Serenity was equipped by accident.
Old Video proof of clearTime wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't die a bunch while testing things out in SR 70-74
Offense: if you’re using a controller, make sure doom bolt goes where you want it to go.
Defense: a good doom bolt gives a ton of healing, so don’t underestimate that. Unlike inquisitor ranged builds, you don’t need to stand in inquisitor seal for your defense. That’s what makes this so strong. For survival, the best thing to do is almost always to keep moving and trust your health regen, using doom bolt on cooldown, but only shooting when absolutely safe.
- Rah’Zin’s: core
- Harbinger: core
Stuff I’m pretty sure is best in slot:
- Voidheart: Chaos RR, +2 to posession, bleed resist, and up to 30% fire converted to chaos (which affects combustion band and seal of the burning void)
- Combustion Band: Chaos RR, and much needed attack speed, defensive ability, and elemental resist, and the health and casting speed aren’t bad either.
- Black Star of Deceit: my first though was Pyroclasm Mark, but the black star does more single target damage, and gives 6% lifesteal, which is a big deal. Pyroclasm Mark should help with clearing swarms though. It’s a tough choice.
- Solael’s Decimation: was torn between this, eldritch pact, and serenity. Ultimately the OA was too good to pass up, even with the terrible rolls my Solael’s decimation has. I do carry a serenity around in case I run into trouble. It helps tremendously when you need overcapped resists against monsters with strong RR, and can sometimes make a significant difference. You could actually run it all the time, but this build would be less fun that way. Don’t underestimate the passive ability of Solael’s Decimation though. It helps clear weak trash, which otherwise would take several auto attacks to kill, and is great for applying the rings’ abilities.
- Demonbone Legplates: has a lot of great stats, and the chaos nova should help clear swarms, which is where this build struggles.
- Footpads of the Grey Magi: has a bunch of good stats, but anything with trap resist would work. Windshear greaves are tempting for the attack speed buff. That said, trap resist is essential, since this build needs to keep moving to survive.
- Rune of Murmur’s Kiss: gives damage reduction and OA reduction, so it’s great when your back is (literally) against a wall, espcially during the downtime on War Cry’s debuff.
I had a lot of flexibility here. The big decision was seal of annihilation or seal of ancestry. I tried ancestry, but annihilation proved stronger. Chains of Oleron are for offensive ability, since you want as many doom bolt crits as possible. The enchanted earth is for this kiting focused health regen spec.
There is a ton of room for flexibility in these devotions, but these choices work.
Ghoul: pretty much necessary for defense
Solael’s witchblade: obvious chaos RR
Kraken: necessary for attack speed.
Everything else is optional, but I highly recommend abomination since it gives about a 20% damage boost, and increases health regen.
more questionable choices:
Hydra: lifesteal, damage, and slow resist. You could probably get by without this to be honest.
lizard and behemoth: I went for health regen to keep me alive while kiting/running for my life, so these are good choices. One could easily go for damage instead through dying god, or by adding attack speed with a 3 points in Jackal and Wendigo. It will hamper your survivability at high SR, but it would be a little faster in easier content.
I leveled this a while ago, so I don’t remember too many details on how it went.
For devotions, get solael’s witchblade ASAP, and then get Abomination ASAP so you can get to work on leveling it, since it requires so much xp to max.
For skills, you can do pretty well with cadence + zolhan’s + markovian’s, putting points into defenses as necessary
For items, the level 75 harbinger set should be pretty good, but anything with chaos damage will work. Aside from the hydra and kraken devotions, there’s nothing that necessitates using a 2h ranged weapon until you have the harbinger set. If you want to use melee there are a ton of good options, though Servitor’s Corruptor strikes me as particularly strong. If you want a shield, Obsidian Defender stands out. For ranged, Curse of Burrwitch looks like the best 2h option, while Witchstalker and Exterminus look like the best 1h options, with Bloodsworn Repeater an alternative once you have doom bolt.
Final note: If you get a good crucible or SR clear, let me know and I can update the build. Suggestions are welcome.