Sorcerer help? :) 1.1.8, ultimate, aom & fg

Hi all, if this is the wrong sub for this, please let me know and I can repost in the right place, or move it for me.

Ok, I have not played GD for quite a while so my knowledge is rusty. I haven’t played through any of the FG content yet. I was digging through my existing characters and found this one, I remember enjoying it quite a lot: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkm4w6V

Trouble is, I don’t remember exactly what I was doing or why, so I’m interested in some advice on how I might bring it up to speed with all the new changes and content. I haven’t started FG content yet, I just started AOM content in ultimate with it last night.

I’m not sure why I put Phoenix Fire on Conflagration for example (the damage doesn’t seem very impressive, would I be better off with a survivability/regen devotion?)… and if I have Conflagration as a spam skill, should I drop some points from Callidor’s, pick up Agrivix? Or should I drop that altogether and get flash freeze? I should grab Nullify I assume…

It seems like I have mostly solid resists with a fire focused build so I imagine I should aim for tweaking my setup in that direction… but since I haven’t checked out FG content yet I don’t know how well that will work.

I guess just looking for some ideas based on what ai already have. All advice appreciated, thanks!!

It’s hard to make recommendations for a level 83 character because you’re going to find a lot of gear between now and 100, and you won’t start discovering top-tier stuff for another 11 levels. One thing I’d say is just watch your conversions - there was a lot more damage type conversion support gear added with the latest expansion. It looks like you’re shooting for full fire, but you also took Devastation which is equal parts fire and aether, and you’re not converting any of that aether damage, which is a bit of a shame for an “ultimate” skill. Hunt for a Chains of Ordas belt in Port Valbury if you want to convert that damage to fire.

Also, take a look at sorcerer/caster builds of late to understand the meta game a bit more as far as components go. But again, until you’re at level 100 (or at least 94) the correct answer for components and augments is “whatever keeps me alive and powerful.”

Skillwise, you’ve got a ton of active damage skills which tends to spread out your skill points so they’re all middling and none of them are particularly powerful, which you’ll start to feel as you near the end of the game. I’d suggest whittling one or two of them out of your build, and I’d suggest one of those whittled out be Conflagration, because it’s not very spectacular in comparison to stuff in the Arcanist and Demo skill trees, or even in comparison to skills on higher level relics (which of course take some time and fortune to farm material).

1 Like

Ok thanks! Yeah, what you’ve said here is pretty much what I expected to hear.

Looking around at meta builds though (especially Nery’s stuff) it almost looks like fire is kind of “out” right now - or if fire is used, so many offensive devo’s are used that I need 4-5 offensive skills.

I’m tinkering with dropping Devastation, taking 4 offensive skills from Demo, and keeping Conflag for now. I’m guessing - as you said - since I’m still not 94+, a lot of gear and a lot of shifts in the character’s paradigm are coming. So for now I’ll wing it until I have some clearer options. The extra skill points plus class bonuses from gear will be really beneficial. It’s almost difficult to try to pare down a meta build into something I have gear/points for. Wow a lot has changed since I last played (I’m not complaining, that’s really cool… I just have a lot of relearning to do!!)

Thanks!

1 Like