Started Dota2 - opposite of GD

I started dota2, and while it may seem similar in that you have items, skills, and use mouse&keyboard, they are opposites in many ways.

In GD, you build up a character which generally goes right to the enemies and fights them, then moves on to the next battle.

In Dota2, if you do that, you get killed. You can’t take on multiple heroes alone except if you have a huge advantage (like they are all almost dead or stunned).

The style is very different: attack when you see an opening, retreat when it gets tough. Caution and don’t over extend yourself, probably the hardest difference to deal with after playing GD. I am used to having superiority over my enemies in GD and tank them.

It’s pvp of course, but I prefer to play against bots, because the community can be pretty toxic. That’s another difference, the GD community is very friendly while the dota is not (at least in a game, most seem nice when I ask questions in their forum).

Another difference is that it is a team game rather than solo. You need to coordinate your attacks and not try to go it alone. Some heroes compliment each other, like io + gyro copter.

I guess the last difference I can think about is that GD is more about preparing and planning a character, then watching it play out. Dota is more about how well you execute your skills.

Just my opinions, I’m sure others have different perspectives.

I started dota2

Worst mistake ever. Go back till its too late. :wink:

Nothing wrong with playing DotA from time to time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Legend 1 support, but mostly playing with a few Divine+ friends :cool:

never played dota but I heard it has a paladin hero? . If yes then maybe I will check it one day;)

Hahahahah oh my, you made my day.

There’s a paladin hero but he isn’t called Paladin, still interested? :smiley:

lol you cant fool me, isnt Arthas from dota 1 a paladin if i may recall correctly so DoTa 2 should have a paladin unless its called a knight or crusader?

anyways Multiplayer games are not my forte but if it has specific named paladin I am in no matter what. Gotta do some research now for academic purposes.

Thanks for the thread;)

There was a paladin hero in wc3 and Arthas started as paladin. But Dota was a fan made custom map and the hero that used arthas paladin model was called Omniknight instead.

Personally, the biggest difference would be the community. Dota 2 is very toxic. GD community is way better.

Gameplay-wise, they’re completely different so it’d be hard to compare. I played Dota 2 for thousands of hours combined, while in GD I’ve only played 100+.

So far, GD is a lot more addictive. Guess I’m a lot more of an ARPG and RTS guy than MOBA.

My advice, as a veteran (and retired) Dota & Dota2 player (played since 2008), is to play in public games (not ranked games).

I play public games to just enjoy character I want, and try to play the best I can with whatever random players i met. Sure there will be some players who are toxic, incompetent, or just trolling, but I’ve managed to adapt with many such characters.
The important thing is to focus on adjusting your hero with the situation at hand, and staying cool with your teammates. At the end of any match, its either: I’m satisfied if its gg; Im indifferent if the match is too predictable and easy to win; I forget about the match if there is too many toxic words thrown around.

In most games, your teammates are your deadliest enemies. Sometimes for slightest mistake or for unknown reason, someone will blame/badmouth someone repeatedly, then morale is reduced, the team’s performance suffers, the game becomes awful, and you wonder why you bothered playing that match.

The problem above are much more serious when you play ranked reason (just for some useless and endless pursue for ranking numbers, boasting right, and greatly limits fun possibilities because you have to win with the most op hero you can use imo).
Unless you have close friends to become permanent team to play with, don’t bother playing ranked games.
Solo ranked games are unbalanced. Everybody have their own hero and gameplay preferences. Going solo means you and your team doesn’t know the capabilities of each other members. In a team oriented games, that means blindly going through a labyrinth while forming plans on the fly and hoping for the best. Preplanning your strategy for solo ranked games is just not possible.

If you wish to play Dota2 for a long time, here’s the basic things you need to master to become a good Dota player:

1. map layout
  2. the pacing of the game
  3. the general role of each hero type (tank, dps, support, etc)
  4. hero abilities (there are a lot of them. just try to play a lot with around 5-10 heroes to get the general feelings of them, then you can try other heroes and understand their powers in shorter time)
  5. items. and their prices.
  6. last hitting technique
  7. farming method in the lane/jungle
  8. ganking method
  9. comboing skills with teammates
  10. prioritizing enemy targets and skills/items to use in teamfight
  11. awareness of enemy team locations (and your teammates too).
  12. The most important of all. communication with your teammates.

And don’t forget, however bad the situation is, don’t trash talk and stay cool. The time you use to trash talk is the time lost for planning your next move or watching enemy movement.

Personally, with all the hectic things going around when you play dota/lol/other moba, its small wonder i’ve grown tired of them and prefers peaceful grinding in GD/torchlight2/other arpgs or any single player games with good story (Reading stories becomes much more enjoyable after those nerve wrecking experiences).

Dota is the best game ever but it depends on how u play it.
If u have nice friends that play together, (Must be 5, 4 is already dangerous cause one random guy can ruin your game in so many ways) you go for it, if you don’t, you never play this toxic shit.

I play solo, but well, I didn’t knew about it and now I’m addicted. My life is miserable.
9k hours since 2013.

Eventually, I hear that on any pvp game forums, but I think the deadliest enemy to healthy pvp game are public stats. Breeding grounds for toxicity.
People are in hurry to pull that stat card, and point fingers at others if they are having bad game, but rarely evaluate their own mistakes.

Yeah, admitting your mistake or pointing other’s mistake reasonably while remain composed in the middle of the match is a very difficult thing to do. The public stats is there to help players gauge the capabilities of others and themselves.

Its useful but not always accurate. For example, i’ve played around 10 public match with Undying (a melee tanker/healer/pusher) in my total playing time, but all of that match is a win. And it has much more to do with my random teammates’ great coordination and enemy mishaps rather than my average gameplay as support type undying.

Public stats can’t detect the performance of teammates and enemy (this is significant). So we should just treat it like a trophy room.