Steam cloud any good?

Primary most up-to-date save location is either local or cloud, not both, that’s what I’m saying.
Unless there’s a way to automatically back-up from Steam Cloud not manually, which would be perfect I guess.

Also I’d like to ask you a question. How old is your local back-up of your GD Cloud Save? :smile:

I updated it yesterday, its for grimtools usually. But point taken, you can easily forget to back up and loose stuff that way. I play on another machine sometimes. I could like backup the save to google drive or something and run it from there from the other location i guess. As i said I personally did not have any problems and it is not that I haven’t played it or anything. And I guess to play it safe you could just as well have it stored on your pc. Maybe if you make some kind of auto upload or sync with some cloud service. That would be pretty neat.

Well if you play in on some other machine that I guess it’s a bit of different story and synchro could be pain in the ass.
Unless you set up synchronization of your machines on your own some way.

but to be fair, when going through some problems on these threads which i honestly haven’t spent much time on to give a good advice. But to me it seems that switching is one of the main causes of the problems. I mean realistically if you don’t change anything does your cloud save just vanish? has that happened? I mean not that it is smart to blindly trust a service, better be safe then sorry in the end that is something we can agree on i am sure.

I guess I’m that person.

As far as I saw in the forum, the people who had problems with cloud save are the ones using GDstash,/GI and maybe other tools. Those people ignored the warnings of programmers/people who had bad experience with cloudsave>these app interactions and kept cloudsave enabled. Even if some steam/GD update bug happens to disable cloudsave without player knowledge, it’s not actually a threat since all players have to do is to check if it’s enabled or disabled before start panic.(most of these data lost instances are caused by human-misate)

I find cloudsave reliable in my 2,4k hours experience. I don’t use any external tools/add-ons for GD and even though more experience players suggested that way I never saw cloudsave disabled without my knowledge after an update(I was checking).

Unless you have too many games in your account and cloudsave drive has not much space left or you’re going to use different programmes with Grim Dawn, you can rely on cloudsave.

Even when lights gone(which happens a lot in my country) thus internet gone, I never lost data. My computer crashes a lot, I never lost data. Ofc it’s better to be safe than regret, keep your data copy restored somewhere and update it once a week or so. You can do the same with local saves aswell, whatever suits you.

I think people have bad memory of cloudsave because of TQ had/have problems with it. And maybe a few years ago when GD is new, it was unreliable and had issues. Steam/devs probably improved the synch and removed the errors and now it’s safe enough.

I hope so because regardless of what we recommend here people gonna mostly use Steam Cloud anyway as it’s the default option if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

cool apparently you can create a sync drive on your machine with google drive. I did not know that. Well that would be a possible alternative for me.

https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308834?hl=en#:~:text=Sync%20all%20downloaded%20files%20to%20Drive%20on%20Windows&text=Open%20Chrome.&text=Settings.,Drive%20folder%20and%20click%20Select.

Regarding different machines isn’t it super easy to get your current game to a new pc. All you have to is back it up on your old pc and then log in to steam on your new one, restore the game you want and bingo you have it.

when playing with a local save and not cloud enabled you would have to copy your save to the other system. With steam cloud you can do as you say just install and go. Oh and I didn’t tel you or anyone to switch from local to cloud or even touch that setting!

No worries man you do you and I’ll do me. I already switched to local anyways and I see no need to switch again. I wonder if it’s possible to, when moving to another device, switch to Steam cloud again, then transfer, then switch back.

Yup. Just keep my guide above handy. It’s easy as pie my friend.

1 Like

Will do.

Also, was playing the other day and hit credits by mistake so I decided to watch them. Seen you in there, I had no idea you tested for them. Way to go man!

1 Like

The title “Praetorian” identifies anyone who’s a playtester for the game. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @medea_fleecestealer!

You can also see who all playtesters are via the forum interface. From the main forum feed click on Crate Tracker:

Which brings you here…

Just select Playtester from the dropdown. You can also view all Crate Employees registered on the forum and other fun stuff.

1 Like

:sunglasses: cool stuff.