Steam developers speak:

They have removed some games from steam,

And some asset flip games (copy cat from the same company)

So they are doing something, but the problem is, there are still a lot of abandoned games on steam that should be removed.

so they do remove games, but I understand what your saying, but when they allow a great deal of junk on the platform, it really undermines the service.

so who decides what is ‘fit for sale’ and based on what criteria ?

Are most EA games ok ? Are most small indie games ?

I agree that if I were to look at the daily releases to determine what I am interested in I would have to wade through a sea of crap to find the few pearls and that this is a problem for the few good indie games as it affects their visibility, but I am not sure what a better solution is.

They had Greenlight, why was that abandoned ? I assume because it was too slow a funnel for the number of games that wanted to get onto Steam, so damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I hope this will be self regulating, ie if the flood of games drops the visibility of the individual small games to the point where sales are too low to allow for the development of such games, their number goes down.
Add to that the ability to return games and review scores and you should be in a position to determine whether that small indie game is a gem or not without too much risk for you (some time lost, but not money).

Of course this does not help with EA games, but then wait for those to get finished or extrapolate from the current state and progress of the last 6 months (reviews) and either accept the risk and keep it or return it.

But that is the problem, ever since Greenlight got scrapped, the replacement service, (which I think if a dev spends some money, then the game gets onto steam)

But ever since then, there been a tonne of asset flip games, (steam has remocvd a lot) but the fact they got onto steam in the first place, just shows that the service doesn’t work.

Then for early access titles, there are quite a few abandoned titles on steam, yet they are still been sold. For example a studio named Hyper Hippo Games, this studio has put a few clicker games onto steam, and leave them for no real reason. Another example Guild Quest, they did some patches, then one large patch, they got a lot of flak for it, as it broke stuff, and since then, nothing. And their other games are similar state. Sure, these are free to play. But my point stands. these are abandoned games. So they should be removed.

And steam is full of games like this, and they can be a money trap.

So this is the biggest issue, at least the greenlight system if slow, was a decent filter, not perfect, but decent. the replacement just doesn’t work, and has been abused left, right and centre.

So there needs to be better quality control, yet there isn’t.

and with Greenlight devs could wait for months before their game even made it onto Steam - if they made it there at all and were added to Greenlight in some obscure decision.

If the two choices are have good games but wait for months or also have bad games / asset flips the buyer can return slip through, I still lean towards the latter. Reviews should help sort that out, which is basically how Greenlight decided what to add and what not to anyway.

I agree that neither is ideal, I just am not sure we can get to that ideal place… as I said, damned if you do (have a process like Greenlight), damned if you don’t.
What changes is the type of complaint you get, not that you get them.

Same here, it’s a useful extra indication :slight_smile:

But as has been said, what line do you draw at quality / what’s going to be popular. Not to mention how do you define “quality” when the base idea of a game is to be enjoyable for someone to play, there’s no way you can say that a game will not be enjoyed by someone, somewhere regardless of how low “quality” it might be considered.

Fully agree, I don’t think there is an ideal answer, beyond trying to keep the rip off asset flips off the store

Firstly, like mentioned, all the asset flip games steam has removed many, but I’m sure there are more on steam. by that, releasing the exact same type of game, just change some minor details.

Also, getting rid of abandoned games, already gave one example, but plenty more are left for dead and money traps.

quality control is about trying to keep games that work, games that are still actively developed (old games don’t count) but recent EA games, should, if a game that is in EA, and isn’t finished or complete, then it should be removed. And there are quite a few that fit that list.

If those things happened, it would make a big difference, right now, certainly regarding the EA titles, how many of them are complete? especailly those that have been kickstarted? The problem is, steam is been used as a dumping ground for games, with studios abusing the steam system, trying to make a quick buck then leave the game to rot.

At the end of the day, steam does need to take action, and like I said, there are bigger issues then just the review system.

I’ll add two things. Steam is like real life. If your employer closes his business then there goes your income. Goes for everyone. You could get retrenched etc etc etc…

Why should it be different with Steam? Not sure what the developers are expecting of Steam.

Reviews is a problem but I don’t look at reviews too much. Often what people are complaining about does not bother me so I buy in any case. Maybe the developers need to get involved in the process more… Communication is king. See: CRATE.

I like Steam. For me it’s the beez knees. Hell I’ll keep it just to keep running my Steam Controller.