[Suggestion] Crimson Spike needs +1 Nightblade or Some Chaos>Vitality Conversion

I already mentioned this issue in my existing thread but I suppose it blend in and overlooked, though it’s quite normal since there is a lot of new threads in publictest section.

What I’m basically say is, Crimson Spike is a cool weapon, it’s main purpose seems to be DW Spinner vitality Conjurer. Other alternatives, especially around nightblade lacks a lot of skill points. I know it’s a 84 lvl weapon but it can atleast have +1 all skills in Nightblade and doubt that it will break any balance.

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment and share your opinion.

But in both your builds you could take Ravager helmet and +1 to NB belts.
Well at least I’d do that and with +1 NB on these swords I’d have +4 NB.

My first thought after seeing this sword was Morgo Reaper Spinner https://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2pPE0B2 (theorycraft, not sure if it’s playable). Doesn’t need skill points because I barely have anything in Necromancer ; )

In trickster, that helmet will get savagery mod and skill points to reach 9th charge.

In Witch Hunter, Blade Trap is second big bleeding damage source, and will probably very useful in SR aswell after CC resist nerf on monster in next hotfix. So helmet provides more bleeding damage to both RoS and Blade Trap, along with duration.

Can you define build ‘failed fabulously’, in my experience a bad build is not suddenly going to work miracles just because of one such buff. also I wonder how fabulously it fails when using the items tq fan suggested. I don’t think being heavily invested in blade trap is a necessity for melee builds.

It failed because Blade Trap conduit doesn’t affect most enemies in SR due to high CC resist. No trap duration= no bleeding damage= no progress. But that will change in the upcoming hotfix and consider this thread and the older one is not the same because I now know the changelogs. I replied my own thread(which is not just related to crimson pike) to renew my suggestion about Crimson Spike but it didn’t get any attraction so I decided to create new thread and share that reply in it.

The crimson spike seems primarily focused on vitality ring of steel, but that is not what you are invested in. I wonder how your build performs if you max out RoS + vitality dual wield. It seems to me your build is trying to do too much at the same time.

I’m not sure. I like his hybrid approach.

Yep the main problem with Witch Hunter is making it a both melee/caster and vitality/bleed hybrid. Probably work better with blade spirit shield focusing more bleeding and adjust to be hit&run. Trickster have already an AA with good bleeding damage so it’s being vitality&bleed hybrid is totally okay but WH suffered a lot when you can’t use Blade Trap. One-hand RoS damage is not that reliable. It could be better to play like that if that was a 2H weapon. I think that RoS mod is just for some sustain because you can’t hardcap it with vitality/bleed items either.

Just a curious side question: For the bleeding part of BT, wouldn’t just a split second of entrapment be enough to apply the same bleeding damage as with a long entrapment? Crit chances aside.

Yes, but bleeding duration is 1 sec so it’s not like trap 0,5 sec and leave to death. Bleed and flat damage on blade trap replenish every second until trap ends.

1 Like

Sorry for bumping the thread but it’s better than creating a new thread. I still ask for the same thing, Crimson Spike requires skill points.

Here is a Witch Hunter that uses 2x Crimson Spikes; suffers from lacking skill points on nightblade side.

Vitality SS, no set; support skills are RoS and ABB https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqz9Q9N (I don’t know how Blade Trap affect the build after CC resist rework in SR after 1.1.9.2 but I used the amulet for conversion)

(instead of posting in a row)Edit: Another setup, more AA oriented and Beronath https://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2BX8xbZ, used Fettan mask to get more skill points but still can’t even softcap RoS. Tried to utilize acid>vitality conversion by taking Abomination route but can’t squeeze chaos>vit gear into the setup. This dagger definitely needs +1 Nightblade bonus. If it’s not going to happen(I don’t understand but ok) then make pierce>vitality global on dagger instead of mod for RoS.

1 Like

Since I’ve been suggesting that Crimson Spike dagger should have +1 all skills to Nightblade but no change yet(maybe Z didn’t even saw the thread); I decided to take another approach.

Witch Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator DW Crimson Spike pure melee Witch Hunter;

It’s an average build; very slow, almost no AoE but quite sturdy, but I literally can’t utilize the ‘‘acid>vit’’ conversion on daggers(except ABB). If this dagger won’t get any +1 all skills to any masteries; then we should be able to have more conversion to utilize Abominable constellation. How? Like this;

Witch Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator Same gears, same setup but different devotions. Damage difference is not much without chaos>vit conversion; I lose some defense aswell so doubt extra DoT from tainted eruption bring drastic changes except some AoE.

So my new suggestion; add %40-60 Chaos>Vitality conversion on the daggers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.