[Suggestion] "The Big One" problem

Since Mortar itself was nerfed and The Big One was buffed (was it though? haven’t seen lots of feedback on mortars here), another problem shows its ugly head: you can’t scale TBO too high. Not in a sensible way, at least. I mean, there are whopping 5 items that provide skill points towards TBO, two of which occupy the same slot (amulet), and two blocking Pyran set. Would someone break a set to get those +3 to TBO? Probably not.

So what am I proposing? First of all, add +2/3 to TBO on M. Anderos Amplifier and M. Rune of Elgoloth. +3 can also be added to one of the MI pants - either Alex’s Legguards or Reaper’s Leggings.

Now, this can be too much to ask for, but Mortar doesn’t have a DoT on its own. What if TBO received a DoT? Or internal trauma rather, which can be converted to burn or electrocute. It would fit in “occasional big bada-boom” nature of the skill and, hopefully, be more desireable to invest in.

4 Likes

I changed my build when I learned about new big one [1.8.1.1] Fenix – Health Regen focused Mortar Purifier (SR80 and some celestial bosses) no Pyran set there btw but also just 14/12 big one

So from your experience TBO isn’t very impactful, I take it? Just looking at raw numbers it seems like 14 point TBO deals less than twice the damage of regular 26 mortar shell, while 22 points do ~2.5 times more damage. Or maybe I’m just bad at math. But I did try to play Pyran shieldbreaker with and without TBO at 15 points - can’t really tell if there’s much difference.

I felt some difference with just one point in big one comparing to 12.
One should also study how many big ones are shot per second and mortar on average. I have not done that yet. Becuase now it said it should be able to shoot big one more than once per mortar.

Fair.

Although at first I thought it was tied to regular shots fired, like, 3-4 shots. But I read somewhere it fires every 6-7 seconds or something. But my impression of TBO having a DoT still stands true. Shouldn’t be a big number though.

In the case of my build, I could probably have gotten more damage out of those points if spending in say rune of kalastor and ignition instead :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s probably true, since you already could have Artifact Handling at 8/10 for just one point and Ignition scales pretty decently.

1 Like

I counted number of big ones per mortar five times: 3, 3, 4, 3, 2 = 3 as average and life time is 24 seconds i.e. one big one per 8 second and per mortar on average.

btw is the skill modifier on anderos gun that converts physical to fire also converting big one damage?

from my testing, it still wasnt really worth the skill point investment (might be noticable for SR but :man_shrugging:)

2 Likes

Anderos only has global phys to fire, so yes, it does =) Seriously though, there was a bug with the items converting damage on mortars to not have an effect on TBO. It was fixed somewhere in 1.1.5.x or 1.1.6.x. So now The Big One’s physical damage is always converted through skill modifiers.

Hm, so it is in need of a further buff. Making it fire more than once was a step in the right direction, though.

1 Like

No Anderos gun has local skill specific conversion on mortar, therefore I was wondering if this skill conversion aslo affect big one.

Thanks for verification. There has been “problems” before with skill conversions. For instance I still think explosive strike count as separate skill and is not WPS so skill conversion modifiers to fire strike do not affect explosive strike. To convert explosive strike conversion need to be global.

I did test damage output on my build and yes investing in rune of kalastor and ignition was more bang for buck. Need one more button to push so I will still keep big one for QoL, but still… big one can need buff. Burn and Internal trauma damage would be very nice and also fit theme of skill as you proposed

I tested with this https://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gmA97Z

Nope, only converts Kalastor. Modifier to mortar is on your medal =)

Yes it is! Basically it’s a skill within a skill, same as Torrent on Primal Strike and Volcanic Stride on Vire’s Might, for example. If I recall Zantai was commenting on this a couple of times, but can’t quote what he said exactly.

And thanks for testing the stuff.

1 Like

you are correct I am too tired :smiley: thanks, stupid bummer of me :smiley:
But ok, big one does get fully conversion thanks to MEDAL, big one is NOT skill inside skill like expolsive strikes and volcanic strike etc

1 Like

There’s a guide about secondary skills counted separate from the main ones and Big One is there, big problem.

About Big One, I would say needs more to worth all that skill investment.

2 Likes

The mighty dragon strikes again! thanks Nery

On big one I did tests about a year ago and it had some strange behaviour when some modifiers do convert big one but others appeared not to.

Although if you say something was fixed about it in 1.1.6 then it needs a review.

Technically Big One is a granted skill to a pet, and if it doesn’t work then Ghol’s vit to acid to blight fiend won’t affect blight burst too for example.

Found it. It was fixed in 1.1.5.2, in patch notes it’s first under the [Tech].

2 Likes

Thanks, removed from the list on my guide.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.