Sword & Board Cadence Elemental Battlemage build

I’m assuming that you are doing self-found and are well into Ultimate Difficulty.

These are the issues that I see:

• damage is really low due to %damage bonus and unconverted damage.
  • cadence only converts every 3rd strike, so every other 2 lose quite a bit.
  • since this is HC, it seems a waste to not take advantage of Arcanist damage absorb and more Soldier WC reduction
  • the devotions seem to focus on lightning damage, which is only a portion of your damage, and not well supported with %damage (800%?)

This is just some suggestions: Grimtools: Faction equipment, skill and devotion changes

The idea is to get that %damage higher.

Even though you have some RR from the component, Elemental Storm is (imho) not a waste because it adds %elemental boosts. The other equipment and devotion changes also aim at increasing this boost. The sword is just an example of something that converts more physical to elemental for non-cadence damage.

And since this gear should be readily purchasable from factions, you can then just swap in better gear that you find…which tends to be the end-game of farming the better/best equipment.

Thus, in this example the weapon damage in cadence is generally the same, but the overall % damage boost is 2x what you have.

Also…just fyi : it seems due to a bug(?) Fighting form sees 100% passthrough at only 4 skill investment. You want that minimum…and only more if you can reach an breakpoint for more targets and can afford it.

Just take this as something to ponder as you play around with what you have.

1 Like

Thanks dude! I am just into Ultimate (Act 2) but will give that a try out

Edit: oh one other thing is that I think internal trauma also converts to elemental DOT, so I was trying to find sources for IT too (or is that not a good idea?)

And overguard not worth it?

Well, IT is only worth it if you can get a lot of burn/freeze/shock % damage. Typically elemental builds don’t see a lot of this boost, as %elemental damage only boosts fire/cold/elec and not the DoT.

If you are aiming for a DoT build, then the equipment would be picked towards that damage %.

Imho, overguard at such low investment is not really worth it if you can get high enough stun resist and don’t have major shield investment (devotions, components, etc). At very high skill investment the flat ~100 DR of OG is quite nice. And you could also just invest more in shield training if you have just a few points to spare. Overguard isn’t on all the time, as it has a cooldown. (I’m guessing that was your thinking with Time Dialation but even so… OG has some cooldown even with TD)

The defense from the shield is good IF you have the other stuff covered such as high-investment WC and other damage reduction.

The shield chance isn’t close to 100% in your case and the others (WC, etc) are 100% when in effect.
For example 25% reduction of a 10000 hit is 2500. A shield has a chance to take some of that but WC will definitely make that difference. It is about reducing chance.

Shields also have some “leakage” which was discovered not too long ago, depending on the amount of damage compared to how much the shield can take… summary = shield is nice extra but cover the guaranteed reductions as priority first.

Just found out I’m with the wrong faction for most of that gear :laughing:

EDIT: what about these instead? Battlemage, Level 91 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator