Tell Me Where I've Gone Wrong With My Battlemage

So, I’ve been working on a 100% elemental conversion dual-wield battlemage, with the intent of winding up with this.

I’m just curious if people can point out the flaws with this build (other than the pie in the sky MIs/rares.) I’m currently in early Elite (haven’t done Port Valbury in Veteran, I keep getting killed by reflected DoT damage as my resists are kind of terrible and without 100% conversion yet the Internal Trauma hurts a lot) and kill things fast enough with enough life steal that I’m not having too many problems.

I’m not really used to playing something without some sort of on-demand heal or wendigo totem, so I’m not sure if the somewhat low life steal I have will be enough to survive late game or not.

Oooh, I tried to make this same build back in the early days after release but never got it working. I’m excited to see someone trying out the Beronath swords. I found them to be disappointing because the proc is not my favorite but I really want them to find a good use.

I found that I was too fragile even with 15ish% lifesteal, but my dps never cleared 30k so that was probably why. You might be able to do better given that you have better OA and will likely have better DPS based on what I see on your GT. Your devotion setup is interesting, why did you choose bull? I probably would have dropped bull and taken lion and dropped scythe and taken owl and 4 of behemoth. That said, your current setup does a good job of covering your resists and providing offensive and defensive options so you may not want to change it at all.

yea you won’t like it’s proc like my friend he quit that build cause of same reason

Wow, i didn’t know Beronath sword proc was that bad. The only good thing in that proc is the 30% crit damage increase, the rest is very underwhelming.

Not to mention the proc chance in only 10% on enemy death. I know it has no cooldown but it’s still bad for a level 75 legendary item.

I believe an S&B build is far better for using 100% elemental conversion because you can exploit insane damage from Blitz aswell where dualwield focus mostly on Cadence alone.

here a grimtool about my current setup of elemental S&B for gladiator runs (average 24 mins for 100-150 which is kinda similar to physical version)

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2JeKaNp

• The effort you’re spending to get 22/12 Maiven’s is not worth it. 14/12 is just fine and will free up points for other skills.

• You’re spending a ton of effort to get 100% elemental conversion for all physical damage, yet since you’re using Cadence the overwhelming majority of your physical damage is coming from the Cadence strike, which you could just convert to 100% with 3 skill points. The swords, the components, the 18/12 IEE, the only thing they are really benefiting are Bull Rush, a 1-point Blitz, and the strikes in between Cadence. You might as well ditch Cadence and go the WPS route, especially since you’ll already have Shard of Beronath ability as your default weapon enhancer and it plays nicely with WPS skills.

• Mirror is quite simply the best mastery skill in the game since no other skill gives complete invulnerability to damage and status effects. Putting it at 12/12 vs. 6/12 is the difference between being invulnerable for 1/6th of the game vs. 1/8th of it.

• You need more attack speed. Fortunately you can just do this with components (dread skulls, kilrians soul, consecrated wrappings) and the procs should take care of the rest.

• You have way more OA than you’ll ever need, but survivability will be an issue. Take out Chariot, Scholar’s Light (meh constellation) and Harvestman’s Scythe (another meh) and replace it with Behemoth, Owl, 4 points in Targo (for health + DA) and the Order health node. You lose 200 OA and a tiny bit of Flat Elemental but you gain a shitton of HP and HP regen.

• Swap Phantom-Girdle with Reforged Chains of Oleron. Again, you lose 100 OA, but you get more crit damage and more importantly, a lot of Flat Physical (which of course means Flat Elemental).

Here is what I’d try and see if it makes a difference. Keep in mind I’m not discussing the ridiculous MI’s cause you don’t want to, but I would recommend attempting to tinker with gear choices that use as few MI’s as possible since it’ll take you years to farm those.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/62awXbZ4

Honestly, it started as an experiment. I needed the blue/yellow points, felt that the build would need some more AoE, and figured I could convert the flat internal trauma to burn/frostburn/electrocute, so I thought I’d try Bull. I really liked how it turned out, so I stuck with it.

I tried a sword and board version, but the damage felt really low. Granted, I wasn’t focusing on Blitz, as I really don’t like relying on cooldown skills for damage.

Also, I was trying to balance all 3 parts of elemental, and your build seems to lean pretty heavily towards fire, not to mention it’s not quite a 100% conversion.

Mostly I was just trying to get rid of the damage penalty.

• You’re spending a ton of effort to get 100% elemental conversion for all physical damage, yet since you’re using Cadence the overwhelming majority of your physical damage is coming from the Cadence strike, which you could just convert to 100% with 3 skill points. The swords, the components, the 18/12 IEE, the only thing they are really benefiting are Bull Rush, a 1-point Blitz, and the strikes in between Cadence. You might as well ditch Cadence and go the WPS route, especially since you’ll already have Shard of Beronath ability as your default weapon enhancer and it plays nicely with WPS skills.

Honestly, the whole point of the build was to have 100% conversion. I just wanted to try a 100% conversion build and after trying a S&B Battlemage and a Spellbreaker, this build was the one that felt the best in terms of damage and survivability (though I only played them all through early elite.) The Shard of Beronath is mostly there because I didn’t really feel like I needed 2 Sacred Strike uses and the base stats of Shard are better than Blessed Steel.

• Mirror is quite simply the best mastery skill in the game since no other skill gives complete invulnerability to damage and status effects. Putting it at 12/12 vs. 6/12 is the difference between being invulnerable for 1/6th of the game vs. 1/8th of it.

If a build needs an “Oh Shit!” skill more than once every 30 seconds, I’d argue the build belongs in the trash can. Granted, that’s just personal preference, but I’d rather not have to rely on invulnerability to stay alive.

• You need more attack speed. Fortunately you can just do this with components (dread skulls, kilrians soul, consecrated wrappings) and the procs should take care of the rest.

Is having 200% attack speed really that necessary? With procs my build comes out at 189%, which I thought was enough. Still, something I’ll definitely try, though it costs me 3% ADCTH

• You have way more OA than you’ll ever need, but survivability will be an issue. Take out Chariot, Scholar’s Light (meh constellation) and Harvestman’s Scythe (another meh) and replace it with Behemoth, Owl, 4 points in Targo (for health + DA) and the Order health node. You lose 200 OA and a tiny bit of Flat Elemental but you gain a shitton of HP and HP regen.
    Hmm…not seeing a ton more regen (without the proc), but the HP increase is nice. With the proc, the regen is only about ~35 more. I’d been reading a discussion about the Scythe while putting the build together, and I was interested in trying it.
  • Swap Phantom-Girdle with Reforged Chains of Oleron. Again, you lose 100 OA, but you get more crit damage and more importantly, a lot of Flat Physical (which of course means Flat Elemental).
    Definitely a good change.

Here is what I’d try and see if it makes a difference. Keep in mind I’m not discussing the ridiculous MI’s cause you don’t want to, but I would recommend attempting to tinker with gear choices that use as few MI’s as possible since it’ll take you years to farm those.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/62awXbZ4

I realize I could spend the rest of my life farming and likely never find those MIs. I get a bit frustrated trying to get resists maxed out on ultimate. 4 out of the 7 negotiable pieces in the build already exist mainly for resists (the rings, pants and boots.) If you have better suggestions for resists that won’t gut the rest of the build, I’d be glad to hear them. I do have a couple builds that only use 1 or 2 MI’s/rares, but it seems almost impossible to max resistances without them.

It dont rely only on blitz, it is a combination of several factors (cadence/blitz/elemental rings proc/meteor shower/targo/elemental storm) which lead to “decent” overall damage. this is mostly why (from my point of view) your build fail, cos you rely only on Cadence. :slight_smile:

Yes it is a bit more focused on fire, meteor shower was just too good to pass up since half of the damage is physical, not to mention about raws stats of ulzuin torch itself.
I have slightly better rolled item than Grimtooll average show (17% beronath & shield) which lead to 17+17+22+25+10+10 -> 101% conversion, even if you have a bit lower rolled items you can compensate with overcap IEE.