Template woes

Say I have a skill called firebolt, and it uses template skill_projectile.tpl by default

I copy skill_projectile.tpl and paste it in my mod’s template folder and rename it to skill_firebolt.tpl. I open firebolt.dbr in a text editor and change the template to skill_firebolt.tpl

But now when I open firebolt.dbr in the asset manager it says “template not found”

Mod templates are not currently supported, though I have to wonder what you hope to achieve by making a template.

Trying to mix templates. For example, the template Cadence uses doesn’t allow for character stats to be increased. So if I wanted to add attack speed to Cadence I’d need a template that has everything the original has (skill_weaponpool_chargedfinale in this case) + Parameters_Character.tpl

A Template is simply a table of data fields. Without the code to back it up, it won’t do anything.

So you can’t just combine two templates and have the game recognize this new type of skill. It requires code.

You can workaround it and just make a modifier like Deadly Momentum that gives attack speed, or use another template like savagery.

But yea like Zantai said, what you want can’t really be done.

So you mean that we cannot even try to add a couple of new Variable inside an already existing template?

And… if we can’t… is there any other way to circumventing it? Cause if this is the case, it looks like (as an example) there’s
no way to even add some new inventory windows to the already existing ones… :mad:

I did something similar but for me it didn’t work since my base skill was not an attack-type.

For you it should work fine.

Here what I did.

First make a new skill, in this case a self-buff with a duration.
In that skill buff, change character attack speed for X seconds and give it a cooldown time equivalent to your buff duration, no mana cost otherwise it will apply on the next step. (No Level either)

Save it

Then in your Cadence skill, you want to set the buff under ‘autoCast’ and under ‘autoCastController’ you want to use the ‘cast_@selfonattack_100%.dbr’ controller.

Result :
Cadence will cast the buff on yourself for X seconds if you don’t miss your attack.

Have fun!