The Carnival - A Guide to Pets

*Eats jMatty *

1 Like

There are tons of generic game guides though :slight_smile: Which suits any kind of build you are making

Thank you for the kind words and I am really glad that my works were of use :blush:

3 Likes

Hi @Maya!

Like Johnny, I am very new and registered on this site to thank you for your excellent work and great explanation of Pet Builds. Like you, I am passionate about pet builds. Thank you so much! I have re-read The Carnival two or three times now like its a novel :smiley:

I do have a topic/question that I would like to go over with you though = Pets and devotions. I would like to attach devotion skills to pets so that they get those abilities. Can you give me some background on how this works? I have a list of questions on this! :smiley:

1. Do all pets get the devotion when you give a particular pet type an ability? Like, if you were to give your skeletons an ability, would the briarthorn get it too? I tried to test this but there are so many things going on with a pet build, even early in the game, that’s it hard to know for sure.

2. As the question above has been answered below, I have an expansion on it. Do devotion abilities that are “on hit” and given to buff aura (like Bysmael’s Bonds) extend to our pets?

3. Is it better to give an ability to a pet that has a high chance to proc and therefore is attached to a skill with a low cooldown (I am referring to the Old God devotion for example here)?

4. Devotions that are “% on block”: I don’t think pets block, so are those devotion abilities useless to us or do they work a different way?

5. If I want to see the damage my pets are doing with the devotion abilities, are the numbers in the devotion tree accurate? If not, how do I find out how much my pets are doing?

6. Any particular abilities you recommend giving to my pets for different builds? Based on your builds, reading the The Carnival, and my experiments with devotions, I have come up with some wacky stuff. For instance, a holy undead skeleton build which has tree of life, light of empyrion, and natures guardians all at once. Looks really cool and makes my skeletons pretty tanky (I can handle SR 90 with a skeleton-focused build this way).

7. For a poison pet Ritualist: Scorpion Sting or Acid Spray (or both)?

If there is anything else I should know about this and I have missed in my questions, please tell me :smiley: Thank you so much!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, devotions attached to a particular pet are only procc’d by that pet.

I’m not sure about the rest of your questions so I’ll leave Maya to answer those.

2 Likes

Awesome @Johnny_HU will check it out, thank you! This HAS been a question, you read my mind :smiley:

Thank you @medea_fleecestealer!

2 Likes

First of all, like others have said, welcome to the forums :blush:

Regarding your questions;

• Like Medea said, devotions attached to a particular pet are only procc’d by that pet. However, each Pet of the same kind, multiple Skeletons for eg, have their own proc chance. But the Cooldown is shared between them, so even with higher proc chance you cannot have 10 skeletons casting 10 Whirlpools at the same time for eg.

• Bysmiel’s Bonds is “on attack” and Spawns a temporary Pet upon proc.
    But if you mean something like “Tree of Life” bound to say… Mogdrogen’s Pact, then no. You still need to get Hit for it to Proc. All “On Hit” devotions work like that even when bound to Aura like Skills that also affect your Pets.

• There is no Old God devotion and Dying God, if that is what you are referring to, cannot be bound to Pets. All “buff” based devotion procs follow the same rule and cannot be bound to Pets.
    Not sure what you mean by low cooldown and higher chance to proc. Are you talking about something like Flame Torrent (Fiend Devotion Proc) being more ideal on Skeletons rather than bound to Hellhound for eg?
    If so, then other than RR based procs (like Elemental Storm from Rhowan’s Crown), the rest you don’t really need to worry about.
    All Pets more or less have the same proc chance, only affected by how many of that particular Pet you can have at the same time, their OA + attack Speed and the Familiar being unique since it is the only Ranged mastery based Pet and fires multiple projectiles each having their own Chance to Proc the devotion.
    But yes, Ideally, something like Flame Torrent would work better on Skeletons rather than say… on Og’Napesh Pet.

• “On block” devotion procs, just like “On Hit” devotion procs cannot be bound to Pets and can only be bound to the Player. And since Pet build rarely make use of Shields and even then, won’t have high enough Block chance, such procs are useless to Pet builds.

• Grim Internals, as linked above by Johnny is the best tool for that and is highly recommended :+1:

• Your imagination is the only real limit when it comes to devotions. Feel free to experiment :stuck_out_tongue:

• Scorpion Sting is optional, but Acid Spray is mandatory.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Maya, the pet guru comes through again :smiley: I am a question machine, I’ll come up with some more once I have absorbed this advice.

1 Like

If I bind something to reap spirit, does it give the spirit pet an ability, or is it on attack from me?

1 Like

What Johnny said :blush:

Also, any conversions to the Reap Spirit skill that does not specifically mention Pets only convert the initial spell damage and not the Pet’s.

1 Like

Weird theorycrafted alt Version of my Ishtar Diviner Ritualist with Exploding BlightFiends:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoaQQQ2

1 Like

I need a bit of help. I’m playing a Pet Pyromancer based around the Dracarris. I’m trying to find a devotion path that allows me to take Bysmiel’s Bonds (for the flat RR and extra minion) while keeping Shepherd’s Crook and Solael’s Witchblade (main damage type is fire) but i haven’t been able to find a way to take these three and still have enough devotion points for Tree of Life and Ishtak (i’m always 1 point away). Could you please tell me if you know a viable devotion path for this?

Option 1: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jnR102
Option 2: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0m93yZ (you get 1 free devo point to invest wherever you want)

:yum:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I really need the extra minion as i upgraded the relic to Mogdrogen’s Ardor. The whole setup relies on getting the most out of Pet retaliation and only having one tank wasn’t going to function all that well.

1 Like

All my updated builds now come with Devotion Order displayed on the initial/original post of the threads.

Apologies for being this late with them, but laziness overtook me :woman_shrugging:

If any of the devotion orders have been written wrong, please do let me know along with any other errors you may find. This was all done in a Choco Icecream fueled drunken haze.

I am wondering what is the max cap of pet damage % ? pet attack speed% ? OA &DA %?

Is there a way to check how much is the critical damage % ? and the base OA & DA of pet? as they are not displayed in the pet info

Pet attack speed may or may not be capped at 200% bonus attack speed, not sure.

The rest do not have a cap, or atleast one that can be reached ingame via any legit means.

Here: https://www.grimtools.com/petdb/

1 Like

Sometimes, Fwuffies tend to get a bit crazy… especally when drunk on icecream.

A random Variation of my Skeleton Cabalist: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9OeYQN

1 Like

Maya, what’s your opinion on the pet lifesteal on Toad and Revenant? Is it enough by itself to keep pets alive, especially skeletons?

1 Like

Don’t forget pets have other means to survive as well. Like global heals, Blood of Dreeg and such. Also they have bigger health pools.

I personally find Toad to be really good for pets. Haven’t tried Revenant , not particularly great stats for pet builds and tough to fit it in standard devotion routes, especially going for Moggy.

Skeletons are too glassy for my taste, don’t know how players keep them alive ir they are just the cannon fodder :smiling_imp:

1 Like