The game must want me to make a Fire buid...any suggestions?

So most drops I get seem to be either for Lightning or Fire damage. I’ve already done a Lightning build, so I’m thinking of trying a Fire build to use all this gear I’m stockpiling.

I didn’t see much in the compendium, so maybe someone knows of a build elsewhere that matches, or perhaps I overlooked something.

Anyway, I’m thinking of trying a dual-wield ranged build that focuses on Fire/Burn damage. I suppose it doesn’t have to be DW, but that seems like it would make sense for a high damage build. I’d rather not deal with any other types of damage.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Fire Strike works out. Also, Fire Strike can be Fire/Lightning, if you want. Or Fire/Aether, Fire/Chaos, Fire/Physical, just Fire… It’s got a lot of varieties.

What would be the best second mastery with Demolitionist?

You can do with either Occultist or Arcanist. Honestly i would go with Occultist and do a Fire/Chaos.

You got Solael Witchfire for some Attack Speed and flat chaos, Vulnerability for some elemental resist reduction and Blood of Dreeg for some heal, regen, OA, physical resist and poison resist. Oh and Possession too.

I understand what you’re saying, but I think I may try Arcanist, mainly because I’ve used Occultist as a secondary mastery a couple of times already and despite being a very cool and useful class, it’s starting to feel repetitive. Arcanist seems like it would complement a Fire build well and also be something different.

It depends on which kind of Fire Strike you make. Shaman buffs Lightning. Soldier, for Physical/Internal Trauma. Arcanist for Aether. Occultist, Chaos. All of these have good gear supporting them, so all of them are usable options.

If you want something very low-button, I suggest Shaman. You go into Shaman and get Stormcaller’s Pact, and Mogdrogen’s, no extra buttons there… In Demolitionist, you can skip Flashbang and just get Thermite Mines, so you end up just spamming Fire Strike, and dropping Mines for Heroes/Bosses. Easy stuff.

you could try something like this: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQYPlN6

thats a build that focusses on firestrike and other skills to complement it. really fun build, a bit squishy at times though! been testing a few things already (grenado, hellhound, getting possession and other things) but ive been liking the familiar so far as it gives you a nice buff to both elemental damage and resists and a heal for sustainance next to the life steal that you are doing.

One thing to note: you might just want to wait until the expansion is out; the demo + inquisitor might become the best dual wielding fire build!

Interesting. When is that expected to release?

So is a pure Fire build not viable or advisable? Is it generally paired with another damage type?

Pure Fire can be done, but generally there’s no class that supports Fire… Other than Demolitionist. So you end up in an odd spot for picking a second class. Generally it’s easier to pair it with some other damage type. Lightning is IMO the easiest, because of the third piece of Fire Strike, and because there’s a lot of Fire/Lightning support in Demo and the Demo gearing.

As for the expansion… We have no idea. Nobody does, not even Crate.

Thanks. I’ll look into the combos you mentioned and see which one sounds like the most fun. I already did a Primal Strike Warder, so I may not do Lightning again. I’m trying to make characters that don’t overlap too much with one another in terms of damage type and play style.

it really depends on what you want to play.

Demo + Occultist works, because there are some fire - chaos synergies in both gear and skills (blackwatercocktail has chaos, firestrike does as well, hellfire mines debuff chaos resistance).

Demo + Arcanist works, because arcanist has a lot of fire which is mostly paired with aether, you get callidors for close range, olexras for not only CC but for an insane fire debuff; iskandras will give you a lot of energy regen, which you will need for a spammy firestrike build. id say this mastery combo would be the best to choose if you dont have specific gear; pyromancer seems to be more gear dependent.

Demo + Shaman also can work, although shaman doesnt have any fire synergies, however it brings lightning which is a secondary damage type that the demo has. i just feel like you might be better off building lightning alltogether, if you go this route, since youd be benefitting more from the shaman.

Demo + Soldier works as well, you just go more into the realm of fire + physical damage. most skills in the soldier tree however benefit a melee build better, which is fine if you want to go melee with this build!

Demo + Nightblade can also work but you wouldnt get much out of the nightblade other than pneumatic burst whith its modifiers and maybe some other stuff. dont really know much about this combination and havent really seen any gear that would support it much. it seems to lack synergy, but maybe someone can correct me on this!

Demo + Nightblade can also work but you wouldnt get much out of the nightblade other than pneumatic burst whith its modifiers and maybe some other stuff. dont really know much about this combination and havent really seen any gear that would support it much. it seems to lack synergy, but maybe someone can correct me on this!

Saboteur ranged here (two handed but wtv).
You don’t get much, no, Pneumatic Burst, Veil of Shadow isn’t bad and Phantasmal Armor too. But the Demo is really self sufficient in itself, Fire is rather easy to build up, in equips or devotion (got get Meteor Shower ffs), so all in all it “works” (I finished the game on Ultimate with it, even with a bullshit stat repartition).
Main problem is that all piercing stuff on the Nightblade are melee weapon dependant.

Thanks, very helpful! I’m leaning toward Arcanist, since it supports my idea and also because I haven’t really gotten deep into it before. Great breakdown!

Edit: Actually, one quick question about Arcanist, or Elemental damage in general: I know that when a skill gives a flat Elemental damage bonus, the damage is split evenly between Fire, Cold, and Lightning, but how does it work for percent damage increase or percent resistance reduction? Is that also split into thirds, or does each damage type get the full amount?

Thanks!

100% Elemental Damage is the same as 100% Fire, 100% Cold and 100% Lightning. The point is that the multiplicative modifier doesn’t split between the three.

The splitting damage only happens with flat damage.

Thanks very much!