The Pet Closet Cleaning thread

The better option would be to remove the extra pet from the set bonuses and add it to the base skill at level 24. I saw someone suggest this and doesn’t sound unreasonable. It wouldn’t change the number of Pets but it would open up some more possibilities from non-set gear. Otherwise, sets will always block slots constantly and completely negate other options.

I’m not a pet expert but isn’t it relatively easy to get 24/26 for two pets?

Thing is, skeletons are already balanced this way. You don’t need any specific set or item to feel like you’re playing a skeleton build. Meanwhile you can’t really call running around with just one briarthorn a “briarthorn build”. The +1 summon limit is a common factor for all briarthorn builds so it makes sense to have it as part of the skill instead of a set.

Wouldn’t that be something to be running around with 2 Familiars, 2 Briarthorns, and 2 Hellhounds?

Maybe, but the difference of +3/+4 skeletons is not the same as having +1 Briarthorn, also becasue other items add +1 to Skeletons and you are expected to have at least 9 or 10 anyway; +X Skeletons is not limited to a single set. Damage output of Skeletons is much more gradual in comparison. In this way, balancing would really come down to “how many skill points can we allow in all gear available”.

I am not sure I agree with this. Shepherd of Lost Souls is on 80% (as far as I have found) of the Skeleton builds in the compendium, with the others using Ghol’s and +1 Blight Fiends… Sure, Skeletons are balanced about gradually increasing their numbers, but I don’t see the same option open for other pets, unless you want to have at least 3 or 4 of each, as otherwise the damage increase is way to high for one skill point difference.

Another option would be to remove the +1 summon limit from the set, but add it to another item in such a way that +1 summon is exclusive. This way, you still can only double up on a single pet, but remove the necessity for completed sets.

EDIT: With the new playtest update, some testing should be done to compare set and non-set performances. Direction of the current playtest has been to reduce the necessity of sets, curious to see how they fared. I am in no way a competent Crucible or SR pilot, otherwise I’d have done it myself.

Maybe having the +1 summon limit as a crafting bonus for pet relics would be a decent option. This way it would be exclusive while not forcing you to use any specific item.

1 Like