The State of Early Access - Update #01

Already said they won’t be releasing it over the weekend. Probably early next week I would guess assuming they don’t hit any last minute problems.

3 Likes

The color scheme of the upgraded plaza doesn’t seem to be perfect. We think the unupgraded Stone Road Plaza is more harmonious. We believe that resident control is low because they cannot immediately deal with later home repairs. If you add the option to immediately abandon all current activity, which can order them to repair any house, it will greatly improve efficiency :wink:

1 Like

oooh hedges as fences please! like the ones around the theatre etc…

also can we please manage what goods go into a wagon shop, and then where they deliver those goods (another wagon shop), and also what they receive so we can manage their routes a bit better

1 Like

Maybe a tier 3 road to match with the upgraded plaza’s? Fancy brick road with ornaments, nice sophisticated patterns etc, increases desirability as well. Like the idea of hedges and maybe iron fences for decoration?

Please be patient, they are working their butts off!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Some bug reports

Patch 0.7.5 waiting room

2 Likes

@FinHermit , I can get my population up to around 360-375, but then it begins to crash. I have multiple kinds of food, multiple kinds of services, an usually a majority of overlap in grocers, an plenty of desirable locations (parks, squares, etc.) and higher-end goods (furniture, glassware, etc.). And it will run fine for maybe 3-4 seasons (with growth stagnate, but sustained). Then, it will cross over a winter into a new year and some 20-30% of the buildings will suddenly be at 33% level of maintenance - all needing either (mostly) boards from the sawmills, or (to a lesser extent), clay. In ALL cases, I have plenty of inventory of both when this happens - but there is no way to direct some one to address it.

Also, (and maybe related to the trading post), at some point, despite plenty of well-managed, timed, and staffed farms, the wheat just seems to disappear!!! This affects the miller, the baker, the brewery, and by extension, pubs!

And before anyone else asks, yes, I realize that many of the production shops require either/and tools and heavy tools, but again, I will have these in all places and extra inventory available!

There ought to be a selection on when you press the magnifying glass showing the the low maintenance, that the pop-up has the option to set the remedy to a priority just like any other build option.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from The State of Early Access - Update #01:
Suggest :

1. Poor optimization, the game starts to appear when the population reaches 250, and the FPS drops
    (CPU, VGA, MEM are far more than the basic configuration)
  2. Added carriages, warehouses… You can select all new types to cancel (ex : food, building materials, processed products…)
  3. Add multiple selected city walls or buildings, and give priority to construction at the same time.
  4. Resource exhaustion reminder?
  5. Select open space and plant trees in the area?
  6. The range acquisition function also requires range cancellation
1 Like

Folks this is not for ideas and feedback. For those please use the Ideas & Feedback section of the forum.

Other discussions should take place in General Discussion, not here.

4 Likes

@Patrickzero133 , (and @Zantai, wink wink!)

• As to Chickens, I think, just like apiaries for the bees, you could place a single square chicken coop in places.

• Better yet, given the time period, why not just have lower-levels of home grades automatically create limited eggs (and even milk from a goat), only needing such items as the house grade increases to beyond a large house. In this way, there could be a new industry for eggs, pigs, and/or goats (milk) that would be needed to provide such goods to a higher class of residence.
  • Why not make a separate industry built on sheep** -

• Small stables, larger stables, pasture land, shepherds, etc.? Pork, chicken, and eggs could come from the smaller homes, but wool and lamb meat could come from the sheep farms.
  • Horses and oxen - you see the horses pull carts, but you don’t know where they come from (the wainwright certainly doesn’t provide them!

• The horses could be a side product of the barn (you could choose full cows, full horses, full oxen, or some kind of balance between the two.

• But unlike the cows, the horses would require a fenced in pasture (more industry development). And the birth-rate for horses would be x1 per year (vs. the x2 for a herd of cows). On that note, the Oxen would be just like cows (not need a fenced-in pasture).

• However, Oxen would come first (level I), then cows (Level II), and finally, horses at Level III. This would mean that the barns would need to be moved from level II down to level I, but they only provide the Oxen).

• The overall industry expansion (chickens, sheep, horses, oxen, and more (farriers, etc.) would be something like this:

• Chickens (and eggs) are automatically provided at lower homes. Upon the the creation of the first "Manor House", the option to build a separate chicken coop structure with a single worker becomes available - its slightly undesirable, but not like a compost pile or soap factory.**

• Sheep stables are available at Level I with a single shepherd (which creates 1) wool, 2) lamb meat, and 3) hides for leather); at Level II, a larger sheep Farm with x2 shepherds (and larger herd sizes) with an efficiency bonus in production (birth rates could go up) - but needs more grain and pasture sizes). ,

• Once the first sheep stable is build, a new production facility is offered – a spinner, which can take wool to make yarn.

• Likewise, the existing tannery facility can create leather from the carcasses (at any level of sheep facility)

• Once a Sheep Stable is upgraded to the Level II Sheep Farm, the spinner facilities can be upgraded to a textile building (which can create yarn but also fabrics).

• Just like existing barns, sheep facilities can create meat, tallow, fats, oils, etc for use in bakeries, soap manufacturing, and other existing facilities.

• Oxen or horses could be used to pull the supply wagons in town to move goods (oxen first, then horses), but on the farms, the initial labor is manpower.

• The blacksmith

• Moved to level II for initial construction (along with both coal mines or the charcoal plant) from level III,

• It would make initial goods (not just overly simplified “tools”) - things like hinges, nails, kitchen wear (e.g. pots), etc.), and finally general “tools” (such as hammers, shovels, scythes, etc.).

• At level II, the blacksmith could be upgraded to provide more detailed items like plows, heavy machinery, and specialized “tools” (like for ***armorers and watchmakers (another industry for upper class goods)).

• Farms, at level II, farms could be upgraded to plows and oxen to increase production* (and lower manpower labor requirements) of agriculture. But, like many of the other production facilities, they would require replacement parts (for the plows).

• Barns and Farriers at Level III,

• Once horses are available (that is, at a Level III barn and once they are procured from a trader), they would need a farrier** to produce horseshoes and nails (although the level III blacksmith could make them too).

• There would need to be a set ratio of horses to farriers before another farrier was needed. A Farrier shop could be a 2x1 or 2x2 sized stand-alone building that housed the farrier and his tradecraft requirements. Since even in medieval times, farriers performed blacksmithing, the farrier shop would also require water, iron, coal, and “specialized tools” (those created by the level III blacksmith shop).

• As an option a barn could have another “level III” upgrade (to create an “in-house” farrier shop) which would could perform all the same functions.

• To be clear, a barn would have to upgrade to level III to first be able to have horses, but then, after the first horse is acquired (ostensibly from a trader just like cows), then that barn could then have an optional upgrade to add the “farrier addition”.

• Like wise, the stand-alone farrier shop would require at least one horse somewhere in the town.

• The reason for the two options would be that horses could be used a manor homes for carriages, in town for various functions like traders and other merchants to use, or even on a farm for select jobs.

• Thus, the separate farrier building(s) could be made closer to those areas with those demands (and not have an undesirable effect since they would be going to where the horses were are - house calls).

• The farrier at the barns would be for those horses there at the barn only, and without, the horse herd would degrade slightly.

• Finally, Pub ==> Tavern ==> Inn… there should be a growth of:

• A pub which only serves drinks);

• A tavern, where traders and travelers (maybe even pilgrims) could get a drink and then food, and;

• An Inn is the final upgrade to, where travelers and customers can even store their horses.

• Note: at level III, there could be a similar “extra” upgrade to the Inn to have an in-house farrier.

Thus, the whole beasts of burden industry can be layered with other industry growths as well.

3 Likes

Since I am a still trust level “0”, I am limited to only x3 replies, I am consolidating my replies to a few people in this singe “reply”. Sorry - once I get to TL2, I can do more, but not yet here…

@Jaradis, RE a resource/function closer (or even next to) a building needing that item/service, yet the AI sends it elsewhere…

• I have the same problem with the rat catchers! I will have a building right next to a rat catcher that is “infested” with rats! You would think that the “efficiency” of the rat catcher (or anything with a radius ring) would diminish the farther it is away from the center of the ring (that is to be clear, of the ring and not the source building since rings can be away from the production building).

• But this asks the question - is the outer ring limit “final”? That is, such as the Arborist - what happens to trees that are just at (on the line if you will) of the ring - does the Arborist maintain these trees at
    all (or at the same level as those within the ring). By the way, the job “arborist” should actually be called an “orchardist” since this is the proper name for one who specifically tends to fruit trees (and the promised “forester” could be the one who maintains non-food maintained trees in a given (designated) area.

@Natani question of “why all of this religious crap”…

• Because in a historical context, the lives of everyday people was dominated by some kind of religious structure (clerics, wisemen, priests, gurus, swamis, rabbis, hothgafi, seer, cantor, witch, druids, etc.). It was also a means to provide control to the lower classes while simultaneously providing legitimacy to non-religious leaders (kings, emperors, etc.). Moreover, historically, religious bodies are often the initial “organizations” to help the needy, indigent, homeless, infirmed, orphaned, etc. Finally, many human developments and historical chronicles arised from the various elements of such organizations (such as monks transcribing older Latin or Greek texts into newer versions (or even translating them), or such as monks who dominated the brewery tradecrafts).

• Thus, given the implied historical period and region that the game provides, its easy to see why the lack of catholic (or even Norse, Celtic, or other religions) should be a component of the game.

• If you don’t agree with that, then maybe a different game set in a different period/region (or even fantastical environment) would be better suited to you. Just a thought for consideration overall.

@Moos comments about the costs and such related to the movement of a cemetery.

• Here is my take: while the developers seem to think that it should “sting” to move a cemetery (they mentioned the cost in gold), historically, space was always at a premium! It is not unheard of in medieval times for the grave of someone to be moved after a period of rest to make way for someone new. Local church graveyards were only so big, so maybe a generations or two later, a grave would either be reburied deeper, or the final remains consolidated in other areas (such as crypts and such underground). Then a new parishioner would be buried in the newly available plot. Further, as evident in the business of the church, the more wealthy you were (specifically - how much you paid), the closer you could be buried to the church alter. Obviously, royalty or historically significant people would be laid to rest in extra ordinary interments based on the desires of the church or the local congregations/villagers, to show honor to that person.

• Thus, it would seem that, once full, a cemetery could be “emptied” (or moved) with no penalty other than the number of manhours/labor needed to do it. Options could be given to reintern someone (or groups) elsewhere, or to “dispose” of the very old remains to make way for either deconstruction of all or part of a given cemetery. However, the penalty should only be increased beyond manhours/labor if the presently allocated space for a cemetery is not yet full, or if a set amount of time has not yet passed since it was first established. In this way, a player could, for example, adjust smaller, the given size of a previously defined cemetery (that is, if you made it 10x10, but you already had 10x6 filled, you could reduce the size from 10x10 to 10x6, thus “filling” that cemetery and regaining some land back). But the AI would determine the assignment of tombstones, so the cemetery walls would be adjusted by the player only up to the point of reaching the existing graves).

• This would be both more historical, and not such a PITA to make changes later down the line in game play! Heck, recall that just a few years back, the grave of King Richard III was found under a friggen parking lot!

@ASRAi, RE dragging to build/designate multiples of something (such as trees)

• I agree SOOOO much!!! Until this new fix comes out, I am having to often plant decorative trees to create a forested area. But to do so, you have to 1) click each time for each tree, 2) then, to get it “planted” sooner, you then have to very tediously click each one, 3) then select the prioritize… rinse and repeat… a lot!!! that really sucks!

• In a similar vein, when trying to expand a field, you have to start at the edge of an existing field and then you have to select a minimum size/dimension before you can implement it. You should just be able to add, square by square, the desired increase to an existing field! Otherwise, just create a new field!

@Haiyun_Lin , @Frank327, and @JonleSanguinaire, in response to having an option that makes less micro-management/manipulation,

• I think on thing would be for a “radar map” that would show somewhere in the GUI edges - that would allow you to both quickly go to somewhere else by clicking on that area in the map insert, but also by showing select resources for areas that have been “surveyed” so that you don’t have to spend an hour trying to hunt down coal or gold ore sources on the main main!

• The angle of the map would be okay if you could continue to pan out to the size of entire area (or at least to the area thus surveyed (not black))!

• I too started to become so frustrated with the tediousness of managing select supply chains, that it was not enjoyable! Automation of some (or all) of those production chains would be great! A player can always go in and micromanage every aspect, but you wouldn’t have to unless you wanted to.

• Also, to automatically produce a set quantity of something (as demanded by other resource consumers), as well as to automatically deconstruct/reclaim a production site (such as a mine) once that resources is exhausted in that area! Its crazy to think that people assigned to work in say a mine, would just go to work for ever even if the mine is empty!

• Likewise, for hunters and gathers - if the resources are exhausted (or shy away because of development), they would automatically relocate father out (within explored areas) to areas that provide the level of resource desired (even this could be set - go anywhere, go to an area with at least ‘this’ much, or go find an area with the maximum currently available… the like).

@steve_p RE in the distance from source to storage.

• I think it would be great if you could create ‘outer edge’ hamlets or micro-settlements where storage and minimal resources/goods could be traded and/or stored. Then either the residents therein, or traders from the main settlement could go out to these points of trade, and gather those needed resources for further movement to the main town.

• To me, I think of CO-OP grain elevators along a given rail line where farmers will (to this day!!!) bring their grain to be stored (or sold) and put into a consolidated set of silos, where the trucks or trains then collect and take the grain back to larger, more consolidated industrial areas for further processing/trade/storage. Kind of like leapfrogging.

3 Likes

Thank y’all for creating such an amazing game and continuing your effort! These development changes are going to be great! I look forward to the resource production limits!!!

@SigepMan And? Not every game like this needs religious BS. The game is fine without it.
Just because its medieval setting doesn’t mean it has to have religious undertones and system in it. There are thousands of games with it in there. Not every game needs the junk. And no I won’t find another game because I love medieval genre minus the religious bs forced down throats

2 Likes

And we definitely need an expedition team to bring our goods to other villages to trade, by wagon or by sailboat.

1 Like

Fair - you could simply just not build those lines of production, buildings, etc. I, for example, play on the most simplest settings without enemies – I am just not in to that aspect (yet). So I don’t build armories and ramparts and towers, and gates, etc. Seems you could do the same, but others could leverage that aspect at their choice. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean others won’t, so kindly don’t marginalize others’ comments because your don’t agree. I was merely pointing out the historical narratives for consideration. You do you! All the same, enjoy your play and have fun!

2 Likes

*BOATS!!! Harbors, AI trade with other towns! Oh, the possibilities!!!

Don’t forget bridges and the ability to flatten land at a waters’ edge!

(@Zantai ?)

2 Likes
1 Like

Haven’t played yet this weekend! Came back to the forum to find this post and pick up where i left my save. I’m very excited for all upcoming updates! The ideas and feedback forum has alot of good stuff in it and so does this post. Is anyone gleaning the fruit?

Great thread, love peoples response to have levels of realism. Having these options available should not take anything away from the game as long as they are options. Always more options!

+1 for new game option checkbox, deep mines!
+1 for having additional options through tiered game mechanics to extend harvesting processes and workflows through game mechanics.
+1 for response to feedback