this shows just how good spellbinder is, but it's also a bit sad...

thanks to Sir SpanksAlot for help on this build and the discussion

I was testing my chaos strike/chaos bolt spellbinder, which converts chaos damage to aether but also makes use of devastation, on mad queen

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQejQ8N

the kill time was actually great, killed her in 31 seconds

mad queen fight

//youtu.be/p-7UAsDTlcE

however, once I started testing the effect of chaos bolt on the training dummy, being my main attack skill, I found out it’s actually not as strong as I expected it to be
it will deal just below 10k1.85 damage
I then also found out that it’s actually devastation that deals the real damage (avg. 40k
1.85), which is of course great because that means it carries the build, offense-wise

testing of chaos bolt damage

//youtu.be/gLugJNhFz_c

I’m also a bit sad about this because I like chaos bolt a lot
it shoots several projectiles which then bounce off the ground once before dissolving

I initially tried it as my attack skill on a pet build, until someone told me my build could better be focused on either pets or chaos
then I tried it on a chaos warlock, it was ok but I never leveled it to 100
finally I made this spellbinder
I wanted to be sure about what it does in late game though, so I made a testing toon which is now being used for this thread

well, chaos bolt is actually only a level 12 component skill, so it stands to reason that it will not be so strong later on
you have to buff it in your skill trees, because being a component skill it has no progression
I didn’t expect it to be this bad though…

personally I think it’s a very cool skill and I think it’s a shame that it’s only available during leveling
I would like to see a stronger version of it for higher levels, also increasing the potential for stronger chaos builds, which we don’t see too many of
maybe it could also bounce one or two times more

Ayeeeeeee. Thanks for the shoutout homie!

Just wanna add that the player must be skilled enough to pilot a binder well! Timing is key to the build.

Chaos Bolt is best used in melee range so that the bolts are guaranteed to shotgun.

yes, I agree
that is why I use it together with chaos strike
still… the damage on higher levels is disappointing (to me)

//youtu.be/vDgO_ecGcX0

wait a minute, it just dawned on me that what you’re basically saying is that in melee range CB does four times the damage, which equals the average of devastation
that average is for one meteor though…

not quite news that spellbinders are the most pampered in GD. Idk how much skill you need for it :smiley:

0.6 should tone him down a bit:)

@OP: You should have fiend bound to chaos bolt to proc it crazy. Flame torrent is the real dmg dealer in melee

@OP: You should have fiend bound to chaos bolt to proc it crazy. Flame torrent is the real dmg dealer in melee

that is a great suggestion, thanks!

mate, binders are inherently so powerful so they will never be broken from their CDR opness imo

Sure, I know. Just kidding.

I am in the middle of levelling a spellbinder to feel its OPness. Hope it will not be nerfed that bad… :flushed:

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

@StrUktO
Try these one :
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72097

AoM Components seems better for Spamming Spells :wink:

Just use Full Elemental Conversions, your Devastation will deal more Aether Damage :slight_smile:

It also has fast MQ kill times :

//youtu.be/0-nr6-Z01BU&feature=youtu.be

Unless they slam CDR to shit (i.e. capping CDR to 25%, and reducing Aeon’s CD reset to 4s), binders will always be viable. MoT and Mirror chain very well together.

And even if the above speculation were come to pass, you can still bridge mirror and MoT with ishtak.

I seriously wouldn’t worry about it

Can you give us a clue, what kind of nerf that will afflict Spellbinder?

Yeah, I am cooking up a DW spellbinder that rely solely on MoT & MoE chaining to survive. the devotion path is also quite tight, certainly there will be no room for nature’s guardian

If crate really nerfing spellbinder’s MoT & MoE to the ground, it will be quite hard to survive with spellbinder.

@fluff: I hope so, current changes from latest couples of update have been positive so far, so I am quite optimistic. I am really looking forward on how crate revamping pet build though… :slight_smile:

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

If crate really nerfing spellbinder’s MoT & MoE to the ground, it will be quite hard to survive with spellbinder.

Krieg binder with Haunt relic is nearly immortal w/o chaining broken spells =)

If you aren’t just way too lazy to time, you are not affected at all as a spellbinder imo.

It will just demand more focus

Hope the will intervene on MoT, but NOT on MoE, arcanist class per se doesn’t need any nerf

Mirror/Mark/TD nerf confirmed!

Seriously, unless core game mechanics change (yeah, even of TD is nerfed to unplayability), Binder will never fall out of top tier unless Crate also wants to dumpster classes like Apostate.

Nerf Arcanist/Necro skills? Hurts other classes more. Nerf Aether devotions? Hurts other classes more. Nerf Aether items? There’s a lot of them and binder can use nearly all of them with great effect. No way they’ll all be nerfed. If adding a bit of ‘skill’ is what will happen to binder next patch, then I think that’s the final adjustment to be made for them unless Crate spices things up in the xpac.