Throwing Damage Conversion around is not ideal

Damage conversion was a very fun mechanic, and has always shown great potential as “build enabler”. However, I think recent approach dev has adopted is overdoing.

Many items have been redesigned and received damage conversion, this to me is like dev is now trying to “assign” items to a respective specific damage conversion, which ultimately, will likely bound items to specific builds.

However, damage conversion, unlike OA/DA or damage or resistance, is an OPTION rather than a flat bonus. The current approach is problematic because it started to overlook, or purposefully ignore builds which don’t want damage conversion.

Examples of “Throwing damage conversion around”:
-Mythical Spellbreaker Waistguard: added 50% of Acid dealt as Pierce
A general nightblade belt used for +1 skills, now specifically designed for pierce conversion builds

-Mark of Ulzuin: added 100% of Lightning dealt as Fire modifier for Albrecht’s Aether Ray
A medal used for +2 AAR, now specifically designed for fire AAR builds

While more damage conversion options across more items surely enables new possibilities, it also at the same time affects builds which don’t want damage conversion. Of course, if such builds should not exist because utilizing damage conversion is the only “correct” strategy, then I really have to say this: Do not force players to play the game your way!

I hereby sincerely would like Create to take some time to reflect on this. Thank you.

Completely disagree on this one, i think it’s a fantastic conversion addition. Getting to rank 26 on an Aether Ray build is really easy anyway, so i don’t see much loss from this by making it for fire AAR only.

Although I always welcome more conversion options, and new itemization so far seems fine, I do see OP’s point and really feel so.

nowadays new builds are “enabled” by the mercy of Crate(by adding/updating items) rather than “developed” by players’ innovation and exploration.

just my 2 cents

If you look to star pact getting its conversion you’ll see the actual reason for this change, blocking a build out from using it (blocked aether spellbinder, SB waistguard blocks acid builds)

I disagree. I’ve never used this for AAR bonus or modifiers. This medal is utterly trash and I actually rather go for Badge of Mastery with Maiven’s.

I remember playing a game few years ago (don’t remember its name) that also was kind of ARPG-ish and had conversion to damage (although, there were 4 or 5 damage types only), and the idea of damage conversion was bound to rings and amulets, which was, in my opinion, a super good idea. I do agree that in GD conversion was pretty damn unique in vanilla, then in AoM it was kind of regular and now it’s like air - we’re basically breathing it. I think it could be done way better, for example as the other game I played, put it to jewelry, make skill modifiers instead or something else. Anyway, nothing’s gonna change since it’s already way too much. Changing it would be pointless and maybe even way too confusing for most players.

1 Like

Just play builds which don´t have to care about conversion: Bleeding. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s true we all know nothing’s gonna change.

I think this is an opportunity to expand on the topic OP has raised. Ever since AoM time, gameplay-wise, communication between players and dev has been one-way. Why do I say so? In the feedback forum, in the posts related to specific item/mastery/devotion, seldom we see reply from Mr Z. People hardly know if dev agree or disagree with those feedback until when new patch drops.

The result is that, we players never know dev’s thoughts, intention and vision. What dev think is cool new toy, may not be what we players want. What we players think is fun, may not be fun to dev. When new patch arrives, inevitably frustration/disappointment/resentment raises.

Say, let us consider the following,
To what extent a strong build is considered “too OP” and need to be balanced?

• Is able to facetank all nemesis considered imba?
  • Is <6min 170 crucible considered imba?
  • Is able to beat SR100 considered imba?

We as players may have our own view, but how about dev’s view? No body knows.
That is why everyone is so concerned about nerf hammer. It is same for almost all aspect of gameplay:

• What skills dev considers as imba?
  • What items dev considers as imba?
  • What devotions dev considers as imba?

any of this kind of questions, we as players, will never know. What we can do, after all, is just to adopt and cope.

Among my circle of players(Chinese language players), we have developed a common understanding:

Any uniquely fun and strong build should not be posted onto this official forum.

and I think the reason behind is obvious. Such attitude among players, is it healthy for the game and overall community? I surely don’t think so.

Kek, this is the phase we often use to joke on Blizzard games, which in our community, is almost seen as an insult to game developer.

Well, this might be true sometimes. I might be the other way around at other times.

I had a fairly long “Not-visible-to-community”-Feedback-thread back in old forum. I often wrote something/suggested something for my cup of tea: Bleeding builds.

Guess what?
I never got an answer, but I got positive results. In patches.

I disagree with OP. I mean I could elaborate but I feel the examples given are pretty poor. The more conversion the better. I actually want bleeding to be converted in the future to whatever dot tickles the developers’ fancy.