[Tool] [Updated for v1.2] GDModdingTool: Tool for making personal customized Mods

Hello again :wink:

For the sake of starting clean i’ve deinstalled and redownloaded GD.

Following your steps i first start with the ExtractFile.bat. When running it though it can’t seem to find the database and template files…
But they are in my GD folder…

Any idea why this is happening?

I also need to note that my grim dawn folder is located in my D:// drive.
so maby it has a problem with the cd command? As windows likes to think EVERYTHING is in the C drive and D doesn’t exist -.-

So now i seem to have hit a wall sooner then the first attemt i tried :S

Edit: Did it manualy with the asset manager, will update if the rest works.

Edit2: After making my new config file and made sure no mistakes where made the following happens when executing the moddingTool:

Error during execution
Error while scanning files

The Error log sais the following:

WARNING: Error while scanning files
ERROR: recursive_directory_iterator::recursive_directory_iterator: The system cannot find the path specified.

: “D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\database\creatures”
ERROR: Error occurred while scanning files

i think your program has the directory wrong, should be Database\records\creatures no?

Thanks for trying again!

You are right about D drive thing. I didn’t think of it since mine has only one drive. I should fix that. For the error, what path did you put in config.txt? It should be path to “records” folder, not to “database” folder, like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\database\records

This is counterintuitive as the path is not same with where you extracted but the subfolder created there. I should think of something for this too.

AH! yes i did make a mistake in the config for the pathing forgot to add records, will update as i go.

Another note to add, in your example confic files in the CONFIG_ALL you mention that the pathing to my mod directory (in this case the ‘test’ mod i created with the assetmanager) the following:

Directory where changed files should be put. If you created a new mod, use database\records subdirectory of it

the records subdirectory does not exist for me.
note i only made the mod not compiled it yet as that’s the last step yes?

Edit: The mod tool is doing it’s work right now. So far so good, i hope it doesn’t just close itself like before :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit2: HURAAAAAYYY it finnished :slight_smile: will now try to complile and see if the changes are applied!! (logs seem ok, only commands are shown, no errors)

Great to hear! For the mod directory, that explanation is old. Both base folder and records folder works fine. You can also give records folder like it exists, tool should create all the required folders.
I have plans to improve user experience, especially setting up folders/files. I am sorry that you had some problems but I is gonna help me make something better :smiley:

Everything works as intended!

Take your time mate, you’re doing us a great service!

Could I just ask, if I wanted to use this tool to modify the values for the base game instead of creating a mod with it, how would I go about doing it?

1. Make a copy of database.arz file in <game path>\database folder. If you have expansions, make a copy of their databases too. One is named GDX1.arz, located in <game path>\gdx1\database and the other is GDX2.arz, located in <game path>\gdx2\database.
  2. Use tool as usual to make a mod until the last step, compiling.
  3. Now copy all the files in <extracted folder>\records folder into <mod path>\database\records folder and do not override them when prompted.
  4. Now compile database as explained in wiki.
  5. Finally you need to replace this new .arz file that can be found in <mod path>\database folder with game’s original database. If you have expansions, replace the one in expansion folder with bigger number (the file you made copy of at step 1). If you don’t have any expansion, simply replace game’s database that you have made copy of at step 1. Be sure name is same.

This should work in theory but I didn’t test it. And this way doesn’t include additional mods like stasher! For them you would need to do similar things for other compiled stuff like quests.

It works great, thanks!

This tool seems great. I’m having an issue modifying grimarillion though. I’m trying to add the higher loot chance and level cap / xp gain to it. I have the original game files extracted as well as the grimarillion files. I point the modding tool first to the original files, and then the optional grimarillion directory (I think this is how it goes) Everything seems to work fine up until the very end, I’m getting this error
WARNING: Error while pre-parsing in thread 15
ERROR: Unknown file type in Level Table
ERROR: Error occurred while pre-parsing files

I’ve tried only pointing to the grimarillion directory, same error. Any insight on this would be great

That means there is a type of loot file I missed to add. Normally this situation can be ignored and program would still produce usable result but during development I kept error to find all types. Should have logged it as error instead. Thanks for pointing out, I will check grimarillion files to see which type it is as soon as I can.

@azakhi

“So feel free to request options.”

You could add invisibility, so monsters can ignore player.

I saw that option in one of the trainers, so I think it’s doable.

Also, thanks for the tool. :slight_smile:

@sodyaler

I have updated tool. Could you download the latest version of it and try again to see if it works this time? Also in Grimarillion I ve tested, there are some files referenced in others but doesn’t exist. I guess game doesn’t care about those, so I just logged them.

@Cygi

Some trainers use different methods to alter games, like modifying game memory. So everything a trainer can do may not be available through modding but I ll look into it :slight_smile:

It created all the records no problem this time, although there were some errors in the log about a few items, most likely custom items. Not sure how your program handles custom items. Here’s the log. Now I just have to build it and see how it goes. I do have one question though. If I point your program to the original extracted files, and point the additional records to the grimarillion files, which takes precedent? Does your program use the files from the mod I’m trying to customize to my liking, or does it use the original files? I’m just wondering if I should say no to overwriting the files when I transfer the grimarillion mod files back into the mod directory to build it. Also here’s the error’d items ERROR: Loot file is not found
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_necklace_c01gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_necklace_c01gq.dbr
ERROR: Loot file is not found
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_necklace_d01gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_necklace_d01gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_ring_c01_gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_ring_c01gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_ring_d01_gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_ring_d01_gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_ring_d01_gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_ring_d02_gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_staff2h_fire.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/weapons/tdyn_staff2h_lightning.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_staff2h_frost.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/weapons/tdyn_staff2h_fire.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_sword1h.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/weapons/tdyn_sword1h_a07.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_caster1h_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_caster1h_c01.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_caster1h_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_caster1h_c01b.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_caster1h_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_caster1h_d01.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_focus_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_focus_c01.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_focus_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_focus_c01b.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_focus_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_focus_d01.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_shield_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_shield_c01.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_shield_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_shield_c01b.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_shield_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_shield_d01.dbr

Sorry for the wall of text, I was expecting the spoiler tag to have the “expand text” option

Yeah those are the files I mentioned being missing. The mod itself doesn’t have those files even though they are referenced in some files. The tool wise nothing to worry about. Game wise, if it worked before it should work again.

The Details tag is what you want:

Wall-o-Text

Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_necklace_c01gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_necklace_c01gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_necklace_d01gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_necklace_d01gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_ring_c01_gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_ring_c01gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_ring_d01_gq.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/gearaccessories/tdyn_ring_d02_gq.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_staff2h_fire.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/weapons/tdyn_staff2h_lightning.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_staff2h_frost.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/weapons/tdyn_staff2h_fire.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\gq_loottables\mastertables\leveltables\lt_sword1h.dbr
File: records/items/loottables/weapons/tdyn_sword1h_a07.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_caster1h_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_caster1h_c01b.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_caster1h_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_caster1h_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_focus_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_focus_c01b.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_focus_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_focus_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_shield_c01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_shield_c01b.dbr
Level Table: D:\Downloads\Grim dawn mods\grimarillion_v67\grimarillion\database\records\items\grimquest\loottables\weapons\lt_shield_d01.dbr
File: records/items/grimquest/loottables/weapons/tdyn_shield_d01.dbr

Fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

1. Now copy all the files in “extracted folder”\records folder into “mod path”\database\records folder and do not override them when prompted.
  2. Now compile database as explained in wiki.

Could uh… I get further details on this. Specifically on the mod path\database\records folder as I don’t have a database\records folder in my mods folder directly, only in any mod.

And for step 4 are you talking about compiling as explained in the wiki part of your guide or on the actual Grim Dawn wiki? I can’t find any specific instructions on any Grim Dawn wiki on compiling the database specifically, but have successfully compiled a mod made with your tool easily enough.

My assumption, and what I’ve done and am testing, is to make a mod named database, put the extracted records in there than compile that mod, but that’s just being weird throwing errors and not giving me any actual .arzs… Actually looks like trying to compile a mod named “database” breaks the AssetManagers compiler xD

Suppose you extracted files to C:\Games\GrimDawnFiles, which should look something like this:
And your mods folder located in Grim Dawn’s original folder looks like this:
And as a mod directory ($ModDirectory) you have given this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\MyCustomMod

In this case, after you run the program you need to copy files in C:\Games\GrimDawnFiles to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\MyCustomMod\database

What is being done here is basically merging mod and the base game. Compilation of a mod explained here: https://github.com/azakhi/GDModdingTool/wiki#compiling-your-mod

Actually looks like trying to compile a mod named “database” breaks the AssetManagers compiler xD

Might be. You can give it any name. Just change the name to database after the compilation.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh that makes a lot more sense to me that way, thank you!