Understanding DoT in this game

I am making a dual-wielding Pistol Inquisitor / Arcane with all 3 Elemental Rounds.

Something doesn’t add up. My damage is relatively low.

Arcane’s toggle Overload supposes to give me one of the 3 elementals dot. I have a feeling that this game doesn’t allow different types of DoT to stack? My dual pistol shoots twice but when I test against dummy, I only see one Element DoT going on.

Do Frostburn and Electrocute from my Rounds OVERWRITE the weaker DoT from Overload passive? Or vice verse, does the weaker DoT overwrite the stronger one if I apply the same type of DoT again?

Or the DoT from Overload adds on top of DoT from Chilling nad Storm Rounds?

DoT’s stack. DoT’s can end up being very powerful.

Overload gives your weapon dmg skills and auto attacks a chance to do frostburn or burn or electrocute. If you’re attacking very fast it’s pretty easy to get all three up at once.

They do not stack with themselves though.

AKA if frostburn comes off of Overload via an auto attack, and then your next attack also does frostburn from Overload, they will not stack. It will simply refresh the duration.

DoTs from different sources stack. So if I have one skill that has x burn dmg and another skill that has x burn dmg they will work together.

Chilling Rounds does weapon dmg and frostburn, so they should be added together. Same for Storm Rounds.

Share your build via grimtools? It’s worth noting that afaik elemental dmg does not help elemental DoTs. Just like how fire dmg doesn’t help burn. % Burn dmg helps burn.

And if I know right - different wps counts as different source of DoT even if it (DoT) exists only on the weapon.

My understanding was that where multiple procs using %wpn damage are concerned:

-only the highest %wpn dot is used at any particular time. % wpn is considered the same source.

(of a similar type. %wps in skill damage type conversions would be considered a different type)

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51898

So that means Nidalla’s Hidden hand stacks, but Merciless Repertoire doesn’t?

Also if one had elemental -> something, would overload still stack the damage?

Finally, and here’s the bonus question. DOTs tick every second. If you apply them in between ticks are they carried over to the next tick interval, or is the tick you are seeing just an average of the DOT at that moment?

Oh +Elemental damage DOES NOT increase Burn damage? It has to be +Burn damage eh??!!! Doh. I didn’t know that. Bummer.

Ok. If I get Frostburn from Chilling Rounds first and then Overload proc another Frostburn, does it refresh the strong Chilling Rounds or Overload starts its own Frostburn dot? That’s my main concern because I don’t want Overload to mess up with my Chilling and Storm rounds.

How do link my character on Grimtool?

And also, in your opinion, if my goal is to proc those Rounds, is Arcane a good pair? I feel like I should have chosen Nightblade for more attack speed or Soldier. lol

Overload starts it’s own dot which will stack with Chilling Rounds.

Rest assured they will stack and not mess with each other.

in grimtool build calculator there are some buttons in the top left corner. First one allows you to load your character from a save file, second one creates link which you can copy and paste here.

Cheers