Unique bosses 100% resistant to freeze & slow

Diablo 3 tried that, and it’s pretty awful. There’s no reasonable way to make that visually clear, so you’ve no idea how resistant they currently are, or when that drops off. Also, you’d need to gain res to all CCs, or people could just swap to another CC while the first was being resisted.

You can’t freeze boss by Flash freeze that’s enough to tell you OFF isn’t worth to invest too many points in.
Cannot freezing boss isn’t mean it ruins your build. If you try and search for items you’ll have more ideas to do.

Freezing is the only disable CC in the game that can apply to boss. There’re many spellbreaker build in this section

Shard of Asterkarn(Weapon) and Night’s Embrace(Amulet) have ability to reduce freeze resistance. Those can make crazy perma-freeze combo. The new patch 1.0.0.8 is clear enough to explain that crate still want GD to be a single player and hard enough to challenge people. So it is reasonable to stay boss as dangerous and don’t get wreck easily by simple things.

PS. These are information about boss resistance http://grimdawn.gamepedia.com/Hero/Boss_Resistances

OFF is not designed to be used against bosses anyway. I have a fire spellbreaker with 22/12 OFF and it’s great against literally all mobs and heroes, so it’s normal I have to find something else against bosses.

If I were a dev I would decrease the freeze and slow time of bosses to balance things out but i don’t like it if mobs are completely immune against parts of skills…

Actually if you look at how stupidly easy they become after being under CC effect then you almost feel like not playing freeze builds

You can literally delete stuff from existence while they’re under freeze (provided you know how to make builds)

So it’s perfectly fine that Nemeses are more of a DPS : Survivability test of builds

Bosses would become trivially easy if they weren’t immune to CC effects, especially since many CC effects are far more spammable than OFF.

Here’s how easy bosses are when they can be frozen: https://youtu.be/qXJVSlcO4oQ

Actually the debuff to resistances is what makes it very much worth investing in, since it debuff’s fire resistance very nicely.

I agree and understand your point. If Ragox can find something else properly he wouldn’t make this thread.

Debuff to fire resistance will only apply when enemies get freeze.

If not for the build like KoalaeiO. I assume he’s convert cold->fire dmg from warpfire and make use of it in an exact way, OFF is worth only for effective radius.
Spellbreakers have better choice from ring of steel -> ring of frost.

Honestly, from my spellbreaker build. I felt it’s cheating to freeze bosses from the amulet (-50% freeze resistance) while other disable CC like stun/entrapment/petrify/slow cannot. Freezing is only thing can disable against bosses and nemesis .

If one would complain about CC, I’d suggest Stun/petrify/entrapment to get some items to reduce one of these resistance as freeze get it. For reduce slow resistance, I think range build should get it.

Disabling most CC elements on bosses because of potential balance issues, to me, doesn’t sound like a good game mechanic.

You can improve on the balance, if enough testing and work is done in that regard. You might not be ably to achieve the perfect one, but I think coming close to a reasonably good one is doable.

In my opinion, this mechanic won’t change, not in any future patches nor in the expansion. The only hope of seeing these things improved would be next full installment (Grim Dawn 2?)

As for giving suggestions how to improve it:

I wish they implemented mechanic where attributes determine certain cc conditions.

750 spirit will allow you to break freeze resistance on immune monsters, but duration will still be limited
Increasing spirit will add a multiplier to freeze duration

So a Battlemage with 800 and Warlock with 1500 spirit both with Flash freeze skill will be able to freeze Flesh husks, but while battlemage will only be able to do it for a second, Warlock will do it for 3.

Physique will determine duration of stun resistance, cunning will boost life leech or life steal.

In terms of main bosses and nemesis, perhaps adding a fallback to lesser CC effect.

Nemesis, bosses can’t be frozen, however while your freeze skill did not work, you apply next lower CC effect. So instead of Freezing you will be slowing and applying all debufs that come with the skill.

At the very least, OFF should apply debuff, damage, and TRY to freeze. It doesn’t make much sense that the entire skill only functions if ONE part of it functions, IMO. Because of that I never use it at all, I see no value in investing a DPS boost that doesn’t work on things that I actually need that DPS on.

It’s called Crowd control for a reason. :cool:

…He has a point, technically. Hard to argue with that.

With that in mind though…Is OFF ONLY ever going to be good for crowds? Or is there an intention/thought/chance that someday, the RR might apply to everything that gets hit, frozen or not?

Currently I never use the skill because of that…Just want to know if I should watch for that to change, or just forever ignore the existence of the skill in all patch notes.

1. That amulet and that dagger are REALLY work wonders…

2. I think the fact that the rr is bound to the freeze is the reason it is so high; if it ever would work regardless off freeze then it’d most likely be toned down heavily cuz (up to) 125 RELIABLE rr on a single skill is just obscene.

OK, I don’t feel cheat by freezing bosses anymore lol :wink:

I am glad you guys fixed it. Frankly i found it pretty idiotic that i was able to freeze an ice giant. Rashalga, thematically it works but Moosilauke, i ask -Why?

I thought it applied on skill being triggered and causing damage, not freezing them. So got a citation by any chance for that?

Olexra quickly put her studies to practical use, developing a technique to flash freeze enemies who made it within striking distance.

Then the text should specify that is only works on weaker enemies. Too much stuff is trial and error in your game, I can understand your reasoning behind disabling CC to some degree (even though I still think it’s poor game design, a time reduction would balance this perfectly), but it’s just so confusing to the average player who relies solely on the information given in your game.

Honestly I think skills like OFF need to have 2 effects applied to the target so that even if the mob is immune to the CC you can at least get the damage/resistance debuff out of it. As it stands now I honestly feel like it’s a trash skill only.

Some might say the fire/phys resist is to strong but honestly that’s just number tweaking to bring it in line… I would gladly sacrifice some of the debuff potential to allow it to affect bosses and elites. It’s just useless vs them now and only really useful as a trash clear mechanic.

it would be ideal imo. the possibility to freezelock bosses was an aberation but having diminushing returns would be perfect. so you could stun/freeze them for 0.5s, or instead of 50% slow you get 25%, something like that.

As much as I hate my first post to be a pedantic argument, I felt that this needs to be said.

Crowd can also mean ‘to move too close to’. Given that CC is a term used in MOBAs where such effects often target only a single entity, I believe that this dual meaning is why it is used there. Perhaps a better definition would be to say that Crowd Control is a type of effect used to limit the actions of one’s opponent(s).

That said, I don’t believe that CC effects should work versus upper-tier mobs at full effect as that leads to rofl-facestomping them. Not working at all on the other hand leads to the analytic simplification that if they don’t work when you’d most want them to they’re best ignored until all other options have been exhausted.

As for actual desired change, I’d be happy to see either downgraded or shortened effect applied to bosses as opposed to nothing occurring.