Update broke community translation

Not sure they will be now that Crate are doing the language localisations themselves. No longer community ones for the game.

Because of this update, I lost all my work. Almost 1.5 months of work. Why remove this feature? This feature was working, and fans could make localizations and share them with the community. Moreover, it didn’t cost the developers anything. This update is disappointing.

Anyone who participated in the unofficial translation of the game can say that they lost their job (some did it for years) but this initiative was voluntary and no one forced anyone to do it.

Years later we got the official translation and Zantai has already thanked everyone who participated in translating the game into other languages more than once. Why should you continue to waste your time when professional translators have already done it for you?

I think it’s wrong to add a feature to the game, tell everyone about it, and then just remove it for no reason… Why would you hire professional translators if the fans did it? Yes, there were some translations that were abandoned. If users need the translation that was abandoned, then hire a translator. Some languages could have been added as official translations, but why remove the translation function from the community?

Could be for QA (quality assurance) - in theory, developer-made localization should contain less typos and translation mistakes. Then again, I just tried to switch GD to Czech for the first time and after quickly going through stuff like item descriptions, skills, journal, factions, I’m really glad I speak English so I don’t have to ruin my experience with Czech translation :sweat_smile: The journal entries read like something written by ChatGPT 3.5, many term translations are too long so they don’t fit into boxes (faction names and statuses) or they just make item descriptions even bigger wall of texts. Not to mention the font with Czech diacritics is much harder to read (looks cramped and blurry) and some of the translations sound really weird/funny…

I don’t really blame Crate - I know Czech is a difficult language to implement properly (and we’re also a small market so it doesn’t probably make sense financially to invest a lot into the translation), but it’s a definite no from me (then again, I usually prefer original language in all media - even with movies/series - subtitles FTW!).

Frankly, I think it would actually make more sense at least for “niche” languages like Czech to leave them up to community, as dedicated fans could probably do a better job than what seems to be a “professional” yet rushed effort.

We gave community translators months heads up about needing to do this.

1 Like

I mean, apart from some tags translated specifically for v1.2, what you are seeing was translated by the community. Which, as it was community managed, was largely out of our hands. At the same time, we appreciate anyone that worked on those back in the day because it meant Grim Dawn was available in Czech in the first place.

If there are egregious game-breaking issues, feel free to report them and we can have them re-translated though.

1 Like

I see. Well, I admit some of specific GD terminology is kinda tricky to translate in a clear and brief fashion into a rather complex language that is Czech… And like I said, I’m probably not the right person for playtesting/debugging the translation since I’d stick with English even if the translation was perfect anyway (playing games has always been a great way of learning English for me). Was just curious about the current state of it since the topic came up… But I probably have higher standards than most for this kind of thing so I don’t really think the translation is game-breaking. Certainly immersion-breaking though, to me anyway… :sweat_smile:

There is no function to download localization. Screenshot from the game.
It is impossible to make a translation without checking it.

Also, I had previously added a folder and fonts for my language. Now, when I add it to the Localization folder, it does not show that it is installed.

Also, I didn’t see any information about the changed strings in the translation. community_english.zip for version 1.2.0.0.

All the text is in the game data now and can be extracted just like any of the other game files for modding purposes.

1 Like

Adding it officially is expensive, but it should be good. For example, there is no translation from my language. I’m working on it, but after the update I can’t check my translation anymore. It’s not added as a new language.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. The languages we currently have are the ones we plan to officially support going forward.

It should be possible to swap out things such as fonts and text of existing translations though to effectively play the game in another language.

1 Like

Is it possible to at least return the function of adding your own language? No need to upload to your server. Just to be able to add your language to the list of languages as before. Why do users need to replace an existing language if everything worked fine before? This is a very strange decision…

You can use “\settings” folder to replace one of translation and continue work without need to pack translation files.

That’s not the question. Previously, you could add your own language. Now this feature has been removed and left only official languages. Why remove something that worked great? It’s good if they officially added languages, but other languages disappeared. Why replace and violate the official language if you could add your own? Is it possible to return the function of adding your own language without violating the official languages?

You already “violate” one of languages if it not in list of supported languages/font sets when translate game. So “That’s not the question” too.

How can a language be violated if there was a separate language that was not even on the list? I customized the font, but the translation was from English… My translation did not replace any language…

This feature was in the game and allowed to make these translations. There is even a localization guide. Why are you writing this?

That mean it “violate” English

The language did not replace English! The translation was from English! Do you understand the difference between replacing files in another language and a separate language?

You said you made your own localization to your own language.
You said you made own font set for your language.
Since you need new font set, mean game have not native support for your language font set.
But if you use custom font set, it replace one of existed sets, hence use one of existed language. You personally spell it “Violating language”.

Conclusion: You can’t explain what you doing with localization or you don’t want accept alternative solution.