Upgraded to Win 10 and problems with GD. Please try this before posting

Before you get your hopes up, I’m not claiming this will fix any and every problem. This basically ensures that the additional Microsoft software Grim Dawn uses to run is installed and correctly configured.

Inside your Grim Dawn install folder, default location:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn

there is a folder called _CommonRedist and inside that are 3 folders which contain various installation / set up files.

*note it’s best to right click each install/setup file and select “Run as Administrator” when/if given the option 1) DirectX contains a folder “Jun2010” with a list of files. Find and run DXSETUP.exe

1. DotNet contains a folder “4.0 Client Profile” and inside is 3 files. Run dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe

2. vcredist contains 2 folders “2010” and “2012” each folder contains 3 files. Run both vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe from both folders. Select either “install” or “repair” from each of the 4 installs.
    If none of this works, then try running the Repair.exe from your main Grim Dawn folder.

I will stick this for now. Remind me to unstick it when windows 10 is over. :smiley:

Thanks Jaknet.

What specific problems does this solve?

Does it fix the blank screen GD, and most other Steam games, give me when launching a game?

Honestly…I’ve no idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Basic theory is it solves any problems when upgrading to Win 10, that are caused by these programs not being updated when win 10 updates.

I did this after seeing the thread about someone having problems because they were missing part of the vcredist install and the replies were on about searching the web to get various updates etc, and it just seemed daft to go through all that when all the required software installers are already in the GD folder waiting to be used.

Plus it’s one less set of software for the devs to have to ask about with people in this situation.

Have you tried updating the software that Steam normally runs on the first play of a game as I suspect this could be the main cause of Steam games not starting correctly…and that thought has just occurred to me while answering this… so good question

Thanks for posting, Jaknet. Good stuff to keep in mind in case I ever need to up/downgrade.

What software? I know when I run GD for the first time, it downloads some VC+ runtime distr stuff, but that’s it.

With GD I’m guessing the latest DX, the 4 x VC and the Dotnet, as that’s what Crate provide for additional installers. As for other games I’m not sure, but I’ve seen steam running up to 5 installs before starting some games for the first time.

One other thing about the DX that some people don’t understand is they go online and download the latest version of DX and think that’s all they need for every game going. The problem is, afaik, DX is constantly changing and the DX “libraries” for want of the correct word are constantly changing as well and some games require the specific libraries they were developed with and not just the latest versions going… Well this is what I believe, hopefully someone with the correct info can confirm or deny this last bit.

Just had a thought about this. As it’s most Steam games it might, only might, be an idea to delete Steam (without deleting all your games) re-install Steam and then when you start any of your games Steam will run all the first time pre-required bits of software because it’s a fresh install of Steam even though you haven’t uninstalled/re-installed the games.

Cannot remember how technically minded you are so sorry it’s overly obvious.

If you have any games installed with Steam and not in separate libraries on other drives then move/(copy to be safe and delete after safe move) the folder (default location)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

to somewhere outside the steam folder. Un-install Steam, restart PC…always seems a good idea ish, Install Steam, sign in, probably get the email to verify with Steam as it usually seems to think it’s a new PC :rolleyes:. Exit Steam and move/copy the \common folder back, restart Steam and if you had any other Library folders add them back to Steam and all your games will be back and ready to play with Steam running the initial setup for each when you start them.

That’s way too much work for me. lol I’ve already done around 6 clean installs of Windows 10 trying to solve another issue. Each time I had to re-install Steam and games.

It’s no really worth the effort for an older laptop that’s not really a gaming laptop.

My main focus now is to determine why, after a certain point of my re-installs, Win10 keeps making my monitor flicker on and off. Can’t even log in. I know it happens after I install Steam, but I’m not sure if it’s before or after I install games, or when I run a game and Steam downloads other crap.

If I can get it to the point of running my developer tools and virtual machines, I’ll be happy. :slight_smile:

Have you tried unchecking run steam when my computer start.

There is also, sign into friends, and notifications. You see if turning off, broadcasting, in game overlay and streaming helps.

There is also the directwrite option.

Rolled back to windows 7 after having issues with windows 10. Fps seems low to me when I was running windows 10 :eek:

Same here. I liked Windows 7 better anyway.

Or maybe the developers could fix this problem???

Yes, contact Microsoft and see if they can fix the issue.