Uroborruk's Reaping - Reaping Arc Discussion

It may be. I was giving a general idea though, it’s not like Zantai’s taking notes from MY posts =) Anyway, like someone mentioned before, it’s just a granted skill that shouldn’t perform better than a fully supported mastery skill, especially not when the relic itself provides pretty good stats. And please don’t forget it strikes in 270 arc and up to 9 enemies, which is pretty dope already.

It’s meant to supplement the build, which it will even with lower WD% on builds you don’t have a spammable skill anyway.

But yeah, 140% WD might be a bit harsh. 160% sounds more reasonable.

Also can kinda agree on Petrify res being somewhat out of place on Rhowan’s Scepter. A selection of physical items already have more than enough of it (Soldier MI belt, Titan shoulders, Earthshatter boots - just from the top of my head).

1 Like

Here is my problem with the new arc. First of all 245% WD is obviously too high, and how could it go through after years of intricate balance testing is beyond me. This relic obsoletes 99% of 2H melee builds in the game and 90% of DW builds. So it will be nerfed. And everyone who made a build with it will feel bad. Again.

On the flip side. I’ve made an aether arc yesterday and tbh it feels almost exactly how a powerful 2H melee build should feel like. 200% WD would’ve been optimal just based on the feeling of it.

My suggestion would be not to nerf the skill into the ground right away. Rather really look into all other 2H melee options presented in the game. The vast majority of possible 2H melee builds, even with innate synergy, don’t hold any ground against casters, retal, pets, ranged and DW.

One relic dominates the whole playstyle and obsoletes several skills and items: in this case it indacates that the whole playstyle deserves a pass. Markovian, Reaping Strike, Burning Void need 2H animation sped up drastically, same for Necrotic Edge. Burning Void needs double the chance to proc for 2H. Smite and Markovian should get wider arcs with higher ranks(possible?), more aggressive WD scaling at a cost of additional flat and more ranks on different items with flat or AS. Some generic items should get exclusive WPS as granted skills, like Scourge is a good candidate for that - replace its skill with vit analogue of Zolhan’s Technique.

Right now there is zero incentive to play 2H melee over any of the two arcs. Dmg output is lower, risk is higher due to leech dips.

6 Likes

Obviously Zantai’s mind control is wearing off, hence why Praetorians are testing less and less.

How much do devotion or gear procs realistically make up an auto-attackers damage when compared to their main spammable skill though? And again, you have your entire selection of equipment, masteries and devotion - building defense should be less of a concern for a Reaping Arc spammer than a Blade Arc spammer as they have more freedom in what they can use.

20-40k weapon damage, 245% weapon damage, 3-4 times per second. Seriously do the math, it doesn’t matter if you have WPS or not. The damage potential for a relic skill is absurd, everyone else here is predicting it won’t stay as is except you because they understand at face value how ridiculous this is.

Of course. Damage conversion plays a massive role in it. But it’s far too late to go back on those conversions now as so many builds utilise them.

I’m not focusing on class combos at all. I think it’s a fine idea for Defilers and Apostates to have another option but not if too strong for it’s cost. You can tone Reaping Arc down to acceptable levels and still have it be decent, and if that isn’t enough, damage numbers can be tuned elsewhere for such a build.

Now i do rightfully feel like a hypocrite for being in the same position as you in older patches arguing for tests to be ran on something first. And I do agree that we do need specific numbers to tell how far it needs to be adjusted.

However, the bottom line is it should be a massive indicator that an item-granted skill being comparable in power to a fully invested, skill modified mastery skill needs looking at.

This same conversation arguing for the strength of item-granted skills vs mastery skills came up a year or 2 ago with the Seals (e.g. Stormfire, Chain Lightning, Biting Blades) and I argued back then that they should be just strong enough to supplement mastery skills (generally cooldown-based nukers), not equalise or replace them in DPS output, especially in cases where someone has taken several skill bonuses to a mastery skill.

Just one basic question, since I cannot test it atm: That 245% WD (i assume, the screenshot is from GT) - is it Main hand only, or Off hand also?

Only Main Hand.

2 Likes

It should be nerfed, definitely, but I hope it remains spammable, and they tone the damage down.

Havent test it yet but I think it’s quite nice to have a granted skill from relic as main skill dmg (the first is Oblivion relic). It’s only strong with 2handed melee and conversions though, so I think it may need a decent nerf.

Woah, stop. I hate how everyone is calling for nerfs, and no one has actually tried to make a build and post results. This is your typical knee-jerk reaction that Z always loves. Personally, I think this is exactly what necro needed, a strong AA-like skill.

Lets do a more in-depth comparison. BA has innately 50% (!) crit that everyone glossed over, how convenient (MOAR with transmuter). RA has none, and necro only has a small source of temporary crit. Furthermore, BA is obviously affected by gear modifiers. Most BA builds will run Grasp of Unchained Might for the % wep dmg. And there’s obviously more gear that benefits BA, like bloodrager, etc. And oh look, this Celestial Halberd adds 35% crit. Thats 85% crit right there on maybe 225% wep damage WITH great conversion. But sure, let’s all ignore the gear.

I’m not saying every BA build uses these specific items, but decent ones probably use some gear with skill modifiers like extra flat dmg and so on. RA has none of that. This argument is akin to wanting nerfs on all seal components because devs tried to add some cool extra skills for any class. Get a grip, don’t nerf RA, please and thanks :grinning:

EDIT: The reason I mentioned crit too was because soldier has Oleron’s rage (14% OA at 12/12) and field command for moar OA. Context is everything.

2 Likes
1 Like

I love how this reply specifically called out people for not actually posting builds but then also doesn’t post a build for his comparison. Smh.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RVvDj3pN > change head to krieg cause that’s what I had before I stopped playing earlier.

It only felt a bit worse than @grey-maybe blade arc dk. And full krieg isn’t even the best of the reaping arc build. I reckon it’ll be better with ele>phys conversion.

3 Likes

If anyone still isn’t convinced that this is getting nerfed, then look at chillspikes and biting blades. If a non mastery skill that isn’t a full set bonus carries a build by itself, it’ll get nerfed.

1 Like

I knew someone would say this. “This thread has no builds but your post doesn’t either so your opinion doesn’t matter”. It’s pretty funny.

To the couple builds I saw for RA, it looks like its in a decent place. No sub 2min Crucible or whatever ridiculous metric you use. If RA can at least be close to BA, then that’s a good balance I think. If it gets nerfed to the point where you’ll always go for BA instead, that’s bad = the skill doesn’t have a reason to exist.

But that’s a fair statement. If you wanna call out someone for doing something you see as wrong then don’t do the same thing as them or you’ll look dumb.

Then you haven’t seen how the game has been balanced up to this point. These skills are meant to be supportive skills, fillers or whatever you wanna call them. There were precedents of them nerfing item skills that aren’t even as strong as Reaping Arc. I don’t see why this wouldn’t be nerfed.

2 Likes

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Besides, it’s much easier to show proof of something needing nerfs/buffs than it is to show proof of something not needing a nerf/buff

1 Like

I don’t disagree. However, the claim goes for both sides, meaning both sides need to present proof. And while your second statement is also true, that doesn’t mean you’re exempt from presenting proof if you’re on the “no changes” side.

This conversation is silly so I’ll stop with this last post. If you want me to make an RA build, I can do that and run crucible but I’m a bad pilot so it’ll be somewhere like 10min, which proves nothing. You’ll accuse me of intentionally playing bad to skew results. If I make a BA build, same thing. This is what @Snazzblaster was referring to.

The better way to approach this if you think RA is too strong, show your results. I want to see RA outperform BA builds like you think it does. My opinion is, BA is still better: we know that from forum builds made by veterans. RA should also be decent to even compare, and it looks fine to me now. Read: It’s not OP. You’re welcome to prove me wrong.

I get the feeling that Oppressor with converted RA is going to be completely busted. Double phys RR, complete disregard of armor, and you get the fat crit from divine mandate on top of it.

2 Likes

Aren’t you the one who’s accusing me of anything here? I haven’t even seen you results yet. I know the difference between a good and a bad pilot and that’s not even the topic here.

Oh don’t worry. One build was already posted. The next few days will have more builds posted too. And it’s not just me working on it.

1 Like

Binders are just the beginning. Wait until you see the first Deathknights, Witchblades and Warlords with 100% physical conversion. You only need 3 Items and a component for that.
A spamable skill with 245% WD and it ignores armor. Enemies have low phys res.
It’s easy to reach 40k WD.

5 Likes