Voice Acting

Do they have any plans of finishing voice acting for all those mute characters, as well as characters who have voice-over for one part of conversation, but not for the rest?
In this state the game feels like it’s in an alpha version.

I suspect the main problem is cost of “good” voice actors and finding the time to spare someone that’s already busy to sort it all out.

It was just the main story line and the main characters invovled. Even then, those npc’s don’t speak all of their dialogue. Cost was a big factor in how much Crate was able to get voice acting for the npcs.

See:
- Grim Dawn gets Animated Trailer and VO!
-And

Anyone know Ulgrim’s and Creed’s voice actor? They did an awesome job

So did Captain Somer’s

There’s no info on the usual sites that have VA listed, (behindthevoice + imdb) maybe in the credits? shrug

As for voiceovers in the game, it’s unnecessary at this point. The problem is A) Crate was an extremely indie company with an extremely low budget. B) voice acting is very expensive, depending on the quality of the actor/actress it can cost hundreds of dollars per word or hundreds per session(which are only about half an hour to an hour in length)… this ties in with point A, low budget game, voices were cut because it wasn’t integral to the gameplay.

I don’t think they need superhumans to do narrations, nor like Hollywood stars. Why not get some random people, as if it’s that important. There were so many excellent, very good, good, average, below average voice actors in games before, in games now, and will be in games to come. But the only thing that’s worse than a bad voice actor is the current voice acting state in Grim Dawn - unfinished vocal dialogues, and some characters without narration at all. Those npcs are pretty much common people, so in accordance to that Crate could “hire” even their own family members if you ask me.

I disagree, bad voice acting can kill a game.

There’s even more to voice acting than just voice acting - sound equipment, sound levels, i.e. technical issues that can make or break the soundscape.

I doubt random people will have the equipment or skill to pull it off consistently.

Pretty much this

I don’t like Douglas Oldbarrow’s voice in Homestead and i just kinda mute for a sec or simply do a speed run of the entire Homestead Trials

I’m pretty sure you never gave up on a pc game just because of its bad voice acting.

Just like you won’t give up on GD for no voice acting :wink:

Meh, after your first play-through you’ll click through the dialogue so fast it will sound like zombie moans anyway.

Doesn’t change the fact that you said bad voice acting can kill the game. Yet that has never happened for you. I never said current state of voice acting will kill this game for me, but it feels like an alpha version, which it does.

But it doesn’t.

There are plenty of well known games with no voice acting at all. Your point is moot.

No, it’s just you are too much tolerant Crate fanboy, and that’s ok, because those guys deserve all respect they can get. But don’t try to sell me your point of view.