What are the advantages of playing a spellcaster in Grim Dawn

Actually its not useless but does require defensive setup to be able to farm end game content and just cant compete with melee or casters or even 2h ranged in any way.

Ergo, useless :slight_smile:

Same goes for every build out there.

Not that I care but pretty much same goes for SS spamming BM

I wouldn’t deem something useless just if something else can do something better.
In that regard I could easily call almost all builds useless just cuz they cant compete with DW BM in any case :wink:

I myself am absolutely terrified by the idea for one simple reason: The blinks that already are in game (yes, blinks are supported by the engine!) feel terrible to use and I can’t even put my finger on why that is.

1. Absolutely true, all you have to do is lure the boss to the gate then portal out and walk back, it just gets so much easier with teleport, as i have done it :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Again true, but you can still skip a lot of bosses and just ignore the quests themselves with teleport. I’ve done that as well.

3. For the most part yes but, if a new player got teleport then said “ohh hey I’m gonna try to get over here” and then ended up getting their toon f*ed up, i’m sure there would be complaints. But yeah, i’ve gone to east marsh without even going into act two, so i know it’s possible. Also i’m always for having an on screen warning that there is a boss at a higher level than you, especially when you’re new.

Like i said i’m all for teleport, but after using the skill its so easy to skip, like everything or get stuck in a really dumb spot :eek:

Sheesh, dude, it’s a turn of phrase…pedantic much? :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, everything is useless compared to BM ^^

Well, yes, but facetanking a boss with a squishy caster build is decidedly different from facetanking a boss with a tanky melee build.

Make a tanky caster than, its not nearly impossible.

Crate specifically nerfed CT sorcs/warlocks in 1.0.0.7 HF1. It’s almost like they want to make sure that casters always remain squishy.

From the CT sorc thread:

Actually any of those nerf is not hitting only CT sorcs/warlocks, direct nerf would be if they would nerf CT skill.
Phys dmg cadence WBs and DM pierce blademasters/DM spelbreakers got more direct and harder nerf in 1.0.0.7 (ie. cof, nights chill, cadence line, DM set, break morale,…) and you dont hear any of them complaining.

And I will state one more time: casters aren’t squishy they just lack some dps/energy regen.

If ONE tool works, only ONE, that’s all you need. My running speed is around 120% (can’t recall the exact figure now) and I don’t need to facetank any boss. Never. Not one. This applies to all my casters.

I am starting to believe that you are building yours all around DPS, overlooking the rest of the stats, and then complaining about lacking them. Like I said regarding constellations. If you don’t want to use any defensive one, then don’t, but don’t complain about lacking defence. It was your choice.

You cant outrun Iron maiden. Zantarian will Tp to you no mater how fast you run.

CT itself isn’t a particular strong DPS ability though. CT just happens to have a %WPS component that allows casters to access ADCTH like melee builds, so the vast majority of the casters soloing Gladiator (not that there were many) were using CT builds. Since CT itself wasn’t overpowered, Crate instead nerfed caster survivability: casters (not melee) typically rely on Aldanar’s Vanity, Fateweaver’s Leggings, and the healing devotions for survivability, because melee builds don’t need those with their far higher ADCTH.

I agree with Kaska that we all should be forced to choose among defensive devotions to enhance survivability, but melee builds rarely need to do this because of how easy and effective ADCTH is. Trash is fine, but bosses should resist ADCTH far more effectively to force melee builds to make more tradeoffs for additional sustain. It’s perfectly fine for casters who are already making these difficult tradeoffs if melee builds need to be doing so as well.

1. Again plz explain me how those nerfs are affecting only CT casters?
  2. CT is not only skill that have weapon component in it and when it comes to ADCTH it falls largely behind PB.
  3. Casters typically do not relay on Aldanar’s Vanity or Fateweaver’s Leggings some maybe but not all.
  4. Not even one of my melee build have stronger ADCTH than any PB caster.
  5. With nerfed healing devotions I managed to make DEE caster using dreeg set, not tanky iskandra, that can facetank any nemesis, can mitingate Fabius dmg with only HP regen. And far more, can withstand Fabius hitting it for more than minute just to finally manage to proc its MoD with lucky crit. If that is not tanky enough I dont know what is.
  6. Melee build to deal dmg have to hit from melee range and thus be hitted back, casters dont. If you take even now mediocre ADCTH from weapon dmg out of picture to make things even you should make all spels work only on melee range, w/o any possibility od ADCTH and that would be stupid.

Really I dont understand you guys wining about casters being squishy, try playing with ranged dw pistols build and you will see what is squishy and what king of tradeofs those builds need to make to maintain survivalbility.
When I read what some of you write I just cant resist feeling that you would like to rain chaos and destruction 24/7 with devastation or smth, obliterating whole screen in less than second and be more tanky than build with shield in same time.

And because two mobs out of the whole game with a low chance of droppping a MI item that may suit you are a bit harder than the rest, you want to rebalance 3 different classes and all their combinations.

Because melee players have no difficulty whatsoever with any mob in the whole game, right?

Let me remind you this, I am a caster player. And I honestly think casters are not in such a disadvantage. For every “limitation” people are complaining about I am showing you alternatives.

I guess complaining in the forums and hoping for a non needed boost is easier than figuring out solutions and workarounds.

1. You can.
  2. Valdaran not Zantarin, but dont run far away and he wont.

P.S. Try to kill Zantarin with melee build and see how many times you will be one shoted if you are not careful enough.

Casters in Grim Dawn are getting better in many ways IMO.

Each update version of the game, there’ll be new builds or buffed old set a lot until you can play them in different from old builds.

They may not be absolutely strong like most melee, but they also very good and versatile. Their performance are very close to melee and always fun.

The worst of all is a range build(Pistol, 2H ranged). It need a lot of buff and revise many gears. There’re only few effective builds. There’re many range items but most of them are just trash when compared to melee and don’t fit to a build.

Caster itself squishy, but can be tanky by auras,devotion,specific items. Some like Witch hunter dreeg spammers are squishy.

PS. IMO, I want the better solution for caster than “Just make some kiting” or “just facetank it if you can’t run”. I wanna see caster goes like avatar form, flying and can cast spells when they’re moving or have more safe zone/space to casting spells.

If it’s Valdaran, he is, in my opinion, the easiest nemesis to kill as a caster. Now, the Maiden IS a real pain as a caster. But, cmon, it’s ONE boss in the whole game! And she doesn’t even drop anything really good for casters anyway, just so-so, so not much point in farming her.

The difference between elite and ultimate is like the difference between Diablo and Dark Souls. I have yet to find a reliable ult/glad farming build that isnt melee.