What books are you reading?

Right. Finished The Death of the Necromancer, just as fluffing good as when I first read it and now Martha Wells is on my list of good authors. Also polished off a novella from her called All Systems Red - The Murderbot Diaries.

Current re-reading The Rhesus Factor by Charles Stross to as part of reacquaint myself with Bob’s character in preparation for The Delirium Brief’s release next month. Of which advanced reader copies are already out in the wild, making me all like ;-; when ever I see them. Want It Naow damn it.

Oh and I probably should re-read Equoid: http://www.tor.com/2013/09/24/equoid/
A lovely squicky, creepy bit of Stross’s Laundry-verse involving unicorns and (a fictionalised) Lovecroft himself. You’ll never look at the bloody unicorns the same way after reading it.

Just finished the Red Rising series…damn, what an amazing ride that was. Definitely in my Top 5 of “Best book series I’ve ever read”.

Braaaaaaaaains.

Got hooked on The Rhesus Factor by Charles Stross last night and didn’t stop reading until 4am-ish when I finished it. Then started on The Annihilation Score by the same author, because why the fluff not? Cue more reading inertia and a nearly 6 am crash.

The current read continues on from the fallout of TRF, though this time with a new narrator, Bob’s spouse Mo, who’s also dealing with the marriage fun that comes from your spouse becoming The Eater of Souls and what happens when her violin wants to murder him. And features an outbreak of superheroes due to Case Nightmare Green* side effects, Boris Johnson getting stripped naked by a supervillain, a blood sucking, bone white violin made out of human bone that Mo’s weapon (the sound it makes is literally to die for) named Lector, Officer Friendly and the police organisation he and Mo create to manage the superhero issue and the “fun” that results. All while trying to deal with a supervillain pulling off crimes that make no sense, including the heist of a music piece based on The King In Yellow…

It’s a fluffing awesome read basically.

*Aka end of the world, aka the Outer Gods eat our brains, and it’s all because there’s to many thinking monkey’s combined with the Solar System entering a part of the void where reality is naturally thin. Described also as the “Lovecroftian Singularity” due to how it’s caused by increased computer density. Side effects include increased ease of doing magic, outbreaks of K-Syndrome (aka magic induced Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease), cults worshipping inhuman monsters from outside space and time, zombie outbreaks with the zombies having eyes full of green-glowing worms that you really don’t want to get in skin contact with, etc etc. Like basilisks which don’t turn you to stone, rather they transmute carbon into silicon due to the presence of a certain neural network, resulting in massive heat and ionising radiation being released.

Listened to Robogenesis (sequel to Robopocolypse) and remembering what I can of the first book I probably enjoy that one more. World War Z more then both I would think, too bad that book was made into a terrible knock off of a movie.

Also read The Shock of Night and it’s sequel, Shattered Vigil by Carr, Patrick W. - enjoyed both.

Currently reading World War Z.

Really great book, i know the Movie is awful although i haven’t seen it. The Honest Trailer was enough :>

Chewed through The Annihilation Score by Charles Stross during insomnia-happy-fun-time last night, due to forgetting to take both my meds.

Following it up with an earlier book in the series, The Apocalypse Codex, in which Bob Howard, Trainee Eater of Souls, faces the horror that is American fundies crossed with lovecroftian special sauce who really, really want to “save” you soul. Also features tongue and soul eating isopods, undead and sleeping alien horror and paperclip jokes.

Personally I vote that this thread be stickied, I do think that this is thread serves a similar purpose to the Music thread in this section
I am not into books myself having never read anything outside the prescribed textbooks though

I am really looking forward to the new book from Dan Brown later this year.

I have been reading a couple of books from Steve Berry. On my 5th book. But only just he Cotton Malone series. I like the historical things in it.

Devoured The Delirium Brief yesterday in about 6hrs, fluffing brilliant read. Though you need to have read some of the previous books, starting from The Apocalypse Codex, to fully appreciate the character and plot arcs and get the full dose of the various “What. The. Fuck?!” plot twists Stross drops.

There’s also hyper-castrating, dong/uterus eating, segmented parasites involved, that connect hosts to their master, because tongue eating ones are just so last year (they still make a reappearance though), stupid, stupid Tory politicians who think privatising the agency that guards the UK from the scum of the multiverse is a good idea and the mess that follows that particular decision. Which results in the Laundry’s Management (aka it’s high powered sorcerers etc) having other ideas and going independent. Although the Prime Minister is doomed no matter what they do to have his dong eaten and made part of a certain ancient alien evil encountered in The Apocalypse Codex.

Downside - it ends on a semi-cliff-hanger and the next books not out till 2019, since Stross has a space opera (Ghost Engine) pencilled in, plus the sequel to the most excellent Dark State as well.

I like “the expanse” series <3

I like the Urban Fantasy Storyline of Ben Aaronovitch.

Due to the fact we wont be seeing a sequel to Charles Stross’ book The Delirium Brief for a while, I’ve started on Aaronovitch’s books. Liking the little I’ve read of the first book :stuck_out_tongue:

Mortal Engines by Phillip Reeve

Just finished reading The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, trippy book. Moving onto the Reamde by Neal Stephenson next…

Ate through Ben Aaronovitch’s River’s of London, presently reading through the 2nd book in the series and enjoying them both thoroughly.

Just need to get out of the habit of reading books until the early hours of the morn, because it’s not good for me functioning the following day :stuck_out_tongue:

The Continental Op, by Dashiell Hammett. AKA old-timey detective short stories ~

and really outdated street lingo

I have started reading The Amber Room by Steve Berry. After a few more books i am going to try the books by James Rollins, the Sigma Force Novels.
I mostly read books in my own language.

Warhammer 40K lore books (Horus Heresy for example)

Eaten:

Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (english version). Damn fine horror novel, hooked me completely and had to stay up all night reading it.

Europe in Autumn by Dave Hutchinson + on to the rest of the Fractured Europe series. Very enjoyable, basically a sci-fi spy novel set in 2050’s Europe where the EU has collapsed and it’s former members have suffered a severe infection of microstates and then slides into parallel worlds weirdness without missing a beat. Onto the second book now, and would have devoured it all last night if the half a sleeping pill I took hadn’t worked to make me super sleepy.

Also read Acadie by the same author, a short 56 page sci-fi short story that works really well.

Still need to stop reading after 1am, even if I have insomnia. Stupid brain.

CJ Cherryh, Downbelow Station.
I had first read her Fortress series many years ago and recently decided to catch up on her older works.