What class is fun in HC Veteran?

Hello people.
Just got back into the game and though I’d give the Dirvish a try and wow is the Nightblade hard to play in Veteran. I think I’ll have to put that one hold until I have some twink gear.

I find Forcewave really boring and already played a Shaman. What else works for Veteran difficulty?

Thanks!

Same stuff works for hardcore as it does softcore as far is veteran goes :stuck_out_tongue: Play what you have fun with

I just started up a character that I was thinking of turning into a cold vire’s might dervish using Alkamos’ sword. Leveling with vire’s might as an oathkeeper, with greater fireblast slotted as backup, is pretty smooth. Just entering act 3 now, and while the game feels a little harder than before, it isn’t brutal. The main thing is to ignore the base vire’s might skill and max volcanic stride and tectonic shift. The fire trail deals massive damage with good AoE, and you can get the cooldown low enough to be tolerable.

I’m not positive, but I think leveling was always pretty rough for nightblades. They have to grow into their skills, none of them are super strong right out the gate. Possibly the strategy would be to max night’s chill and spam (greater) ice spike? Blade burst’s frostburn destroys things early, too, but falls off pretty fast, if I recall.

I leveled a pierce blademaster and I really didn’t find it to be too bad. Just make sure your defenses are priority and get familiar with all your targets before your shadow strike in the middle of mobs.

I’m sure it goes without saying but don’t be afraid to use any and all components to beef up your resists. I spend more time playing with gear in vet than elite.

Veteran is now the difficulty where you go for the cheesiest stuff possible. Forcewave, transmuted BWC + Canister, transmuted DEE, ABB + RoS, OFF + Greater Fireblast + Devastation, ranged PS, RoH, RE, maybe Vire for OK but I prefer to level with max GoE then EoR.

Thanks guys!

I’m off to a pretty good start with the EoR + Volcanic Stride + GoE. It’s a fun though very HP pot intensive until I get Giant’s Blood.

Veteran HC can be fun with every class combo. I’ve leveled at least 50 toons in the last few years, though most of them either got deleted or RIPed eventually. EoR is very easy and smooth till early ultimate, when you really need endgame gear to be efficient. All options suggested by Stupid_Dragon are viable as well. Can even level as immortal commando with 1.5k passive regeneration at level 40.

Im running through HC Veteran as a Warder- Sandor Clegane. Having a great time with it!

It’s good up to level 60-70. Then you will have rely on good gear heavily.

To be completely honest, ive been running a classless character in HC- got a whole story going about it in another thread. The character is based on NPC lore from in-game sources- Margaret, the wife of Francis (dude whose corpse gives you Francis’ Gun and a lore note mentioning Margaret). Shes designed to be weak but grows more powerful by the day. As she is classless, i feel her death ought to come swift, ending her story before its grown into anything too spectacular…

Why im mentioning this is because HC is what you make it! Its a unique modification of the gaming experience that brings a sense of permanence, struggle, and unparalelled accomplishment. Each fight could be your last, and when you have a running story thats in-depth with hours invested both brainstorming plots and grinding for levels/quests, the experience really sucks you into the game.

Its the most fun I have ever had in this game so far and i have 40 characters, ive put over 1,000 hours into the game. No other experience in the game can quite compare to the ones im having fighting through HC as a classless build with a deep and involved story behind it.

1 Like

That sounds like fun. How far did you get? I can see it as a great challenge run. Back in my days of Diablo 3 glory, we used to run White or broken items only, or start in HC torment 6 and see how far you get. This is definitely something to try. Running classless with no other restriction, seems possible to me. You just have to make a good use of components, relics, potions and items. Once you reach level 30 or so, many options become available. I believe it’s possible to beat the game on veteran/elite and maybe even ultimate classless. I wanna do it! Count me in!

1 Like

No, this would be too easy if you use devotions. It has to be more difficult. With just devotions and greens I can make an immortal classless character by level 35. Too easy. How about no devotions and no blue/purple items?

1 Like

@Contragor See this thread

Devotions are allowed, for me at least. This is to provide flavor and to bring Lore/story elements to life. This isnt so much of a challenge as it is more of a different way to experience the game. The idea was not mine, it originated from a thread that @MikeHeydon started, going classless is only half the experience, the other half coming from the story of your character who should be designed after NPC lore in the game. This characters story unfolds as their journey carries them through the world of Cairn.

Margaret is level 25, about to confront the warden. By nature, her character is weak and squishy, however just recently she has discovered that Francis’ spirit has become bound in her shoulder in a budding Aetherial growth. This has gifted her with the ability to shoot out Aether Tendrils (Aethersteel bolts), engulf enemies in Aetherfire (Devotion ability), and hurl fireballs (Greater Fireblast). Her damage output is decent but shes just squishy as hell, the warden is going to be a real challenge… Might be her story ends there. We’ll see.

1 Like

@Contragor come and join me on GD Oylmpus. I’m still the only person (at least that I’m aware of) with recorded evidence of completing the HC path of perseverance. If you can do it with even more difficult restrictions you can be the new Zeus.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted.
*proceeds to his basement, opens an old chest and retrieves a century old sword, covered in dust and spider webs… unsheathes the blade and carefully examines it… mutters to himself “guess it’s time. Butt kicking for goodness once more. Jump on my sword while you can, evil… I won’t be as gentle!”

1 Like

Yeah you guys have the right idea!!! Cant believe I waited this long to delve into alternative experiences playing differently like this, and in HC where its all the more unforgiving, and thus, all the more rewarding and meaningful. I shall look your experiences, and “in times of doubt, I shall keep faith”.

1 Like