What the heck happened to my game?

I am not reporting this as a bug since I do not know how to reproduce it but I would appreciate some help with recovery or, at least, making certain that it doesn’t happen again.

A couple days ago I bought the Loyalty Pack 2 item pack via Steam. The storefront message stated that my DLC would begin shortly but nothing got underway so, later that night, I ran the game to see.

My character selection was really old. Like, maybe from the first (of hundreds) of hours of play. And a dialogue warning popped up saying that cloud saves had been enabled. I disabled cloud saves and restarted the game.

There are no characters anywhere. Not in the campaign menu, not in custom games, not anywhere. Nor is anything in the shared stash for new characters. There are no explored maps, all the stylish illusions are missing. It’s a total wipe.

Pardon my frustration, but how the almighty F does this happen and how do I prevent it?

Oh… and if one were forced to start from scratch, any suggestions?

See here. Big help and it’s fairly simple to get it sorted out.

1 Like

I appreciate that, Foehammer. However, I was already aware of where my save files were and already had cloud saving disabled. It is the complete wipe of my save files after purchasing the DLC that is so frustrating. Why would it have enabled cloud saves again, and why would that result in such a wipe?

1 Like

That is indeed weird! So it deleted your files after installing the DLC? I’m not sure what is going on here. Perhaps if you have a backup of your game you can restore it in Steam?

The save files were wiped just from BUYING the DLC. I don’t know if anything was ever actually installed. Where do I find the new items? Well, I will look into that separately.

gonna go out on a limb and say your saves weren’t deleted, and specially not by the game/buying loyalist pack
couple of things i can think of
first being you didn’t really have cloud save off before maybe, only in steam, not in game, which wouldn’t be the first time to happen
another being that Onedrive hijacked your local saves
then the weird thing where the game disables expansion, so you might have played without ex forgotten gods activated so game reverted/used old backedup pre expansion saves
maybe steam cloud overwrote your saves, tho should have gotten a prompt for that, and would ofc have required steam cloud was never off in game as in point 1

i would manually browse your system for your characters, and see if they appear
double check grim dawn “settings” in your steam library, make sure all launch commands and DLC enabling are as they should be

The loyalist items are sold by the knight (I really don’t know how else to discribe him) between the merchant you rescue from The Foggy Bank early in the game and the guy who opens the gate to Devil’s Crossing.

^This. I highly doubt they were actually wiped. Navigate to the root of your C drive and then perform a search for one of your character’s names.

1 Like