What's a more effective weapon build?

Dual-wield or sword and board?

dual-wield, offensively.
S&B defensively - only if you take it to the extreme.

So all told dual-wield would be better unless I put real work into my toon?

I wish guns were better in this game.

What do you mean by “effective?”

All weapon styles can be very effective in this game. Dual-wield, S&B, guns - all of them.

1 Like

Well, if I’m getting zerged, would sponging damage help, or doing damage?

a shield doesn’t sponge dmg if you don’t focus in shield defensive stats
and even then you usually have way more effective means at your disposal for a non shield skill oriented build

a good defence is a strong offence very much apply to GD, kill things before they kill you - then mitigate the dmg incoming in the usual manner and add sustain on top so you heal up easily from any dmg taken

Either, depending on how you built your build. Some builds go for all-out, glass-cannon offense. Some go for a more balanced approach, with more attention to defense. I would recommend having at least some damage in your build either way, but like I said, both are viable strategies.

But it also depends heavily on what game mode you’re talking about. Are you speedrunning Crucible? Then all-out offense is the way to go, to chase those timers. Are you delving into deep SR? Then I definitely recommend sending in a character with some defense.

Just the main campaign? Literally anything goes, especially if you’re playing softcore.

Right now s&b is overall better but you’re locked in oathkeeper and physical dmg. For a variety of options dw is better. But ironically not necessarily for damage.

Usually, damage and heals with enough hp and other defensive cushions to survive possible dmg spikes. You gotta kill them fast in gd. The main danger is stacking debuffs.

I assume this explanation of shields is still applicable:

1 Like