Wishful Thinking

So while im waiting for the huge content update I found an oldie but goodie game. Now called RoR (Return of Reckoning) and free to play, Ive been reliving some good times in my favorite ever mmo.

The wishful part is this:

Do you remember the Tome of Knowledge? It keeps track of everything in the game, from set items to locations, lore, everything. One of the best ideas in any game I’ve played.

Nothing appears in the Tome until you encounter it which I also like, it’s just a great game feature.

Oh that Crate could do something like this, it would be icing on the cake.

Just awsome

Still dreaming

Imagine keeping track of everything in Grim Dawn with a feature like this.

OK back to reality now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Have a lot of that sort of thing in the game already with the quests done and not done yet, shrines found, lore notes. And I dread to think how keeping track of eveything I’ve got in GDStash would work ingame. :rofl:

Plus the game doesn’t hold your hand for things like locations. That’s a deliberate design choice by the devs.

This doesn’t hand hold, just keeps track of things, like a journal. When you first start the game the Journal is empty, only adds things you have discovered.

Same as the journal in GD does.

I think a record keeper or bestiary would be a great idea but I’m doubtful it’s something Crate will implement this far into development. This is a feature that I think would be more feasible to add in a sequel.

Yeah, it would be amazing if this game had a better journal system with more info on locations and monsters… I always enjoy reading bestiary entries, each time I kill a new monster on games with a bestiary category.

This… has nothing to do with hand holding, because it’s intended to add more background information of all the things and events that happens in a game’s world, while also keeping it more organized and easy to access. It’s a nice QoL feature that also makes those games more interesting.

If you’re gonna be condescending towards someone’s idea, then at least do it in a way that makes sense.

The lore notes do that and are in your journal to read any time you want. A bestiary, hm, can’t say it would be something I’d want myself. If you mean something like background info on locations like Old Arkovia, again not something I care about particularly. Might be ideas for a GD2 if the devs decide to make it one day, but GD1 is too far along in it’s life for something like these to be added now I would guess.

Absolutely. I know it’s a design decision to keep the player in the dark somewhat. But info like gt item, monster and pet databases could be accessible in game and complete themselves as you encounter stuff. Like a journal.

1 Like

enemy journal? neat idea though kinda lame when you have too many similar and reskinned monsters in almost every encounter :joy:

I’d love to see an in-game bestiary. Could be a new entry in the main menu.

I absolutely love the way Titan Quest did it, similar to Doom 2’s ending screen.

The original TQ ending was even better with the Rock of Mages song playing while the credits rolled.

I wish GD had an epic ending like that. It’s one of the very few things that I don’t like about GD, the lack of a proper credits screen after killing the final boss. Every game has one, why not GD?

Maybe because the devs gave you the option to choose to view the credits or not. You can play them if you want to.

sure, but it is anticlimactic when absolutely nothing happens after you killed the last boss and turned in the last quest. Which I kinda understand since the game goes on after all that, but the lack of a real ending screen was always a bit disappointing to me. GD does almost everything better than TQ, here it’s the other way round.

So yeah a bestiary in the credits screen similar to TQ would be awesome. Just move the rolling text to the side and let the monsters spawn on the middle platform where the player usually stands.

And then display this screen once you turn in the final quest (for killing Theodin if you don’t have FG, and for killing Log if you don’t have AoM). :slight_smile:

Wishful thinking :smile:

Reminds me of LOTRO (Lord of the Rings online). Played it for 6 years.

final fantasy xii has very detailed bestiary. although lots of the monsters encountered in that game has many reskinned version, each reskin has their own lores which makes each of them kinda unique despite them being just reskinned clones.