To me the random map is the worst thing about this game

The one thing that will probably keep me from playing this game is that the random map isn’t easier. I love what a random map can look like, but: 1. It takes way to many retries before I find the perfect match. 2. It’s rated red, so not all resources are always available.

I play games to relax, so I play in pacifist mode. I’m not interested in fighting, neither beast nor man, I just want to build a village in a beautiful landscape, where everything is readily available, and sadly, the starting map type is way, way, way too boring.

The Random Map type isn’t meant to be easier, in fact it can be more difficult. It can use elements from all biomes but doesn’t guarantee that you’ll get everything you need. Are you using this map type because Idyllic Valley is too ‘boring’, as you said?

When rolling a new map did you realise the area you can see to place your Town Center is only a very, very small portion of the overall map? You’ll more than likely have all the resources you need if you explore.

If all else fails, trading for resources you do not have is not difficult and certainly something a village would have had to do to survive.

2 Likes

As I wrote, it’s probably the main reason why I might not play the game. I’m not asking about what it is or what not, I know that, I just say, that I don’t like what it is.

Then don’t choose random, simple as that. If you want easy with most, not all resources, then choose the Idyllic Valley map. Or if you find that too “boring” then try the Lowland Lakes one. None of the maps will have all resources on them, they’re not designed to.

Choosing random means you get a map and then try and make it work regardless, that’s the whole idea and yes, it can be done.

1 Like

Why are you quarreling with me? I just said that that’s a thing that might lead to me not playing the game.

I’m not quarrelling, just pointing out that there is an easy map with most resources on it to play.

Also have you tried playing the Idyllic map, but on a harder difficulty? You can still choose the Pacifist option with any of the difficulties so if Pioneer Idyllic is too boring for you then try it with Trailblazer or Vanquisher difficulty instead.

I suggested to add preview map while starting new map Preview generated map

2 Likes

Im not sure whether previewing the map would be a good idea, since part of the experience of this game is to explore the map itself. Doing so would invalid this feature.

As a workaround id suggest a graphic-like screen where you can preview what youll find on this map and the amounts. Just so you could have an idea of how your play is gonna be.

To the OP: You know that all the map-types are randomly generated, right? Idyllic valley is not a “set” map? Random map just means random map TYPE… so there is no real benefit to choosing that as you will get a random difficulty map. Choose the map type you enjoy and gives you the required level of difficulty, and get a random map of that type :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what he expects from “random map” (and it’s kind of what I expected too) is a map with all the possible biomes and not restricted to a single one (as in the lower right corner is arid, the lower left is mountains, the upper left is lakes, and so on).

For what I’ve seen using random map or arid map give pretty much the same results.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.