0.7.5f VERY frequent crash to black

Hey team - loving the game!

I am currently experiencing very frequent crash to black during play. It can be at any time, without warning and often happens within 5 minutes of beginning playing. The game does NOT crash (i.e. no crashlogs) and the PC continues running in the background (Don’t worry, I’ve worked in tech for 25yrs so am able to determine these things :smiley: ) but the screen goes to black - presumably a bad call to the drivers or some such. I’m on Windows 11 - up to date and I have ensured I have the latest Nvidia drivers for my GPU. My PC is used for both work and play for some 16hrs a day and is not currently experiencing any other issues, either hardware or software related. Plenty of resources and great temperatures.

I am playing with essentially everything maxxed out in the options (screenshot attached) 12900K, 3080Ti, 32GB RAM, 4k120

DxDiag attached as requested.

DxDiag.txt (107.6 KB)

(edited for typos)
(edit2 for additional info below)

NB - I have also tried running it in Windowed Mode but the crash still causes the whole OS to go black and is unrecoverable except via a hard reset.

One additional observation is that if I leave it alone, it doesn’t seem to bomb to black on its own. It seems that it is only when I am interacting with the game with actual inputs that it will die.

Hope this is helpful :slight_smile:

We’ve tested the game in Win11 with an Nvidia GPU, so that probably rules out the OS.

Did you do a clean installation of the latest drivers when you last updated them? Have you tried adjusting the video settings at all? Ex. capping refesh rate and toggling off vsync? We are seeing some instances of vsync/refresh rate that causes cards to work harder than they should be and I wonder if that may also be the case here.

1 Like

You have probably checked and this isn’t the issue, but have you tried hitting X I think it is, to re-center your screen on the town? I have found I get the “black screen” when my mouse hits the screen edge and it scrolls the game way off into undiscovered country.

Thank you for the updates, both. Kwoung, good shout that, but this happens instantly when I have my hand on the controls and I can’t even alt-tab or use the windows key to get back to windows.

Zantai, I did a fresh install of the drives on the previous lot, but not the most recent ones. I did try turning off VSync and setting the refresh manually to 119Hz yesterday but without any success.

I will monitor again now the new patch has dropped and see if anything else comes to light :slight_smile:

I actually have the same problem but I was able to see the error before it went away. If it helps, and I’m not entirely sure it makes sense as I’m trying to recreate it…

Pioneer setting on all, wanted to see Idylic Valley and when I select Large map everything loads like normal, then I get a (Vir_alloc (something)) Error. Hope that little bit helps. I tried to SS it but was black and sent back to my Steam page before I could.

Thanks for your input Bishop :slight_smile: Not sure it’s the same error since this is just a hard click to black - it’s an instant ceasing of image output to the screen. The PC (and possibly even the game (?) since there’s no crashlog) continue to run but what feels like a bad driver call just kills the GPU output.

It’s still happening on 0.7.5f and only seems to happen when I’m actually interacting with the game -i.e. if left alone it will just run. This probably means a new draw command or something from a human input is asking the GPU to do something it can’t cope with.

Whilst I haven’t had black screens on any other games or apps on this rig since it was built earlier this year, I did some research online around possible known issues with the 3080 Ti, Windows 11, G-Sync, HDR … all the bells and whistles. The only problems I could find were related to Display Port and I’m using HDMI so it’s likely to be something specific to my setup and this game directly. Sooooo I’m going to have a play around with some of the graphics settings to see if I can find a pattern or a single setting that is causing these black screens. I don’t mind putting some time in since this is gonna be a great game and I wanna support devs in this space :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a bunch more stuff and still experiencing the same smash to black problem.

Ran a full driver cleaner & reinstalled latest WHQL drivers
Turned off HDR and VRR
Turned off ALL the graphics settings in-game and set to minimum where off not an option

Still getting the same problem :cry:

I will try some logging to see if I can find anything else useful, but without an actual game crashlog or anything to go by, it’s proving rather difficult to troubleshoot this.

Not sure if it’s relevant, but I’ve found some kind of log file with what looks like Unity messages in it:

Internal: JobTempAlloc has allocations that are more than 4 frames old - this is not allowed and likely a leak
This appears a dozen or so times at the beginning of the log
Followed by a whole bunch of these:
[WARNING] Property (_InstanceBlend) exceeds previous array size (94 vs 73). Cap to previous size. Restart Unity to recreate the arrays.
Then there’s a few of these thrown in the middle:
[ERROR] Profiler is not supported in this build
And a bunch more of these:
[WARNING] Property (_InstanceBlend) exceeds previous array size (56 vs 43). Cap to previous size. Restart Unity to recreate the arrays.

The log ends mid sentence, presumably when the crash happens:
[WARNING] Property (_InstanceBlend) exceeds previous array size (59 vs 44). Cap to previous

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Oh crap I actually found a crashlog - BTW it is not where you say it is in the “Reporting Farthest Frontier Bugs” thread :wink:

I found it here after searching the entire C: drive for the word “crash” :smiley:
C:\Users<myname>\AppData\Local\Temp\Crate Entertainment\Farthest Frontier\Crashes\Crash_2022-08-30_170014639

Anyh00 - how do I upload the crash.dmp file to you? The error file is empty so that’s not much use but is the dump file valuable? This forum doesn’t allow the attaching of a .dmp file but I suppose a .zip might work
crash.zip (27.3 KB)

(NB - curiously enough, there are only 6 .dmp files in the folder but I have suffered hundreds of crashes so not sure there’s a direct correlation)

OK making some progress here :smiley:

Found the following in an older crashlog with information in the error and player text files:

[ line 2137975192]

d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005]
Failed to find a valid fullscreen resolution for exclusiveFullscreen 3840x2160 failed, trying without exclusive fullscreen mode
D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (3840 x 2160 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x887a0005

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (3840 x 2160 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x887a0005

Crash!!!

That’s very consistent with what I’m observing inasmuch as it looks like something’s causing a driver crash which the instantly cascades into the whole thing filling its pants.errors.zip (48.9 KB)

Another one from the same driver version:

[ line 1823535080]

Profiler is not supported in this build
d__83:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

[ line 1823535608]

d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 0 size 5808) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 0 size 1200) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 0 size 5808) [0x887A0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x2 mode 0 size 1200) [0x887A0005]
D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (3840 x 2160 fmt 27 aa 1), error 0x887a0005

Failed to find a valid fullscreen resolution for exclusiveFullscreen 3840x2160 failed, trying without exclusive fullscreen mode

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (3840 x 2160 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x887a0005

d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=512 h=512 d3dfmt=28 [887a0005]
Crash!!!

for the devs - hopefully some useful info you can use in here to prevent these kind of driver errors :slight_smile:

I have the same issue :cry:

It happens when I run my game for 5 minutes or so.

• Screen goes black (monitor goed to standby)
  • I can still hear game sounds
  • I can still hear my spotify play
  • I need to reboot my pc

My savegame has around 500 population. Had the issue before but not that frequent.
Can’t remember if I had the issue in previous save games

Oh, and my PC fan goes through the roof, goes like crazy when the screen goes to black (not before it went to black)

Feels a shame to have gone out of my way to do all of that research to help the devs only for them to then completely ignore the thread

Looks like I won’t be playing for a while.

This sums it up.

I’m on the same boat.
10 to 15 min and then PC crash
I’ve followed every suposed solution I found on the foruns, nothing worked.
Hope they can solve it quick. The game looks so fun, but I’m afraid this could dmg my rig…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.