[1.0.0.8] Poison Shadow Strike (10s Mad Queen, 26s Dummy Kill time, etc, etc)

Colossal thanks to kidpid for coming up with the build idea, general skill setup, devotion and testing.

1.0.0.9 Update!

Changes:

Shoulders: From Ancient Zantarin’s Shoulderguard of Nature’s Bounty to Elite Devil’s Spaulders with Bladeward Powder
Hands:“Empowered” Shadow’s Grasp to Iceskorn Talons with Outcast’s Warding Powder
Feet: Venomspine Greaves to Consecrated Exalted Treads of Nature’s Bounty with Spellward Powder (look mainly for health on the feet slot)

With the new changes brought by 1.0.0.9, the resistances of the build have improved quite dramatically across the board. This allows us to finally use a pair of gloves instead of the little-wittle baby cuffs we were using before by replacing the Zantarin Shoulderguard with the Devil’s Crossing Shoulderguard. However, this resulted in a loss of hp and resistance (most notably vitality), which is why the boots is changed from Venomspine to a crafted green one. Overall, this resulted in more damage and more efficient resistance capping.

I have also taken this opportunity to post the finalized grim calc setup after testing and gear changes:

http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-Oiuaez (before +skills)
http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-JASvrP (after+skills)
As always, 90 to physique.

Important Note:

I forgot to mention this: while the Rift Scourge Slicer that I am currently using, Venomfang of the Defiler, is the best in slot for this build, not many are going to have access to this exact combination of prefix and suffix. However, the Venomlash is quite close in performance to the Slicer while being a lot easier to acquire, so if you are having trouble finding the Slicer, I highly recommend the Venomlash-Basilisk Claw setup.

Main Thread:

Hello there. You may remember me from the ever-so-slightly controversial Venomblademaster build, and I am here to bring you another build, this time focusing on poison Shadow Strike, instead of Cadence, and on a Witch Hunter instead of a Blademaster. As you may inferred by now, this build uses Shadow Strike as its main source of damage accompanied by a multitude of DoTs, and consequently focuses on maxing the Shadow Strike tree (mostly Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends and the main skill itself). However, getting to max ultimate rank on Shadow Strike without employing the Deathmarked set is quite hard, and therefore may require an otherwise non-optimal gear, more on that in the gear section.

http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-Oiuaez (before +skills)
http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-JASvrP (after+skills)

Bindings: Scorpion to Shadow Strike | Abomination to Blade Spirit | Manticore to ABB or CoF | Chariot to Possession

Equipped Gear:

Head: Cowl of the Venomblade with Leathery Hide + Mankind’s Vigil
Chest: Stealth Jacket of the Venomblade with Hollowed Ground + Outcast’s Elemental Scales
Feet: Venomspines Greaves (yes, really) with Mark of Mogdrogen + Outcast’s Spellward Powder
Amulet: The OAless Eye of Beronath with Focusing Prism + Survivor’s Preserverance
Belt: Spellbreaker’s Waistguard with Dense Fur + Outcast’s Spellward Powder
Badge: Badge of Mastery (+5 Shadowstrike) with Arcane Spark
Weapon: Basilisk’s Claw with Oleron’s Blood + Outcast’s Venom
Weapon: Venomfang Rift Scourge Slicer of the Defiler with Vitriolic Gallstone + Essence of Ch’thon (maybe Outcast’s Venom is better)
Ring: Incorruptible Viloth’s Ring of the Untamed with Corpse dust + Survivor’s Ingenuity
Ring: Incorruptible Cronley’s Signet of Attack with Corpse dust + Survivor’s Ingenuity (I would use 2x of the aforementioned Viloth Ring if I can)
Legs: Stonehide Dreeg-sect Legguards of Menhir’s Wall with Scaled Hide + Outcast’s Elemental Scales
Shoulders: Ancient Zantarin’s Shoulderguard of Nature’s Bounty with Scaled Hide + Outcast’s Warding Powder
Hands: “Empowered” Shadow’s Grasp with Mutated Scales + Outcast’s Warding Powder (Sadly, the need of overcapping Shadow Strike outweighs the need of good gloves. I tried to use “Assassin’s” xxx but the prefix only exists on the slots that are too much to give up)
Relic: Malediction

Edit 1:
BiS Section:

Of the gear I am using, I believe the Weapons, Head, Amulet, Relic, Badge, Chest, Waist, and 1 Ring are Best in Slot.

Incorruptible Viloth of … (or other good pre/suffixes if you do not need the Incorruptible) would be a BiS

This leaves the Shoulder, Legs, and Feet slots open for you to get items that are tailored to your resistance needs, which is why it’s hard to say the exact affix combination for BiS. But Zantarin’s Shoulderguards would be the best MI for that slot with the +3 LA/BoD.

Alternatively, you can leave Shadow Strike at 24/16 and use a good pair of gloves instead, like Venomfang or Iceskorn. With Iceskorn, I do not believe it’s better than reaching ultimate ranks with Shadow Strike, since a lot of its value is diminished with the wasted +2 LA (however, this is likely to be a completely different story if you are not using, say, Zantarin’s Shoulderguards).

(With auras + lethal assault active)

A note for the gear section:

You may think that the amount of greens listed are too high to farm. But equipped gear does not necessarily mean obligatory gear, or even best in slot. The “requirement” is for you to cap Shadow Strike; if you have another setup that gets max ultimate rank, you can use that and tailor your open slots (such as feet and leg slot) to your resistance needs. I have found this setup to be pretty good at both, but again, there is no need to follow this gear setup by the letter. As for the ring slots, the Judiciary Set seems to be pretty good.

This build is very likely to get a significant buff with the upcoming expansion, since it will bring new poison/acid affixes to better support the damage types.

Playstyle

Use Shadow Strike immediately off of cooldown while keeping Lethal Assault, Blood of Dreeg, Pneumatic Burst, Curse of Frailty, and Blade Spirit active. Use Oleron’s Might off of cooldown as well. While the main damage origins from Shadow Strike, the DoTs are pretty influential too: I was reaching 110k, 120k in DoTs, so that’s something worth mentioning

Pros and Cons

• Great single target damage (evident by kill times)
  • Good AoE
  • Reasonable HP and DA
  • Great OA
  • A lot of open gear slots

Side note: You may have wondered how this build compares to Cold SS Spellbreakers. From playing both builds, I can safely say that this build is equally, if not better, than its Spellbreaker equivalent in terms of damage. However, there is one significant advantage over Coldbreakers, defenses: Poison WH SS have a much easier time getting a sufficient amount of hp and resistances than Coldbreakers because of skills such as Blood of Dreeg and more free gear slots.

This build is untested in Crucible, but I am sure it will perform very well if my Coldbreakers are any indication.

• Energy issues (need a steady supply of potions)
  • Low armor
  • Only 198% overcapped on poison/acid resistance
  • I’m using such a bad pair of gloves
  • I’m using such a bad pair of boots

Closing:

This build turned out to be surprisingly good, contrary to original expectations, with the MQ + Dummy kill times (videos coming soonTM). If you do decide to give this build a spin or have any optimization suggestions, be sure to comment below (I am posting this thread not 2 days after its completion).

Colossal thanks to kidpid for coming up with the build idea, general skill setup, devotion and testing.

Still LF Deathmarked sets for rerolls…

Apologies for earlier misclick. Post is up now~

I’m surprised you went with a whole 9 points in Nightfall despite saying that investing so heavily in it was a bad idea and the points are better spent elsewhere. What’s your reasoning for that?

Also, do you find the lack of CDR to be a problem for your SS spam? I presume your limiting factor here is energy, given your con about “energy issues”, however.

Finally, what devotion bindings are you using for abom, scorpion, and manti?

Looks good overall. Hopefully this build guide winds up being a tad less controversial than your last one :stuck_out_tongue:

My original grimcalc (the one posted) invested too heavily into Nightfall. I added the side note there instead of changing the link because it’s a lot of work changing grimcalc links.

The lack of CDR isn’t really a problem. Compared to Coldbreakers with ~2.1 second cooldown on Shadow Strike, this build only have ~0.4 seconds more.

Bindings are included in the post, I think. Regardless, here is the setup I’m using:

Scorpion to Shadow Strike | Abomination to Blade Spirit | Manticore to ABB or CoF | Behemoth to Possession

Nice build and definitely less controversial :slight_smile:

If you dont mind Ill write you some advice, its up to you to read them or not :wink:

1. Lose bristly fur from belt, you are not high on armor, use some component that gives + to armor cuz it will be applied to all gear slots, dense fur could be nice.

2. Think about adding one point in NHH and ACC it will better fill you gape between 2 ss and you will apply more poison dmg for higher dots.

3. Think about trying this devotion route http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-VuUOTo O Lanterns crit dmg is nice and you will have even more OA with Chariots so you will enter higher crit dmg threshold and thus do more dmg. Not to mention you will get some nice energy regen.
    Ofc if you can cap your resistances this way.

4. Maybe its worth trying with icescorn talons‚ you will lose 2 from SS but will gain some flat dmg and 5-6% crit.

Only thing I cant agree is the part about this build doing same amount of single target dmg as cold/frosburn SB, you are lacking some ~4 secs on dummy to catch up with cold/frostburn SB, and CD of SS on SB can easily be 1.7-1.8 secs :wink:

Yeah, I was planning on doing that.

I’ll try that and do some testing.

Looks to be a better devotion route without the near useless eel and vulture. Should be able to cap resistances regardless.

That’s a can of worms I was afraid to open. On one hand, the final ranks of SS is a huge leap, but on the other the epic gloves are very unimpressive. Will do further testing once I get around to and update everything.

Perhaps with some changes it’ll catch up :smiley:

Nice to see you didnt lost your sense of humor.
Anyway i will try to bring some advices aswell:

Expandable Skill points (from my point of view):
2 points from Pneumatic.
2 points from Shadow dance.
8 points from Nightfall.

What i would do with it:
Overcap Merciless repetoire to 16/12. (should be the max you can do)
Overcap Night’s Chill to 13/10.
Consider NHH/ACC even low level.

Regardless looks solid build. :slight_smile:

Nice great to see Acid Strike or Poison Strike or whatever you like to call it getting some love :smiley:

Your second Poison based build, so i assume you’re a disciple of Dreeg?:rolleyes:

P.S

Funny image (That soldier is from which cover art?)

And consider adding to Compendium V

I like all poison builds except the most common and proper DEE WHs :wink:

The image is from a common internet meme . It premiered in a book about Romans and empires.

Yeah, will do

Blasphemer!!

:rolleyes:

Btw, I’d really love a Soiled Trouser build :undecided: (no DiG and DAS cause that’s cheating:rolleyes:)

Updated with another grimcalc (skills + devotion setup) and addressed gearing options.

I really want a Soiled Trouser build as well…

For energy issue you can use Soul Shard instead Corpse Dust.

The energy problems are solvable with elixir of spirits, and so I would like to keep the corpse dust until energy becomes a regular problem. However, this is a valid consideration for those who does not want to chug mana potions with the same intensity I do.

What is ACC? Or do you mean AQC Amarasta’s Quick Cut? :wink:

Would strongly suggest speccing into oklaine’s lantern for energy management

The udpated grimcalc link with the reworked devotions is using Oklaine’s already.

Solid build, may have to try it If I can get the gear

Great build! I have a question tho on the skill build. Why you do not invest a point in nidallas hidden hand? Thanks!

It wasn’t in my original build, but due to suggestions, it is in the updated grim calc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice build, can you update your post with some videos of gameplay? -Thnx