[1.0.0.9] Electric Elementalist - Storms walk with me ... no, wait, they don't

I. Concept

This started as a joke build. I was trying to make a 2h elementalist base on electrocute damage, but it didn’t work out because I never found enough pieces of Ultos. And then when I pour my hard-earned material to craft the badge of mastery, trying for +5 savagery/primal strike, this piece of crap is what I got

So I was like “you want a joke build? you get a joke build”.

This build is a collection of bad skills such as Wind Devil, Storm Totem and Stun Jack (well stun jack is not that bad, but still lower tier) but somehow it works out better than expected. I can even kill Mad Queen and finish Crucible Gladiator wave 120 with it, so I guess it is viable.

It is fun to play with massive AoE like you never seen before. If you like a Trap-type-button-mashing build, this is it.

1. Pros:
  • Solid HP, nearly 10k, can be more if I spec more points into heart of the wild
  • Massive, and I mean MASSIVE AOE. Imagine 30 lightning bolts striking everywhere on screen while 6 elemental storms circling around you and that’s not even the end of it
  • Superb RR. When all the stars aligned, you have up to 103% RR that is multipled by 20% of viper as well (elemental storm + thermite mine + arcane bomb)
  • Fun and fluid game play
  • Damage reflection is non-existent since all of your damage come from traps/summons
  • Relatively easy to gear, weapon is a sure drop, the set is a common-tier-legendary
  • Little energy management
  • Relatively easy to cap resistances, elemental resistances are massively overcapped by default
  • Abundant of skill points. In fact you will be swimming in skill points. I even added 40 demo mastery while using only up to 32 skills (actually I just spec an old char that already have 50/40 mastery :smiley: but the stats and HP are useful)
  1. Cons:
  • Low single target damage/DOT, but still manageable
  • Have some trouble killing fast moving bosses, same as other trap type builds
  • No safety mechanism (no, blast shield won’t keep you alive)

II. Skills and Gears

1. Skills and devotions:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrjLGZ6

Stats: All Physique. You can add some cunning to equip the sword if you don’t intend to use badge of mastery

Devotion bindings:

• Arcane Bomb —> Stun Jacks: Their cooldown match nicely, and I want to control where the bomb land
  • Reckless Tempest --> Thermite Mine: To cheat the cooldown, with mines you can have multiple tempests at the same time (can also bind to Wind Devil)
  • Elemental Storm —> Storm Totem: Again, just to cheat the cooldown. Can also bind to Wind Devil
  • The rest: just bind to any aura

Note the 1 point in Empty Throne, it is important

Why not Grenado?
I have nothing against Grenado, I just can’t press that many buttons (Eye of the storm gives Storm Shard summon and I can’t even use it). If you can manage, feel free to spec a few points into Grenado

1. End game BiS builds:
    http://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrqk1V6
    Only the pants are changed into Thunderstruck Solael-sect Legguards of Kings, that would give a bit more damage and cap out stun resistance. I also spec more points into Oak skin to cap pierce resistance and add another scaled hide for 100% armor absorption.

2. Gears:

Head: Light’s Defender Helm (Sanctified Bone / Outcast’s Warding Powder (Outcasts))
Shoulders: Light’s Defender Epaulets (Silk Swatch / Mankind’s Vigil (Black Legion))
Chest: Light’s Defender Plate (Chains of Oleron / Outcast’s Warding Powder (Outcasts))
Main hand: Stormheart (Amber / Creed’s Cunning)
Offhand: Skybreach Bulwark (Amber / Creed’s Cunning)
Hands: Light’s Defender Gauntlets (Unholy Inscription / Outcast’s Warding Powder (Outcasts))
Waist: Ulzuin’s Torment (Antivenom Salve / Outcast’s Warding Powder (Outcasts))
Legs: Prismatic Solael-Sect Legguards of the Flesh Hulk (Scaled Hide / Outcast’s Warding Powder (Outcasts))
Feet: Stonehide Exalted Treads of Featherstep (Mark of Mogdrogen / Mankind’s Vigil (Black Legion))
Amulet: Heart of Ulzuin (Arcane Spark / Survivor’s Ingenuity (Devil’s Crossing))
Rings: Invoker’s Shocking Touch (Corpse Dust / Survivor’s Ingenuity (Devil’s Crossing))
Rings: Wildpact Emerald (Corpse Dust / Survivor’s Ingenuity (Devil’s Crossing))
Medal: Badge of Mastery (Arcane Spark)
Relic: Eye of the Storm

Click here to view equipment configuration

Key gears are the Heart of Ulzuin and Stormheart, because they give extra duration to electrocute damage. That is rare, and you want that duration for wind devil and stun jack spread.

Also if you are unlucky with resistance roll, you can always replace 1 Creed’s Cunning with Outcast’s Bastion for more resistances

What about Ultos or Ulzuin set?
While they provide more damage for sure, the extra damage is not that much. Light’s Defender set gives you much more resistances and HP. You can still use Ultos or Ulzuin, but then you will need a god roll on ring and pants to cover the lack of resistances

III. Leveling and Combat

I didn’t actually level this char, but I can imagine going with either shaman or elementalist would be rather easy to level.

The combat rotation is very simple:

• Open by casting Thermite mine
  • Cast wind devil and storm totem
  • Cast stun jack (need to aim this only)
  • Run around
  • ???
  • Rinse and repeat till everything dies

IV. Dungeons & Bosses tips
Taken from my previous build thread, nothing changed much. I will add the videos when I have the motivation to go through the dungeons again

Steps of Torment:
You can face tank everything, the death room included. If Alkamos damage is too much, just run around the table

Bastion of Chaos:
The only place that will threaten your life is the gate guardian at the end of Field of Despair, mainly because he has an entourage of Cthonian Bloodletter/Harbinger that take a good chunk of your HP when they die and explode.

As for Shar’Zul, he doesn’t do a lot of damage himself, but his Wind Devils are another story. You cannot kill them, and they deal great amount of damage. Be sure to stay away from the Wind Devils, and Shar’Zul should be a walk in the park

Port Valbury:
You can face tank pretty much everything, including the Flame of Valbury, the 3 watchers and that big bald dude I never remember the name. As for the final 3 bosses, lure Van Aldritch out to the stair and kill him, this way you don’t have to deal with the poison puddles by his 2 henchmen. After that go in and kill those 2. Councilman Garl has an annoying rotation of healing + Maiven so it will take a while to kill him, unless you have high life leech resistance

Mad Queen:
Run around like a little girl until she dies. You don’t have enough direct damage so it takes a while

Nemesis:
Since I didn’t level this char, I don’t have any nemesis found. But I guess you can handle elemental nemesis just fine due to the overcapped resistances. Fabius or Ironmaiden should be easy as well because you run around by default, and don’t suffer from any damage reflection

V. Crucible tips
I always fight in Crucible of the Dead, but that is the worst crucible for this build, no choke holds to trap and flat map.

I use 2 crucible buffs: the HP buff (Empyrion?) and the damage buff (Amatok?), those should be enough for farming wave 100-110, restart at check point then go up to 110 again. You don’t lose tribute this way. If you can’t raise stun resistance, you can use the other stun buff like in the video, that costs more tributes but still manageable

At higher waves 80+, stand at a chokehold and fight there, don’t fight in the open. Example of chokehold:

Example of Crucible wave 100-110 (can’t record higher waves because the drop in FPS would kill me). You can see I can handle everything with ease, no real threats received.

You can safely farm wave 100-110 for items before moving on. I’m not a crucible expert so I never intended to finish wave 150 gladiator.

Nice run with MQ, you was faster then she :smiley:

Why oh why are you not using Raging Tempest? Is it because you are using similiar debuff from Elemental Storm devotion?

But why not Creed’s Cunning?

Totally forgot that exist lol, will fix it. Guess I was pretty high at that time

They don’t stack, elemental storm would cover bigger grounds comparing to the moving wind devils. Also Crown give some extra damage

The only problem with Electrocution is that the range of damage on DoT’s is way too high making RNG a big factor in damage (paraphrasing Drizzto here btw)

Nice build though, it’s good to see people trying. The amulet would’ve been by my choice but I am confused why no Stormreaver, the 2h weapon has high duration and the granted skill storm tap is high amounts of Electrocute?

Also people who are wondering about DoTs should also know that IT builds suffer from lack of improved duration so making “kite and kill” playstyle hard and reducing QoL of the build

I am curious, what’s your highest DoT tick?

The only issue with storm reaver skill is that I cannot press that many buttons :frowning:

I found that electrocute lack the duration bonus. Poison, Burn and Frostburn can go up to 300% duration without even trying, but electrocute, you must be lucky to reach 150%

Also there is a lack of flat electrocute damage sources. While I have 1500% bonus to electrocute and -103% RR, the highest DOT I can see is only around 50k, and that is with 1.6-1.8x crit bonus. That is due to the fact I only have around 1000-1500 flat electrocute source comparing to 3000-3500 flat burn/frostburn/poison source, they can get 100k+ ticks easily

And to add I said this earlier a lot of Electrocute sources have some stupidly high damage ranges “1-75”, “35-90”, these vast ranges make damage output highly dependent on RNG

Is there any confusion on your part on Electrocute and Lightning?? All dots sources always have fixed damage like “over9000 per n seconds”

No they dont, or at least electrocute dont, for instance check values on storm touched and stormcalers pact.

Right, forgot about this. Anyway difference isn’t larger then twice as much.

Giving the nature of dot dmg, large influence of RNG and effect of crit %, its more than enough to produce totally unstable DOTs with huge variations. Iirc when tested it some time ago it was possible for dots to vary ~4x in dmg (like 30k and 120k).

Ah, ok then :smiley:

the title sounds familiar…:stuck_out_tongue:

Nice build though… looks like the LD set is a best seller

Updated the GrimTool for new version

The build remains largely unchanged, with only a couple of skill adjustment.

Thanks to the buff to Storm Totem and Full Spread, this build is not better than before :stuck_out_tongue: