[1.0.0.9] The WALL Retaliation Shaman \ Solider (Warder Build) Psst

Good evening to all ladies and gentleman’s. Today I want to show you a new build based on a retaliation damage, called “The Wall” I’ve been working for a long time on some stuff for a Warder class and think its interesting conception, worthy of your attention, if no, than don’t waste your time on this lazy type of builds :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

XXX:::Game play video-tutorial:::XXX

There is my character with all gear and maxed stats in a battle, all buffs are ON:

So let’s try to make all things clear with this char, for understanding how it works and “what the hell he is trying to say to all of us!”

—Introduction—
(you can skip it to next stage, its just my minds etc.)

First of all I’m trying many stuff for a char that I have from all my gear, it was started from a strupid 2-h idea that was totally dying even from a mosquito hit. I took all skills to Shaman nerf all good things in solider first. Dawnguard set was too weak to combine some 2-h with a good stuff, so I refused from this idea = combine Ulto’s parts and Dawnguard – I know I know, it’s a shit man :slight_smile:

I found a few things that I needed to complete Dawnbreaker set and I have been flashed by Idea of creating alternative retaliation build based on a lighting damage. I calculate all the things on grim calc and stuff and checked few posts of guys on forum here, who know some mechanics tips to verify my scales. They were looking good. So few weeks of tests and gameplay and here it is:

–Build, How it works–

“THE WALL” Solider-Shaman
Warder build with a large Retaliation damage and good DA, Armor Level, Regeneration

http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-eS6D2R (Update!!! sorry my French forgot about this lol) without bonuses basic

What we have with all gear and skill \ devotion bonuses:

==Resists==
Fire: 87% (+31% Over)
Cold: 87% (+22% Over)
Lighting: 87% (+112% Over)
Poison: 81%
Pierce: 85% (+33% Over) – With a blade barrier skill in use* (Flat 80+8)
Bleeding: 80% (+37% Over)
Vitality: 78%
Aether: 80%
Stun: 73%
Chaos: 54%

==Bonus==
Physical Resist: 11-16% (16%)
Life and Energy Leech: 30%
Slow Resist: 21%
Freeze Resist: 24%
Damage absorption: 14% + 50-100 (Menhirs Bulwark + Overguard)
Armor absorption: 99-100%

==Stats==
OA: 1636 (Not maxed because retaliation things, but goes up to 1980)
DA: 2321 (And can be maxed by Sealing Fate, Tenacity of The boar, Fighting Spirit, total: 2500+)
Armor: 2218 (And can be maxed by Aegis skill by 20% total: 2500+)
Run Speed: 124%
Health Restore: 1109* (and goes up by, +228 [giant’s blood] + 75+35% [tree of life] + 50% [relic aegis skill] + [sealed fate skill] + 108% [Tenacity of The Boar skill] + 50% [Overguard skill] total: +1700-3980)
Energy Restore: 14 (and goes up by skills to 46+)
Reflect Damage: 91% didn’t feel that it does something at all in this build ;(
Bonus to Constitution: 210% (No comments needed here…)
Block Recovery: 30 (and goes up by Overguard to 68%)
Chance to Block: 39
Damage Blocked: 1506 (goes up by Overguard to 2704)

Attributes added: +51 Physique, +28 Cunning, +9 Spirit.
Build based on a combination of required gear (chapter 5)

All gear and devotions give in total about 1080% - 1400% retaliation damage modifiers that increases flat Lighting retaliation damage that goes up to 20 k – 100 k also some gear and devotions have bonuses to prince that also has nice damage potential and can do 49 – 55k damage by using (in battle maxes by Blade Barrier skill and Potion that you can buy in Black Legions store)

All this looks so sweet that it can’t be truth eh? And so there is some “duck” in this entire story, as we see gears and devotions give retaliation bonuses (but as I know, or not) retaliation damage doesn’t work on a ranged targets, so if you hit by some stupid Valdaran he will not get any of your sweet retaliation damage at all, and that a big ass here… The game flows too slowly when you meet some ranged mobs and bosses, so I found only one way how to play little bit faster with this “duck situation”

Add some points to Storm totem and Wind Devil and you will get a little bit DPS damage to many single targets that can’t be harm by Retaliation damage, totally ignore all melee targets, they already dead :smiley: Wind devil reduces resists from lighting with a combination of some gear so Lighting will do a 1-5k dps hahaha! Or you can try play with a Blade Arc from Solider class, but as for me lighting do damage frequently and as it sounds sad our “top” gear has some bonuses to Lighting damage… So after all this perversions you will be able to easily finish Ultimate etc. Didn’t tried this build on Hardcore so will do it and update post some time later.

–Crucible—

Even don’t try, that a stupid idea :smiley: It’s not a crucible solo farmer at all. Or at least you must do it with a partner who can handle with ranged mobs. I successfully finished test with a Crucible on a 100-th wave with no death’s but it took a 5 hours of my life so its = wasted! Some waves was like a hell long especially when mobs get a mutator with +124 health restore bonuses, try to kill him with a dps in 2K ha ha! So I was bored to proceed to wave 100-110 and quit crucible.

Maybe good idea in this situation to take all towers active that can help with ranged things, because I didn’t feel I need some god blessing playing solo.

–Monsters—

Moosilauke: Easy to handle (faceroll me babe, sometimes change the position)
Iron Maiden: Easy (faceroll me babe)
Fabius: Easy (faceroll me babe)
Bennj’har: Easy (faceroll me babe)
Zantarin: Not tested (allyw)
Valdaran: Impossible (not receive any retaliation damage, battle goes similar to this screens of deep hell)
Loghorrean: Easy (need a little bit attention to control of skills to faceroll without problems)
Loxmere: Easy (and fast, as melee attacker)
Lucius: Normal (need a good control of skills with this type of bosses, PV etc.)
High Council: Not tested (but think it’s same as with Valdaran)
The Sentinel: Easy (faceroll me babe)
Bysmiel: Easy (faceroll me babe)
Solael: Normal (chaos and vitality not maxed, sometimes it do dangerous damage, but dies really fast)
Dreeg: Hard (retaliation doesn’t work on it well, and its spawns a lot of eyes that too immune to retaliation, so need to spam frequently totems and wind devil to kill it as fast as possible)

–Gear—
Required items with augments

Helm: Dawguard Helm (Required) Runestone + Mankind’s Vigil
Chest: Dawnguard Chestguard (Sanctified Bone + Mankind’s Vigil) \ Dread Armor of Azragor
Gloves: Dawnguard Gauntlets (Required) Unholy Inscription + Mankind’s Vigil
Waist: Thorn Girdle of the Misty Glade (Required) Spine Carapace + Mankind’s Vigil
Pants: Tornhide Legguards (Required) Scaled Hide + Mankind’s Vigil
Boots: Stormtitan Treads Mark of Mogdrogen + Mankind’s Vigil \ any good boots with resists retaliation bonuses
Relic: Aegis
Shield: Dawnbreaker Duty (Required) Mark of the Myrmidon + Outcasts Bastion
Weapon: Agony Purified Salt + Troll Wart Powder \ Dawnbreaker Sledge
Amulet: Dawnbreaker’s Beacon Attuned Lodestone + Chillheart Powder \ Avenger of Cairn
Ring 1: Closed fist of Vengeance (Required) Corpse Dust + Slith Venom
Ring 2: Open Hand of Mercy (Required) Corpse Dust + Slith Venom
Medal: Empowered Crimson Heart + Aether Soul \ Mark of Divinity

–Devotion—
Map for devotion points

3 Main things we need from devotions is: resists\defense, health restore, retaliation damage

1. We take devotions with bonuses to retaliation damage
  2. We take devotions with flat bonuses and skills with health regeneration
  3. We take defensive and resist devotions to make resists maxed

Start with one point in Chaos, than take Rat, add one point to Eldritch, add one point to Primordial and take Lizard.
Now we have: Chaos 4 Eldritch 4 Primordial 5
Take the Behemoth, remove the Rat, add one point to Order, take a Crane, and add points to Hound, remove points from Primordial and Order
Now we have: Chaos 3 Eldritch 4 Order 5 Primordial 8
Take Ulo, than go to Shieldmaiden (from this point play with a shield), add 1 point to Ascendant, add 3 points to Hammer, and take Harvestman’s Scythe, remove points from Ascendant and Hammer.
Now we have: Ascendant 3 Chaos 3 Eldritch 4 Order 9 Primordial 17
Take Messenger of War on maximum, than remove 1 point from Chaos, than go to Obelisk of Menhir and add 4 points, DA + Retaliation Damage, in a Tree Of Life add 5 points and take a skill, and the last one point you can add wherever you want, I add it to Dryad (+ Poison Resist)
Now we have: Ascendant 3 Chaos 4 Eldritch 4 Order 9 Primordial 20 (50)

–Skills—

Now few words about skills… Things that we need in Soliders are: Menhir’s Bulwark, Overguard, Counterstrike, War Cry, and Blitz. Veterancy, Decorated Solider, Scars of Battle, Military Conditioning, Field Command. Less useful – Menhirs Will, Zolhans Technique, Fighting Spirit.

In Shaman we take: Mogdrogen Pact, Heart of The Wild, Oak Skin, Savagery, and Tenacity of The Boar. Less useful – Wendigo Totem, Storm Totem, Wind Devil, Raging Tempest, and Maelstrom.

So as you see the skill is almost all of defensive type increasing resistances and gives large bonuses to health regeneration, reducing duration damages etc. As I said before Wind Devil and Storm Totem was taken only because of dealing frequent (but small) damage to ranged units. All other things are a good combination of retaliation skills and devotions that increases total Retaliation damage. I prefer more Tenacity of the Boar than Veterancy and Mogdrogens Pact, because it has a % bonus to total health regeneration and also bonuses to DA, OA.

–Leveling—

You can go first to primal strike and 2-h or 1-h with a cadence. You can always switch on retaliation type of build later, when you have all needed gear, this build very picky to your gear, so it not works without items.

–Gameplay–

Use Blitz to get enemies closer, and then activate War Cry so the mobs will begin to hit your character and die. When you get to big stacks use Blade Ward Skill (added to shield) this will improve retaliation damage – you can combine it with a Blade-Ward Tincture (Buy it in Store). U can always just run circles around melee units they will hit you and just die, but when you see any ranged you must use Wind Devil and Storm Totem to make them cry, or they will make cry you :slight_smile: Use Wendigo Totem to heal wounds, if you feel you need more, use Savagery maxed on x6, it gives a lot of regeneration. The skills and devotions will increases level of life restore in combination vs Tenacity of The Boar. With really heavy Bosses you can always activate Overguard and all will be fine.

–Conclusion—

I have positive and negative feelings about this build, it looks fun when mobs are just dying around you, and you don’t need to do anything. But all fun finishes when you have on your way a little spider that uses ONLY ranged attacks on you, and need some time to handle with it, so its one of that stupid parts. I think set of Dawguard must be improved with some things that can help to retaliate ranged etc. Even with not over maxed resists playing ultimate is easy, but long when you fight with some heavy ranged bosses like Bolvar the Bloodbinder. Still doesn’t get how works game mechanics with retaliation and deflect you can’t max both in one build to do retaliation damage to any ranged, melee, magical units.

Nice, I have something very similar: http://imgur.com/hfUqZkh
It’s funny to be able to afk Fabius, much less needing several minutes to kill Thalonis or Valdaran…

And hour for someone like Aetherial Obelisk)

LMAO XD. Can you clear the crucible in idle? I mean can you just afk and hang out a little bit then comeback with 10 waves clear?

Yes it’s the really sad sad story - one of this “ducks” in game, and the hell why it not having retaliation when Obelisk statrts use tentacles (on50% health) when he hits the character. O_o

How much you have retaliation damage and what relic use? :slight_smile:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49867

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36239

You can refer to those two builds

Neither of them can do Van Aldritch Trio
But the Battlemage can easily kill Valdaran, Van Aldritch success rate is rather low but then again i haven’t touched that build in ages. Maybe i can tweak things

I use Eye of the Storm

Screen with only toggle skills on: http://imgur.com/2U7riWf
With some procs: http://imgur.com/6u9K0wS (missing the proc on the pants that proved too annoying to catch, Stone Skin isn’t maxed)

I dropped DA on my retaliation character from about 2480 to 2300. The monsters were missing too much even with Fevered Rage on them. Can you remove the DA node on Obelisk?

Hello Folks,

My 2 cents here as I made a similar warder, all self-found.

I have found myself in possession of quite a bit of “Perdition”, “Dawnbreaker” and “Dawnguard” armor. I have complete sets of all of those, actually…
So if you are like me, you may want to find a constructive use for it, and I think this character will do nicely.

If you don’t have a character that can farm ultimate Fabius, Iron Maiden, etc and have some retaliation gear lying around, this is an excellent shortcut. My Saboteur has cleared challenger crucible wave 150 but struggles on ultimate Fabius, where as my retaliation warder consistently downs U-Fabius and other melee enemies.

Not sure why Wendigo totem is classified as “less useful” I find that I still take more than enough damage in ultimate to need it for Nemesis fights.

I would also like to say that I absolutely agree with OP, this build is useless for Crucible 100%.

I hope that provides a bit of context on how this build can shine, good job to OP.

-Verdict

Thank you for the info :slight_smile: Will check all

Well with a over +3700 regeneration from other skills (the way I tried max skills that can improve that part) I didn’t feel that Wendigo Totem in this case do a lot of things to help, so I categorized it in this configuration as “less” but of course, there is a benefit :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks better with that relic in damage (Btw I didn’t have this one to craft) but how goes with survival? I just concentrated my mind on two things: surviving in melee as retaliation requires to be hitted,

tried to get rid from a life potions at all, but only because sometimes screen freezes and I can’t controll a process of a battle (that’s only my problem I hope)

also there is one thing I worry about - DA gives a good reason to be maxed - to avoind critical hits - but more DA you have, less monsters can hit you, as chance to hit goes low, so if they not hit you with high DA, they don’t get their portion of retaliation lol

It depends on a waves and bosses, if you lucky to have melee 10 waves or at least have damage obelisks to hit some ranged - Yes you can.
But there is the things with a deep meaning that some bosses can reduce health regeneration and debuff skills\resists. Shure I can say, that on some waves I just stand and play something on my telephone - but also was waves that was difficult.

I tried crucible by Tri-Elementalist saboteur and for me that was a hell to handle a wave with The Sentiel. And by this char The Sentiel wave was easiest :smiley:

Yes I thinking about it, it can be place somwhere else