[1.0.4.1] The silent trapper - Infiltrator/Trap Engineer

“Ultimate Defensive Force (UDF), a cult recently arising in the ravaged land of Cairn, has started to spread its doctrines across the warriors, men and women alike. Its members, warriors coming from different parts of Cairn strongly believe that “What cannot hit you will not kill you” and “I need to live to continue my fight to see the day Cairn is liberated”. To do so, they all train themselves under extreme hardship, to ultimately earn themselves the title “HUMAN TANKS”, respected by many of their comrades. In the battlefield, they are the living vanguards that protect their comrades, as well as the commoners staying behind the walls, including their love ones. The stories about their fortitude and bravery will continue to be preached for a long time to come.”

Hi guys, to follow up the new DA worship style of playing the game from the Chinese GD community, I have come up with this trapper build. Make trapper great again. All hail the traps.

Here is the build:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrELd1V

or a much much more offensive version (I didn’t realize there was so much pierce damage in both runes, gosh, my bad). And also, Seal of Annihilation is not that good of a choice because I don’t need any attack or cast speed. Probably 7500 aether/chaos damage absorption is more solid, can help me tank at least 1 big meteor from Aleksander, who knows it may hit me some day.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9rllnZ

My original build involves wearing full Runebinder set because the 5th option seems good to get. However, doing so requires my character to cast Inquisitor Seal at the feet of my enemies, which will expose myself under enemy’s fire without the protection of the Seal. Then I realize there is such a thing called Mythical Tome of Names, which does basically the same thing, while being more reliable. Now I can free up a weapon slot, and I only need to cast Seal at my own feet. With the weapon slot free, I can now use Mythical Spelldrinker, for the obvious reason if you look at its stats.
As you can see from the gearing and resistances, the build ultimately requires 4 BiS items. However, judging from the fact that many of the resistances are already highly overcapped, and most of the augments I use are Wendigo Lifescent powder, the build is actually fully functional even with suboptimal gears. Just feel free to substitute the items you don’t have yet, and use the augments accordingly to max out all res.
Please note that my in-game skills can be a bit different from grimtools link because the relic offers +1 to 2 different skills for Inquisitor.

Offensive Ability

From the sheet stat, it is true that my OA is a bit low. The last time I checked, at about 2500 OA (when Deadly Momentum and all other !@#$ are not on, Fabius crit chance is only 18%). Seems so low right? However, we have a solid tool to settle the OA issue, called Biting Cold. At 19/12, enemy DA is reduced by a stupid amount of 320 DA. This increases our effective OA when both Deadly Momentum and Rune of Hagarrad up to 3k-3k1 OA, which is now quite reasonable.

Damage

This build possesses one of the most –RR for any build in game. We have -33% elemental res from Aura of Censure, -30% cold res from Veil of Shadow (note that these 2 buffs are always on and affect the surrounding enemy constantly), -22% elemental res from Mythical Tome of Names (all you need to do is crit), -23% cold res from Rumor (Murmur devotion) and -32 flat elemental res from Elemental Storm. To sum up, we have -140% cold res and -87% fire res (why – fire res here? Because I use both runes to deal damage and cc).

Why not Viper? Well, I used to have that but my friend told me it only reduces resistance for skill with %Weapon Attack. Not sure how true is this but I heed his words anyway and remove it.

Why not use Ignafar’s Combustion you say? Well, this relic and Vengeance offer the same +1 skills Inquisitor and some %elemental damage but I am a hardcore member of UDF, thus I choose to wear the latter.

And since we already have so much –RR, why care about another 10%.
The good thing about 2 Rune skills is that they have no % weapon damage, meaning I don’t need to stack flat damage at all, just %elemental or cold damage will do. This results in more leeway for me to go fully defensive.

Defensive Ability

As you can see in the link, the devotion set up is very defensive, towards getting all the +% DA, not to mention the superb cleanse-it-all Ulo, the beefy absorption from Tortoise and Ishtak. Note that we have another -130 OA from Veil of Shadow, thus effective DA is even more. The last time I checked, Fabius has 22% chance to land a “caress” on me. Note that this sheet hit chance does not take into account the –OA from Veil, so the real chance is even lower (unless he SS me, of course).

Besides the ultra-high DA, we also have good dodge/deflection chance from Pneumatic Burst. 21% dodge and 46% deflection chance are just “great”.
Therefore, even after an enemy can manage to bypass my thick layer of DA, he or she (or mostly it) still needs to bypass another dodge/deflection layer. Good luck with that.

Finally, when the hits actually land on me, I have Tortoise and Ishtak to absorb some of the damage. And did I say we have Inquisitor Seal? Yes, just stand inside it and we don’t need to go anywhere else. 445 damage absorption at 22/12 is just so good we can forget about the danger of Cairn.
The only down side of our defence is the low armor and Phy res. Well, can’t do much about that. To achieve one thing, I have to sacrifice another.
The tertiary res of this build is among the best I have ever seen. Trap, Petrify, Freeze, Stun res are maxed out when all !@#$ proc.

Survivability/Maintenance

As you can see, HP of this build is sufficient (14K). Then we have 2 healing skills, one has 10s CD and the other 15s. We also have a circuit breaker (honestly I rarely need to use it).

There is little energy issue here. Energy regeneration is good. Just be careful when you cast Chillspikes. It really burns your mana. I use it to proc Elemental Storm, by the way. Plus, 60% energy absorption is super great, because mobs and bosses cannot hit you well but as long as they use skills, you get energy absorption. Since you stay in 1 place, they have tons of chances to use skills. It’s not rare to see sometimes my energy regen goes up to 200-300/s.

Edited: Just rerun another 150-170, mana sustainability is not as good as I thought.

Videos

Standard crucible 150-170: https://youtu.be/3V8kRXfiQSs

With respect to Crucible, the common setup I usually do is 2 buffs no banner (choose HP and damage buffs, for all builds I have). Since I completed this build, I has only managed to run 2 150-170, one normal and another with extra spawns. Without extra, it took me 12min (I didn’t really use timer but half of the buff duration was gone, so I guess it was 12min). With extra, it was around 14-15min. I can’t say much about the extra spawns because I have completed it only once. By the way, the 170th wave of that extra spawns run was with 1 Kuba, 2 Grava, 1 Zantarin… I just needed to kite once until Kuba went down, then I stayed till the end.

Most of the time I can facetank, except when Kuba comes up, need to kite probably once every 5s. To be honest, for this build, I hate Aleksander the most, he took so long to go down, and he can team heal instantly (or is it another mob that I don’t know?). Even with Fabius and Moosi (94% cold res), I don’t have that much trouble. Gosh know why that healing is even worse than Kuba’s…

Closing Words

Please help me improve the build if you guys spot any mistake (of course, without compromising the DA). Hope you guys like this build.

Credits

Many thanks to a build posted in the Chinese build thread. That build is the reason I switched from full Runebinder set to Mythical Tome of Names. That build, as far as I remember, also use runes as main damage source, just that he is a Mage Hunter unlike my Infiltrator.

Looks neat, how about some videos? I saw a similiar build but Mage Hunter with Star Pact destroying Crucible in shitty gear.

Also, nitpicking into your grim tools, I think if you shave three points of Pneumatic Burst and invest it in Shadow Dance it would be more beneficial for your build overall and more in line with “high DA/dodge” meta.

Ok, so I like your build but since you asked for some Grimtools suggestions and I just love procrastinating in Grimtools, here is what I did.

Yes, you lose 1k hp, but in your case I don’t think it will matter given how many defenses you have going on for this build. But, your dodge/evade chances increase and you gain a significant damage boost by having Rune of Kalastor soft capped and 5 additional points in Aura of Censure. Plus I am not sure if you have +1 to artifact handling on your relic, because if you don’t you can just shave 1 point of it too.

Your suggestion seems quite neat, but sadly I can’t go back on mastery tree in Nightblade. Also, 5 extra points into Aura of Censure just to get -5% more ele res, not sure if it is worth the sacrifice of other skills.

Ah, but you can! It’s an option since AoM got released. Just click on the button which adds skill points to mastery bar while interacting with the Sage. 5 extra points in Aura of Censure is also bigger radius!

Wow, didn’t know that. Thanks for the trick. However, I still can’t do so because the offhand requires quite some spirit investment to wear, sadly. Also, Aura of Censure at 12/12 already has 8m radius which is quite big to be honest.

Just managed to do another 150-170 run and recorded. In the video, you see why I hate Aleksander so much. Or maybe I just don’t know how to fight him.

This is my 1st time recording gaming video. Didn’t expect it to be so laggy. My FPS dropped all the way from 60 to 30-40.

Anyway, can anyone confirm that -rr effect of Viper only works on skills that have % weapon damage?

If you wish to try it, you still can do it. Just use Tonic of Reshaping to reset invested points into Attributes and put as much points in spirit as needed.

P.S: The build is nice. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Strannik

Impressive. I didnt realize a build would be able to survive 170 glad with no sustain besides heal skills (pburst/renewal). Congrats!

Looking at the bulid, im wondering why you went for Inflitrator (nightblade)? Why not go vindicator (shaman) instead? With Shaman, you can get more crit (35%), more -rr% (5%), more OA/DA (although DA change probably minimal difference since shaman lose some OA shred). Also instead of pburst you get wendigo totem.

Would look something like this https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4VxG0g52

Also, does rune of kalistor really do much damage for you? Theres only really 2 points in it. Wondering if the points would be better spent elsewhere to support rune of Hagard since that seems to be the major dps source (such as stom box or word of pain for DA shred so rune of H crits better. If you put one pt in each of those skills, u shred 100 DA based on your build) .

Edit: Also, you might already know this, but just wanted to point out that pburst heal vs wendigo totem - pburst is approx 32% health resotred over 10 seconds, which is about 480 hp regn per sec (based on 15k hp). Wendigo totem is 5% +500 hp each 1/2 second, so 10% +1000 each second, which is 2,500 hp regen a sec. Big differrence. Also, biggest drawback about wendigo totem is that you need to stand near the totem to use it, but since you are already using inq seal and standing there anyways, no negative.

You have 2 exclusive skills in that link.

Oh dang yeah. well guess u could put the pts somewhere else. Maybe can max out rune of kalidor or storm box.

Maybe like this https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnaLbdZ

You could go either i guess, i still prefer nightblade for veil of shadows -OA, pbursts total speed and to some extent, the dodge (and i prefer the active on demand heal over wendigo totem) and stuff like anatomy of murder (which helps out when dealing with maiden, fabius and alex) Plus i also make use of phantasmal armor on my rune infiltrator for the energy sustain. That was the biggest issues i had when doing ravager (in the end though i had to redo my devotions and get bards harp. no regrets there though, energy is never an issue anymore now). Overall i think nightblade has more utility for this build over shaman. And if you really really wanted more OA you could always rearrange some points and stick them into lethal assault

That screen shake was pretty nauseating. :frowning: And it affects precision placement of your seals too.

Anyway it’s good to see a pure rune build. I have something similar planned but with some key differences. Unfortunately I won’t have much time to develop it and I don’t want to reveal it just yet. All I can say is that it was also inspired by Chinese-style DA fetishism, but it’s a bit more balanced. :stuck_out_tongue:

Too heavily reliance on MI gears with very specific affixes.

Not really. Of course the end version’s MI will look hectic but on a closer look, you may notice that these MIs and affixes are not as specific and crucial as you may think.

Note that Stalwart is a yellow prefix, and same goes for Readiness. Living Ring, although being an MI, is ways easier to drop than many other boss-specific MIs such as Cronley’s Signet. If you are not lucky enough to drop one, just wear Judicator’s Seal in the mean time.

Kuba chauses for example, I choose it because it has nice armor, some OA and good pierce res. If you don’t have it, you can still go and craft a white heavy armor pant with Stalwart prefix and any suffixes with pierce res such as Scorched Rune or Flesh Hulk.

Boot is a craftable one, so it is also ways easier than other parts to get the right one. If you a low on materials, just craft a normal level 94 boot instead, as long as the prefix Renegade’s is there. Again, the suffix Survival is also optional but good to have. Anything else providing you DA or HP will do.

Last but not least, if you are unlucky enough to get this specific medal with shown affixes, just farm a bit of Act 5, a Stalwart Rylok Crest/Mark will do. Easier now?

With all mentioned replacement, the resistances may fall off a bit but then you can feel free to apply the augments the way you want. I mentioned before that most of my augments are Wendigo Lifescent Powder, 7 of them used.

eh, stalwart of readiness isn’t exactly hard to obtain compared to double rare MI stuff you see on many forum builds. Besides you can swap out the pants and boots to legendaries while still retaining the DA. You’ll lose some OA and hp (and stun, but in my experience stun is basically irrelevant on high DA builds) and the build would still work.
And if you swapped out the wendigo eye for a rylok mark/crest you’d be able to push even more DA.

Only swapped out the boots and legs and an augment https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9rlRWZ

And if you’re really insistent on not having any MIs on the build
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4NOg4GKN
If you throw up a stonewall banner with this you should be able to do 170 just fine.

Some devotion suggestions:

• Remove Jackal, finish Murmur, add Crossroads Chaos
  • Remove chaos and aether resist nodes of Empty Throne, add Crossroads Ascendant, add Obelisk of Menhir armor node, replace 1 lifescent powder with Mankind’s Vigil
  • (Optional) Remove pierce resist node of Empty Throne, add first node of Staff of Rattosh, replace 1 lifescent powder with Malmouth Soulguard Powder

For the last two, another option is to grab the stun resist/freeze resist/armor absorption node of Obelisk. That way, your stun and freeze resists will be maxed permanently and your net armor will improve. Actually your stun resist would go to 10% overcapped, so you could remove the Empty Throne stun resist node and put it in the Obelisk armor node. 75% stun resist is still not bad.

Final result: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9rlDWZ

EDIT:

Light of Empyrion Variant: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EOxm3Z

Health is lower but overall performance should be better.

Is the name a referrence to Silent Bomber? :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the name a referrence to Silent Bomber?

Not really, just a random name I think of. You know, a trapper, stand there silently, all he/she does is to set up traps.

Light of Empyrion Variant: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EOxm3Z

Health is lower but overall performance should be better.

Well, with such DA and dodge/deflection rate, I’m not sure if the proc is useful at all, not to mention 2.5s cooldown.

Anyway, the devotion change suggestion is really neat. Thanks a lot man, will try it soon.

Ah yes, forgot about the dodge rate, never mind about the LoE variant then. Glad you liked the other version though.