(1.0.5.1) Elemental Luminari Mage Hunter

One of my favorite builds to play since the expansion. Lots of potential imo to lay waste to everything. Elemental damage all around with lots of RR to use.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYRL0A2

Shard of Beronath is the main attack component.
Full Luminari Regalia set. - So Much fun.
Only 1 purple gear in tomb of the arcane wastes.

Throw up Seal, word of pain, word of renewal, go to town. if necessary drink a potion, very rarely did i ever need to.

It might not look like much but he hits like rock and can take it as well.

Devotions are all purple and Green even the minor ones.

Elemental Storm - Shard of Baronath
Arcane Currents - Storm Spread
Elemental Seeker - Word of Pain

Attachment: GD6.jpg
Attachment: GD5.jpg

Your health and OA are both really low. You also didn’t use all available Devotion points, it seems?

Mythical Eternal Band’s RR is pretty useless so long as you go Viper/Ultos and Rhowan’s Crown in Devotions, which I’d recommend. (you have crown currently, don’t have Viper or Ultos though, I’d recommend grabbing Viper)

I’d recommend against overmaxing Deadly Aim. The return for overmaxing it is very low. You’re much better off overmaxing Word of Renewal for extra DA.

I’d also highly recommend overmaxing Maiven’s instead of maxing Arcane Will. Maiven’s gives good returns for the overmax levels (increase to total damage and damage absorption).

If you can get your OA to be >=2650 without Deadly Aim active your build may be able to clear all campaign content, but as it stands you’re operating under maximum efficiency because you won’t be able to crit most nemesis monsters/superbosses (and Mage Hunter has some of the best +% crit damage of any class, so that’s a huge amount of missed DPS).

EDIT: Here are some adjustments which keep the core your build and items intact. I adjusted a couple components, swapped Eternal Band rings for Signets of the Runefather, rebalanced skills, and grabbed Viper + Chariot in Devotions. This build has 425 DA reduction between Rune of Hagarrad and Storm Box of Elgoloth, which should be enough to trigger Deadly Aim and get crits reliably.

Sorry, for some reason i used incomplete grim tools link, its been fixed.

i reliably get crits now with this build, when everything procs ie: deadly aim, im right around 2900 to 3k OA which is enough to crit, i have high survivabilty without sacrificing much in the way of an attack.

You could also get some more interesting Constellations:

2 last point in Rhowan’s Crown can be cut; Raven and/or Hawk also. You could get Oklaine’s Lantern or Whirlpool instead. That’s way more DA and attack speed.

I wanted to stick with straight elemental devotions, ill look into oklaines lantern, but i dont think i could get the whole thing, i rearranged it and could only get 4 extra. i want to keep the bulk of what i picked, makes sense for the build.

Latern only if he uses a sceptre, dagger or caster offhand.

… the build has an off-hand … so ?

Lantern provides the green nodes you need. And the last 2 points of Rhowan are not really helpful for HL content. You can go for this:
grimtool

Explanation:
-2 points in Blind Sage; +1 green point in the Crossroads; erase Raven; get Oklaine; get your green back from Crossroads; -2 points in Rhowan; +2 back in Blind Sage; +1 in Mogdrogen (35 OA).

Or pop a potion.

My suggestions still stand. Eternal Band is doing pretty much nothing for you here (the RR doesn’t stack with Viper/Elemental Storm from Rhowan’s Crown). Your skill point investment is also really inefficient. Grabbing Rune of Hagarrad should be easy and will help you proc Deadly Aim more reliably.

The problem with relying on Deadly Aim to get to ~3K OA is your crit chance may be ~1% against some enemies (at 2500 OA with no DA reduction), so Deadly Aim won’t trigger often enough. You need more effective OA before Deadly Aim triggers. 2750 effective OA is a good number to aim for.

Here’s a breakdown of some skills I think you overinvested in:

Deadly Aim - the 6 points overmax gives +3% OA, +3% Crit Damage, and +30% to All Damage. This isn’t worth the investment, especially considering the fact that you have +6 to Inquisitor Skills.

The investment in the Word of Pain tree is also wasteful. You’ve spent 34 skill points on a skill that won’t ever deal a significant amount of damage for your build. Your build is an auto-attacker, the majority of your damage is going to come from your weapon and your devotion procs. WoP is not worth the investment. Put one point in each skill in the WoP tree and use it to trigger devotions.

Arcane Will is also a waste. This skill works best as a 1-point wonder save in the rare situation when it’s the best solution for an energy-starved character. +% Damage is not valuable on skills/devotions because you can get plenty from just gearing properly. +1500% to your primary damage type is all you really need (a little more doesn’t hurt, but it should be the first thing you cut when optimizing a build). OA, DA, Health, flat damage, attack speed, and crit damage are far more valuable investments.

Quick glance and I thought it was a shield. :o Just had my eyes tested too. :eek:

Exactly this. I learnt it the hard way!