[1.0.5.1] Warlock Artificer -- S&B Vit Hexer

Warlock Artificer – Vitality based sword and board hexer.

Preface:
This build represents the late stages of evolution for my first grim Dawn character: Warlock. It has undergone several changes during its lifetime; starting off as a Pet build, then morphing into a channelled skill caster and various tank builds, and then to its new format: S&B Vitality Warrior. Much of that change was driven by gear drops or kill walls in game, and as such, I feel that it represents the final stages of a long journey. That journey has been a great experience and is filled with hours of enjoyment, frustration and elation. With that said, Warlocks are not the strongest mastery combination and this is by no means the strongest of builds available to a player.

The Build:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4ZDD8gpZ
Screenshot shows all permanent and temporary buffs activated:

Build Features:

• Solid OA DA
  • Sustainable dps
  • Solid vitality damage scaling at 2589%
  • Good resistance reduction across the board, and vitality -rr at 65%
  • Good crit damage at 72%
  • Good Life steal ranging between 24% to 48%
  • Good survivability from Dark One’s Gift, Possession, Mirror and Maiven’s, reduced enemy damage and health regeneration(Bloody Pox and modifiers to it), OA shred (Bloody Pox, Gaze of Beronath) DA nerf (Vulnerability), and a good health pool (for a Warlock).
  • Energy efficient
  • Potential for Blood of Dreeg to go down at awkward moments
  • Hungering Void eats into your health regen speed and has to be noted.
  • Single target damage is weaker than I would like.
  • Resistance over-cap is not where I’d like it

Gearing:
Full Dark One Set. +1 to all skills in Occultist. Just a nice set for a Bloody Pox build with built in damage and healing. My new favourite.
Main Hand + Off Hand: Mythical Damnation, Mythical Maw of the Damned (Seal of Blades for over-cap and 4% phys res) +2 to all skills in Occultist
Medal: Mythical Mark of the Forbidden. Has a Bloody Pox modifier that adds both vit damage and shreds enemy health regen.
Amulet: Mythical Peerless Eye of Beronath – for +1 to all skills and for OA/-OA, seal of annihilation applied for crits.
Relic: Eldritch Pact +1 to all skills in Occultist – amazing proc that fires regularly, due to the high number of attacks per second occurring during combat, and does solid damage to boot.
Rings: Voidheart as a mastery based option, General’s Gollus’ ring of Protection for… everything really!
Belt: Mythical Girdle of Stolen Dreams. OA bonus, energy leech, +skills in Occultist
Pants & Boots: Vigorous Aleksander’s Leg guards of Scorched Runes for the health + skills and OA/DA, but mostly health. Mythical Footpads of the Grey Magi for the priceless value of not being entrapped or slowed and some welcome extra phys res – I can’t stress enough what a difference this change made.

Devotions:
A mixture of Defense, Mobility and Offensive devotions:

• Dying God --> vitality build, 40% crits damage and good vitality damage multiplier.
  • Rattosh --> 25% Vitality rr and 8% Life leech rr attached to Bloody Pox for large AoE and decent duration.
  • Wendigo --> Attached to Curse of Frailty, it operates as trash removal and adcth sustain.
  • Vulture and Solemn Watcher for DA scaling and other defensive bonuses
  • Sailor’s Guide, Eel, Lizard and Lion --> mainly for movement speed but some nice bonuses in there anyway, particularly in Sailor’s Guide and Eel.
  • Eye of the Guardian (attached to Beronath’s Gaze) for close quarters damage. It can really stack up if Gaze is cast on a mob and upwards of 8 Eyes are generated. Little beauty.
  • Scholar’s Candle, Hawk --> You need 10 green and this is quick, plus Hawk for crit damage multiplier and Scholar’s Light for DA and Energy regen.

Keybindings:

LMB: Doom Bolt/auto weapon attack
RMB: Hungering Maw

Quick Bar 1:
Keyboard 1: Mirror of Erocstes
Keyboard 2: Curse of Frailty
Keyboard 3: Bloody Pox
Keyboard 4: Sigil of Consumption
Keyboard 5: Bloodthirster

Quick bar 2
Keyboard 1: Courageous Tincture
Keyboard 2: Blood of Dreeg
keyboard 3: Nullification
Keyboard 4: Gaze of Beronath
Keyboard 5: Cursed Tincture

Camera Rotate: w/r
Character Window: c
Quick bar toggle: v
Map: b
Weapon swap: spacebar

Initial attack:
Cast Curse of Frailty and observe
Cast Bloody Pox into the centre of mass of any mobs
Cast Sigil on yourself and prepare for some tanking!
Attack with main and off-hand for dps and sustain (Doom Bolt will fire after cool-down)
Cast Gaze of Beronath for regular petrifaction over a local area
Cast Nullification on any suspicious target
kite when necessary
Repeat with necessary variations.

Build Explanation and Performance:
I am a huge fan of Artificer Warlocks from the D&D universe and this build slowly morphed into something similar. While the character underwent many changes, it was not until I started focusing the build into its current form that I felt either happy or capable. The Artificer side of the equation is described by in-game crafting and potion creation. And this builder loves his potions! Regular use of tinctures, oils and elixirs are a part of the game-play of this build, and while not strictly required, I do so for role playing purposes and for the obvious benefits to any build these tools bring. Vitality damage was well supported and seemed sensible from both a game-play and role-playing perspective. Performance in ultimate campaign is reliable and solid. While I have yet to encounter all Nemesis (due to alignment and choice) I am confident that the majority of Nemesis may be taken down by this build. The build is Crucible Gladiator 150 complete, and while I have yet to succeed, I do believe it capable of 170 (currently I lack the experience with those waves, and individual skill always plays its part-- I’m OK but not amazing).

Gladiator 150:

And true to form this beautiful game has yet more evolution for Jackdaw the Warlock Artificer. In my ongoing efforts to bring this guy to 170 I have made more changes to the build and can happily announce that it is now Gladiator 150 No Banners No Buffs Complete, and that it went as far as 160 no buffs and no banners. I feel that 170 rapidly approaching. First post has been updated to reflect these changes.

Are you trying to do 170 unbuffed?

P.S. The build is really interesting. Would you say that this is a hybrid caster/fighter toon? I would have thought it’d be a lot more ‘spell’ based and was curious as to why you invested so many points into solael’s witchfire. Perhaps it’d be prudent to use seal of blight instead?

As it is, it appears to me that there is some waste of skill points going on here. I may be wrong, but I typically either focus on cast speed (i.e. mental alacrity), or attack speed. The reason for this being that I cannot both simultaneously cast spells and attack.

In a completely foolhardy fashion, yes. But I really am not sure if it’s possible? I may be able to pot my way through as I have some nice alchemy skills now :smiley: I only used three pots to go to 160: Ugdensalve, Ugdenjuice and Hoarfrost (when Moosi shows up). I have many more options available.

Seal of blight certainly did make an appearance in early iterations of this Warlock. But as it is now almost all vit based, Acid Purge is no longer a useful skill. In addition, I used Abomination’s Tainted Eruption as its proc during that period, it was fun, and in the campaign it was highly viable. But it did not cut it in Crucible.

I would indeed classify him as a hybrid Caster/Warrior. Cast speed isn’t overly important in this build as I am not using any channeled skill, and aside from Doom Bolt, most of my damage is DoT based or from direct weapon attacks. It is these weapon attacks that provide a decent amount of my life-steal. Used in conjunction with Bloodthirster and Hungering Maw, it really is a good way to stay alive. I wanted to keep Ghoul as that is wonderful at replenishing health; however, Guardian’s Gaze is extremely powerful against mobs, and even against single targets when you have enough eyes rotating. Ghoul sadly had to be traded, but the results speak for themselves.

Attack speed is slightly slower than the previous version, and I certainly agree that more is better for this build. But Hungering Void procs regularly from Hungering Maw and adds 10% more to that figure.

*Edit

The way I see this Warlock is that he strikes at a targets offensive abilities thereby preventing them from striking him (especially with nasty crits). Simultaneously, he debilitates the health of the target with vit/vit decay based attacks, while massively reducing the targets ability to regenerate health. Hence the use of the term Hexer. It’s not so much about how hard he hits, rather, it is about how hard he nerfs.